Premier League 2015-16

The pundits on Sky last night looked like their dogs had just died when Tottenham drew. For whatever reason, they aren't that happy that Leicester are likely to win the league.

It's a bit like up here, the media seem to love the big teams and the status quo - you'd think that Leicester would be the best marketing campaign that the FA and Sky could hope for but apparently - no!

While it was probably a bit of an over-reaction, as a broadcaster they're going to want it to go down to the final day.  You could argue (pretty tenuously admittedly) that true neutrals would rather it did so too.  I want Leicester to win it, but if that was guaranteed, I'd much rather they did it by going to Stamford Bridge on the final day and pipping Spurs.  The way it is now, Leicester will probably have it won on Sunday, rendering the biggest story of the year over.

Of course, that's probably thinking much too far into it.

• Replies 13k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

probably find a few golf stories (someone mentioned tom watson) where a rank amateur or barely turned pro wins a major because someone pulled out right at the tee off time and this wee guy was imply coming off a practise session on the putting green next door and got the place lol

John Daly in 1991 at the USPGA was the 9th standby but went on to win the tournament after a very late call, a drive through the night and was straight on to the tee with barely a practice swing, never mind a practice round.

In football I think Kaiserlautern won the Bundesliga in the early 90's straight after winning promotion from the 2nd division.

John Daly in 1991 at the USPGA was the 9th standby but went on to win the tournament after a very late call, a drive through the night and was straight on to the tee with barely a practice swing, never mind a practice round.

In football I think Kaiserlautern won the Bundesliga in the early 90's straight after winning promotion from the 2nd division.

the john daly one sounds a cracker, would loved to have seen that but i was only 9 at the time lol

Don't take it to heart, I explained the one I'd somehow missed. The other one was left out with good reason.

Don't worry about it m-eight. You made a mistake, these things happen.

Ivanisevic winning Wimbledon from the Wild Card spot was one too.

He was a professional and three-time runner-up, though, and in any case I don't think knock-out tournaments and cups can compare. Leicester's challenge is the most difficult of all: maintained success over the course of a season at the highest level of the sport.

To win a cup as an underdog is special but to win a league is just about as good as it gets. (Possible exception being the Champions' League: playing the elite over the course of a season in a half-league, half-cup.)

Deportivo La Coruna?

Sweden recently had Noerkopping(?) win the league, they'd been a lower league side for years, rarely been in the top flight and won it last season.

Western Sydney Wanderers won the A league in their first season.

Then the Asian champions league in their debut season in the tournament.

Archived