When will indyref2 happen?

Colkitto

Indyref2  

819 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

On 22/09/2023 at 14:37, DeeTillEhDeh said:

Average No lead in the final days was 5% - the actual lead double that. 

Either don't knows switched to No or possibly don't knows who would not admit they were No voters.

Even before The Vow the lead was similar. 

I personally don't think it was as big an influence as some think - the main thing it did was not persuade people to change their vote but to get No voters to vote.

Precisely. Salmond predicted before the vote that a high turnout would be good news for Yes because long term apathetics were hardly going to come out to back the status quo. Then they did exactly that.

The highest turnouts were in affluent No voting areas like Stirling and Edinburgh. 

11 hours ago, Donathan said:

Precisely. Salmond predicted before the vote that a high turnout would be good news for Yes because long term apathetics were hardly going to come out to back the status quo. Then they did exactly that.

The highest turnouts were in affluent No voting areas like Stirling and Edinburgh. 

They didn't turn out. They sent in their envelopes because they were worried about their worst pension in the whole of Europe. Some even managed to send their envelopes in from the grave, that's how eager they were to save the mighty yoonyon.

On 22/09/2023 at 14:50, DeeTillEhDeh said:

It was the outlier Yes leads that had them shitting themselves.

Correct.  The Vow was brought in due to panic.

Polling in general was still in favour of keeping the country in tact, both before and after the Vow.

The notion that the vow swung 11% of the vote is fantasy.  Even if it did swing a few voters, then so what?  It was just part of a campaign.  As a Unionist, I wish they hadn't done it, as we ended up having to give away some powers to the devolved assembly.

Quite funny how Foote is pulling the strings in the SNP now though.

You know something I've not seen in a while? Conspiracy theories that the ScotsNazis are going to round up all the Unionists and kill them, possibly replacing them with foreign SNP voters.

I presume it must have actually happened or something, as it was very popular for a while. Bit peeved that I was never approached to help out.

4 hours ago, BTFD said:

You know something I've not seen in a while? Conspiracy theories that the ScotsNazis are going to round up all the Unionists and kill them, possibly replacing them with foreign SNP voters.

I presume it must have actually happened or something, as it was very popular for a while. Bit peeved that I was never approached to help out.

I was given a sledgehammer. All morning I killed Yoons.

• 3 weeks later...

Channel surfing and on Channel 5 now is a show called Storm Huntley. It's a phone in show and today's topic is Scottish independence. 

Geoffrey from the Isle of Man cannot understand why Scots don't just accept the result of the 2014 referendum and stop talking about it. 

13 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

Linda from Kent wants the rest of the UK to have a vote to expel Scotland from the Union. 

Was there any pushback to this, like pointing out that Scotland doesn't belong to the UK/England?

Honestly, this dipshitted attitude is really depressing - more than anything, in my view, this imperialist hangover where so many Brits are incapable of understanding an equal union, rather than one political entity being dominated by another, is why Brexit happened; we weren't dictated to by Brussels, we were Brussels.

Bah!

23 minutes ago, Alan Twelve said:

Was there any pushback to this, like pointing out that Scotland doesn't belong to the UK/England?

Honestly, this dipshitted attitude is really depressing - more than anything, in my view, this imperialist hangover where so many Brits are incapable of understanding an equal union, rather than one political entity being dominated by another, is why Brexit happened; we weren't dictated to by Brussels, we were Brussels.

Bah!

Yeah, they had a guy on (not sure who) whose job was to make the pro-independence argument. He started on the shared assets/shared liabilities line when some other talking head interrupted him with "What currency will you use?" as he was sounding far too measured and sensible. 

1 hour ago, scottsdad said:

Yeah, they had a guy on (not sure who) whose job was to make the pro-independence argument. He started on the shared assets/shared liabilities line when some other talking head interrupted him with "What currency will you use?" as he was sounding far too measured and sensible. 

FFS.

Given that any attempt to seriously answer the question will inevitably result in a lengthy explanation as to how that can never work, the correct response to "What currency will you use?" is "Your mum."

One of the points that swayed the english vote for Brexit was that they didn't want to be RULED from Brussels, ironic that Scotland an equal partner in the union was ruled from england for 300 years and in many ways it continues.

When are those pathetic little englanders going to wake up to the fact that they are insignificant in world matters and the USA decides their foreign policies.

8 hours ago, scottsdad said:

Channel surfing and on Channel 5 now is a show called Storm Huntley. It's a phone in show and today's topic is Scottish independence. 

Geoffrey from the Isle of Man cannot understand why Scots don't just accept the result of the 2014 referendum and stop talking about it. 

It's a fair point tbh.

Although most Scots have actually accepted it.  Scottish nationalists don't speak for Scots.

On 17/10/2023 at 11:51, scottsdad said:

Having Googled one of the most recent Deadpool casualties, I was surprised to see that she was one of the 200 signatories of the pre-referendum  letter to The Guardian in support of the Union. I had not previously looked at the full list of signatories, but they are listed below. An eclectic bunch, to say the least.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2014/aug/07/celebrities-open-letter-scotland-independence-full-text