When will indyref2 happen?

Colkitto

Indyref2  

819 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

On 17/10/2023 at 17:30, SandyCromarty said:

england needs many more Linda's from Kent.

I had an overnight in Cranbrooks George Hotel in the summer, bar full of pissheads.

Kent is absolutely chock-full of Lindas from Kent.

Not all called Linda, granted, but total kents nonetheless.

21 minutes ago, Thane of Cawdor said:

Having Googled one of the most recent Deadpool casualties, I was surprised to see that she was one of the 200 signatories of the pre-referendum  letter to The Guardian in support of the Union. I had not previously looked at the full list of signatories, but they are listed below. An eclectic bunch, to say the least.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2014/aug/07/celebrities-open-letter-scotland-independence-full-text

This really boiled my piss at the time. Took me years to read another Conn Iggulden book. 

On 20/10/2023 at 22:46, Thane of Cawdor said:

Having Googled one of the most recent Deadpool casualties, I was surprised to see that she was one of the 200 signatories of the pre-referendum  letter to The Guardian in support of the Union. I had not previously looked at the full list of signatories, but they are listed below. An eclectic bunch, to say the least.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2014/aug/07/celebrities-open-letter-scotland-independence-full-text

Storm Huntley's not on that list 🤔

In 2014 she was the STV weathergirl. I doubt there was much clamour from the Guardian for her pawprint.

On 20/10/2023 at 21:46, Thane of Cawdor said:

Whenever I'm entering a polling station now, I think to myself 'what would cilla black want?' and vote accordingly.

On 20/10/2023 at 22:08, scottsdad said:

This really boiled my piss at the time. Took me years to read another Conn Iggulden book. 

My mum's a huge fan - looking forward to lightly steaming her effluent by mentioning this at some point  :P

The whole "celebrities politely saying they'd like the UK to stay together" thing has never bothered me. It's cute that they think their opinion is important, and I suppose it's nice that they feel some kind of kinship with a country that, in some cases, they've likely never had anything to do with.

However, judging by the names on the list, it's pretty obvious that it was established by someone like Max Hastings calling a few agencies for permission to include their clients, rather than any great unionist feeling from the signatories that had to be expressed somehow. The idea that Cilla Black gave a flying f**k about anything other than Cilla Black seems pretty wild these days; presumably she got paid for her inclusion.

On 17/10/2023 at 11:54, scottsdad said:

Linda from Kent wants the rest of the UK to have a vote to expel Scotland from the Union. 

To be fair, if it is a Union of Equals, it should be totally ok for the rest of the UK to do that.  I for one would applaud such an approach. 

On 22/10/2023 at 12:42, Joey Jo Jo Junior Shabadoo said:

I only voted for Independence because Sting was on that list.

He was standing right behind me at the polling booth.  So close I had to say to him

Spoiler

Could you move back a little?

On 22/10/2023 at 14:46, Ziggy Sobotka said:

It was the endorsement of Kris Akabussi that swung it for the No side.

All it took was a pat on the fanny and a whispered "AWOOGA" for Scotland to succumb.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 20/10/2023 at 21:46, Thane of Cawdor said:

Sumcunt needs shot for not majoring on Will fucking Carling entering the debate in 2014. 

• 4 months later...

I’ll get the first post in for this calendar year. 

Sadly, I can’t see another Indy Ref any time soon. The SNP are awful and need punted and restructured but that’s 2 years away. Then it remains to be seen whether they’ll do a Labour or sort themselves out a bit quicker than that. They need to get back to the centre ground.

On 03/04/2024 at 23:33, Scary Bear said:

They need to get back to the centre ground.

That's where they are and its precisely their weakness. They're hamstrung by their conviction in not having any convictions for fear of upsetting their big tent coalition. The compromise with their own right wing elements leaves them only able to offer social liberalism.

The "adults in the room" and "sensible centrist" stuff only works after the Tories have pushed too far. In Scotland, with our slightly more left-leaning electorate, that realisation came sooner and the SNP enjoyed their greatest electoral returns following Cameron's austerity era. England and Wales took until Liz Truss to waken up so we'll only see it this coming election from them. Starmer is going to be the fortunate beneficiary to that but all indications are he'll do nothing with it. It'll be managed decline from him, improving little and that'll prompt unrest which a resurgent Tory party will take advantage of. The Tories are like a bacteria colony. With each wave of them that you dampen, the most virulent among them survive then multiply so the next wave of them is worse. That's what the UK has to look forward to post-Starmer.

Sturgeon didn't do enough with the power she was given. You need a radical zeal to keep the momentum up. You increase your public spending and you fully utilise your taxation right up until the point where you hit Westminster constraints then that's where the battle gets fought.  SNP instead are committed to self-constraint which leaves Yousaf making do with an insufficient social liberalism either because he's not allowed to or he doesn't want to push harder on the economics. 

To give an objective example in line with recent news, consider: https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-68304933. Access to heatlhcare is of far greater priority to trans people than hate crime legislation (which can also be welcome but the key word here is priority). Protected groups only need that protection in the first place because of a material disparity. They're vulnerable due to being cut out of employment, healthcare, housing, education, etc. from discrimination. Guaranteeing them access to their material needs allows them to improve their collective standing in society which goes a long way to removing their position as a vulnerable group. Without doing this, without tackling underlying causes, hate crime legislation is mere window dressing.

It's enacting policies that make material differences to folk's lives that wins votes.

Edited by Freedom Farter

Looking at no voters who now support independence, how many of them have been won over due to what the SNP (or the wider Yes movement) have done or said - as opposed to moving towards that position due to Brexit and the actions of the Conservative government in Westminster?

I think the SNP have been pretty passive since 2014 in trying to win over voters to supporting independence, they know that c. 45% of the vote will be enough for control in Holyrood and nearly all the Scottish seats in Westminster. There doesn't seem to be any real vision beyond being 'Tory Free', which is little more than a slogan.

Edited by houston_bud