Scotrail

ScottR96

On 30/07/2016 at 19:30, 19QOS19 said:

No. Staff are rostered for a set amount of Sundays throughout the year. I can't speak for the drivers but I have 9 set Sundays. Basically one a month. The jobs are covered to begin with* but holidays/sickness/lou days happen and if no one fancies OT then problems will naturally arise.

* At least that was my understanding :lol:

this is why the rotas f*cked....they think there is only 9 months in the year. ;)

should be in quick questions but f**k it.

Can I break my outward journey on an offpeak day return. More specifically can i get off at Partick for a drink then continue on to Dumbarton on Saturday off the one ticket and if not are there ticket barriers at Partick?

No ticket barriers at Partick train (there are at tube), sometimes a big squadron of ticket inspectors at the exit though. They move from station to station during day. This is just pot luck.

You can break journeys on some off peak tickets. There are some restrictions. I have never understood these restrictions!! I think you may be OK.

Edit: http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/times_fares/ticket_types/46590.aspx

9 hours ago, invergowrie arab said:

should be in quick questions but f**k it.

Can I break my outward journey on an offpeak day return. More specifically can i get off at Partick for a drink then continue on to Dumbarton on Saturday off the one ticket and if not are there ticket barriers at Partick?

Yes. Yes you can.

How are the fares worked out?

e.g. Greenock Central to Helensburgh Central (change at Glasgow Central), off peak return is £7.10.

Greenock Central to Glasgow Central £6.90 return, so only an extra 10p each way to Helensburgh.

Glasgow Central to Helensburgh Central £6.70 return.

That's weird even in the world of Scotrail fares.

When I first started I used to get chased up the train by raging folk saying "I asked for a single and you've charged me a return!!" When I tell them it's cheaper it's as if they think I'm at it. Needless to say if folk ask for a single I sell them the return and inform them I've given them the return as it's cheaper.

1 minute ago, 19QOS19 said:

When I first started I used to get chased up the train by raging folk saying "I asked for a single and you've charged me a return!!" When I tell them it's cheaper it's as if they think I'm at it. Needless to say if folk ask for a single I sell them the return and inform them I've given them the return as it's cheaper.

Singles are normally a rip off only being 10 or 20p cheaper than a return on the Fife circle. I've never know one to be £4 dearer than a return though!

45 minutes ago, cowdenbeath said:

Singles are normally a rip off only being 10 or 20p cheaper than a return on the Fife circle. I've never know one to be £4 dearer than a return though!

The Edinburgh - Glasgow (and vice versa) single is something like 10p cheaper than the return. Not as bad as a return being cheaper than a single but still a pretty bum deal.

The 'admin' fee they charge to change a ticket is pretty stonking as well. I stupidly booked tickets for the wrong weekend and was charged an admin fee of £10 per ticket to have them changed. Admittedly I made the error in the first place but I didn't realise I was going to have to pay something like double the cost of the ticket to have them changed.

Edited by RiG

7 minutes ago, RiG said:

The Edinburgh - Glasgow (and vice versa) single is something like 10p cheaper than the return. Not as bad as a return being cheaper than a single but still a pretty bum deal.

Aye, it boils my piss the way they do this. 

Although having said that, it has worked to my advantage. On at least 2 occasions, I've gone to the ticket machine to buy a ticket from Edinburgh to Glasgow late in the evening, and someone has very thoughtfully left their unwanted return ticket on the machine. Now, if I'm heading through on the train but not coming back, I'll always pay 10p extra for the return and leave it on the ticket machine. 

49 minutes ago, RiG said:

The 'admin' fee they charge to change a ticket is pretty stonking as well. I stupidly booked tickets for the wrong weekend and was charged an admin fee of £10 per ticket to have them changed. Admittedly I made the error in the first place but I didn't realise I was going to have to pay something like double the cost of the ticket to have them changed.

Would it not have been cheaper to just buy new tickets?

25 minutes ago, gav-ffc said:

Since when could you not buy off peak tickets on board a train?

When you get a jobsworth conductor!!

The only time I've ever been refused an off-peak ticket on the train was a PITA woman who toed the party line by refusing as there was a ticket office at the station. Completely ignoring the fact I had a buggy and would have had to cross a bridge with it to buy a ticket I've managed to buy on the train the other 999 times.

c***s will be c***s unfortunately. 

Edited by Tommy Nooka

Since when could you not buy off peak tickets on board a train?

For a good while. I was aware of this long before I joined. It only applies if you board at a station that has ticket facilities. It's obviously in place so TE/Conductors can get to folk who are unable to but before they board and those who haven't purchased (where able) are punished by being charged the full fare. There are information boards at the station stating this.

I understand why it's in place, especially on busy trains, but I've never known anyone to actually charge the full price on board.