Scotrail

ScottR96

For a good while. I was aware of this long before I joined. It only applies if you board at a station that has ticket facilities. It's obviously in place so TE/Conductors can get to folk who are unable to but before they board and those who haven't purchased (where able) are punished by being charged the full fare. There are information boards at the station stating this.

I understand why it's in place, especially on busy trains, but I've never known anyone to actually charge the full price on board.

They are a couple of jobsworths on the Ayr to Glasgow train that I see always charging folk the peak fair no matter the time. One a wee older woman with specs who closely examines your ticket for a lot longer than any other conductor to the stage it gets awkward as f**k for everyone concerned.

The Edinburgh - Glasgow (and vice versa) single is something like 10p cheaper than the return. Not as bad as a return being cheaper than a single but still a pretty bum deal.

My recent train trip to Nottingham (last minute work thankfully picking up the bill):

Single: £165.60

Return: £166.50

Madness.

Would it not have been cheaper to just buy new tickets?

I'd imagine it would be a situation where the very limited cheap deal advance ticket would be £5, admin fee £10 & the price of the only available new tickets being > £15 by the time the mistake had been noticed.

18 hours ago, Tommy Nooka said:

Would it not have been cheaper to just buy new tickets? 

Quite possibly. I think my originals were something like £8 each but when I went to change them the prices for the same journey a week earlier were £16 so I had to pay the admin fee of £10 per ticket plus the difference in prices which meant I was paying £18 per ticket to change instead of £16 for a new ticket straight out.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm starting a new job in Glasgow at the start of September.

Car is a no go, it's in the "IFSD" so parking would skin me a fortune and the drive there for 9am is torture.

Monthly train ticket from Greenfaulds is £100.70, or I can get the bus, two minutes walk from my door for £53 a month on a smartcard that automatically renews.

Looks like the bus might win.

Signalling problems yesterday meant my train was running 15 minutes late only to change to a a partial service 2 minutes before it arrived, it feels like a common occurrence these days and just to compound matters my train home last night was cancelled 5 minutes before it was due to arrive.

The erratic service is the only reason I don't buy a season ticket, the occasional free journey is a small consolation. ^_^

3 hours ago, NorthernLights said:

In Queen Street station for the first time since it reopened.  What a dump it is now.  It wasn't exactly brilliant before but still.  Are they going to leave it in this state until they finally do the massive overhaul?

This.

This.

This.

This.

This.

Oh dear god, This.

Went through it on Saturday on my way to sunny Greenock and spent 5mins staring at it saying "are they fucking leaving it like this?"

What a hole it is now

Aye, it boils my piss the way they do this. 

Although having said that, it has worked to my advantage. On at least 2 occasions, I've gone to the ticket machine to buy a ticket from Edinburgh to Glasgow late in the evening, and someone has very thoughtfully left their unwanted return ticket on the machine. Now, if I'm heading through on the train but not coming back, I'll always pay 10p extra for the return and leave it on the ticket machine. 

Do you leave it on the ticket machine that you purchase the ticket at, or at the destination station?

Sent from a dark, dank hellhole.

16 minutes ago, DI Bruce Robertson said:

Do you leave it on the ticket machine that you purchase the ticket at, or at the destination station?

He buys a return ticket from A to B, and therefore back from B to A.  He travels from A to B, but because he isn't going back to A, leaves the B to A ticket at station B.

I think.

He buys a return ticket from A to B, and therefore back from B to A.  He travels from A to B, but because he isn't going back to A, leaves the B to A ticket at station B.

I think.

That was my thinking, but who can be arsed to look for a ticket machine to leave the rtn ticket on upon arrival? I'm normally so pissed off at the inevitable line at the ticket barriers, I just want to get out of the station & on my way as quickly as possible.

ETA- I'm a good guy too, if I've got a parking ticket and am moving my car, I'll normally pop it on another windscreen. Let they basturds pay the £60 fine.

There's a load of ticket machines at both Glasgow and Edinburgh so it takes 2 seconds to leave the ticket on the screen for someone to pick up if they need it

Ok fair enough.

You're one of the good guys.

As an aside, the times you have benefitted from this scheme, have you ever left the cash for the price of the ticket on the ticket machine?
That's what I would do.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...