The Partick Thistle thread

18 hours ago, third lanark said:

Sometimes I can’t make up my find about McInroy- a passenger in some games but brilliant in 

For us a match winner on a couple of occasions (in general played well ) but have noticed he has been up and down for you guys perhaps it’s those around needing/getting more of the ball. 

On 16/04/2024 at 23:30, BigMadMental said:

Would be more keen to see who becomes available around the championship, be this current loans at other clubs or players allowed to move on.

on the subject of a an outside chance replacement for McMillan - Miles Welch-Hayes would be my top pick, currently on loan at Dunfermline from Livvy (dreadlocks boy). 

I would take Chris Kane absolutely. 

you have to assume the club have made an offer to McInroy but I would keep both him and Ngwenya. 

We should be looking to League 1 & 2 for players who would comfortably make the step up to the championship and fit into our style of play. 

Purely due to the loan spells with us they had previously being curtailed (injury/Covid season) and as a hunch/laziness of name recognition, Declan Glass is one of those players i reckon we'll sniff round, think hasnt played all that much for Utd this season and was shipped on loan to Cove recently too. Out of contract according to the Courier, still only 23.

Not sure where he plays but filling in for Fitzpatrick/Lawless (especially while he recovers) feels like it makes sense.

Declan McDaid too if we're crying out for wingers that Doolan is familiar with to avoid another Wes MacDonald coming in and leaving promptly, albeit hes in Ireland going by a wee look online.

Edited by Thistle_do_nicely

McInroy should absolutely be a thistle player next season.

Considering the market we are going to be in this summer, if there’s any chance he comes to us, we should be making an offer.

Ngwenya too would be absolutely fine as a squad player and he does have potential. 

Our biggest problem is not having the finance or resources to develop players further. 

18 minutes ago, BigMadMental said:

McInroy should absolutely be a thistle player next season.

Considering the market we are going to be in this summer, if there’s any chance he comes to us, we should be making an offer.

Ngwenya too would be absolutely fine as a squad player and he does have potential. 

Our biggest problem is not having the finance or resources to develop players further. 

Is this regarding players in the youth teams stepping up or establishing those who break into the first team or something else entirely?

2 minutes ago, Claudia Gentile said:

Is this regarding players in the youth teams stepping up or establishing those who break into the first team or something else entirely?

You could argue both.

out coaching setup has been pretty basic for quite some time.

this season particularly looks like a pretty bare-bones operation.

If you look at Ngwenya as an example - if he signed for us next year, he would likely just “get by” as a thistle player. At the minute he is a squad player who can come on and do a job. I don’t think we would have the resource to improve his game to the point that he becomes a first team regular and an important player in the team.

Doolans recruitment this season has been more driven towards players who need minutes who are at other clubs.

McCalls recruitment was different in that he mostly signed players who were ready to come in and do the job. 

I wouldn’t say Tiff, Holt, Doc, McMillan, Milne etc became BETTER players within the thistle setup, they were already good, hence why they were brought in, and fitted into the way we wanted to play.

Whereas with this seasons cohort it has been more about finding bodies and trying to train them into fitting into the way doolan wants to play. 

25 minutes ago, BigMadMental said:

You could argue both.

out coaching setup has been pretty basic for quite some time.

this season particularly looks like a pretty bare-bones operation.

If you look at Ngwenya as an example - if he signed for us next year, he would likely just “get by” as a thistle player. At the minute he is a squad player who can come on and do a job. I don’t think we would have the resource to improve his game to the point that he becomes a first team regular and an important player in the team.

Doolans recruitment this season has been more driven towards players who need minutes who are at other clubs.

McCalls recruitment was different in that he mostly signed players who were ready to come in and do the job. 

I wouldn’t say Tiff, Holt, Doc, McMillan, Milne etc became BETTER players within the thistle setup, they were already good, hence why they were brought in, and fitted into the way we wanted to play.

Whereas with this seasons cohort it has been more about finding bodies and trying to train them into fitting into the way doolan wants to play. 

I think there is a lot of truth in what you say. 

I have noticed we have a very small backroom staff. Dools and Paul McDonald, and a training/ fitness coach and Kenny Arthur who deals with the GKs. 

I would say that some of the new players have improved since they came in, the likes of Wasirirl Williams before he got injured.

On the existing players the likes of McMilan and Milne haven't improved noticeably, but they have also had injury issues either from this or last season.

On the positive front there is now a gateway from the youth team to the first team and Diack has done pretty well when called upon for example.

1 hour ago, Thistle_do_nicely said:

Declan McDaid too if we're crying out for wingers that Doolan is familiar with to avoid another Wes MacDonald coming in and leaving promptly, albeit hes in Ireland going by a wee look online.

I think McDaid would be doing well to get a gig at any championship club these days let alone one that should be building a squad to challenge at the top. He was pretty atrocious  by all accounts with Falkirk in League 1, and barring a short run of decent form (ironically when he had been scheduled to join us on loan during the covid season) he was fairly uninspiring at Dundee. That said he might be doing well in LOI. 

I think Stephen O’Donnell will either stay as a squad player at Motherwell or another bottom-half Premiership club might take a punt on him so unlikely to return but would take him as a McMillan replacement. Would be pleased to sign McInroy permanently but not that bothered if we don’t. Wonder if Kevin Holt will get a contract extension at United presuming they get promoted? If not could have a few championship offers. 

Edited by JagsCG

I don’t think it’s fair to say that Tiff didn’t become a better player in the Thistle set up. I think he definitely did. I think he became better at knowing how to use his obvious abilities, and he also became better at actually impacting the games - that’s shown just in his goal record season to season. 

1 hour ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

I don’t think it’s fair to say that Tiff didn’t become a better player in the Thistle set up. I think he definitely did. I think he became better at knowing how to use his obvious abilities, and he also became better at actually impacting the games - that’s shown just in his goal record season to season. 

I don’t think it was a direct result of his training and coaching day to day.

the manager has since admitted he didn’t even take training. 

it seems like we have a very basic setup where we run players through paces and don’t really work much more with them beyond that. By all means if they want to personally develop further then that’s up to them but I don’t see thistle doing much other than the bare minimum.

On 16/04/2024 at 23:30, BigMadMental said:

We should be looking to League 1 & 2 for players who would comfortably make the step up to the championship and fit into our style of play. 

I'm not for a minute suggesting we shouldn't do this but look at the recent examples where we've done this. Lyons, Dowds, MacIver, Charlie Reilly. We've not had a huge amount of success. Milne and Turner are obvious exceptions. I think it's just too simplistic to say that is what we should be doing, we should be looking all over for the best available player not only trying to discover players who might make it. 

2 hours ago, BigMadMental said:

the manager has since admitted he didn’t even take training. 

it seems like we have a very basic setup where we run players through paces and don’t really work much more with them beyond that. By all means if they want to personally develop further then that’s up to them but I don’t see thistle doing much other than the bare minimum.

I'm not sure if that is fair. I've seen us train a few times and there is a variety of aspects to it. 

Good to see Robinson, O'Reilly and possibly Banzo back in the swing of things. Also plenty of young players in there. 

I have seen Dools and Paul McDonald also doing extra stints with the younger lads when the first team have finished their session.

Edited by Claudia Gentile

2 hours ago, Claudia Gentile said:

I'm not sure if that is fair. I've seen us train a few times and there is a variety of aspects to it. 

Good to see Robinson, O'Reilly and possibly Banzo back in the swing of things. Also plenty of young players in there. 

I have seen Dools and Paul McDonald also doing extra stints with the younger lads when the first team have finished their session.

We have a bare bones coaching staff, we don't appear have a sports science staff either really and we were trying to recruit a physio for months, still dunno if we managed to do it or not. I understand Doolan and Paul McDonald are doing all the work but that seems to be all we have, I'm happy to stand corrected but the only other coaches we see are ones that were possibly drafted in from Thistle Weir to help with training? And of course Kenny Arthur, who's ability to coach and develop a keeper has recently come under scrutiny due to Sneddon regressing.

There will be variety in the training, absolutely, but if you can't afford an array of coaching staff who work with the players on different aspects through the week  (and most importantly have the relevant experience) then you are only going to be able to get so much out of the players. It's an unfortunate by-product of the situation we find ourselves in financially.

Doolan & McDonald I'm sure are trying their best but for a team with ambition of getting out this league or being seen as a top Championship side, don't think we are doing enough off the pitch. We have some really good players and prospects but I don't think we look after them well enough and the may, or may not, be contributing to some of the niggles and lengthy layoffs. 

9 hours ago, BigMadMental said:

We have a bare bones coaching staff, we don't appear have a sports science staff either really and we were trying to recruit a physio for months, still dunno if we managed to do it or not. I understand Doolan and Paul McDonald are doing all the work but that seems to be all we have, I'm happy to stand corrected but the only other coaches we see are ones that were possibly drafted in from Thistle Weir to help with training? And of course Kenny Arthur, who's ability to coach and develop a keeper has recently come under scrutiny due to Sneddon regressing.

There will be variety in the training, absolutely, but if you can't afford an array of coaching staff who work with the players on different aspects through the week  (and most importantly have the relevant experience) then you are only going to be able to get so much out of the players. It's an unfortunate by-product of the situation we find ourselves in financially.

Doolan & McDonald I'm sure are trying their best but for a team with ambition of getting out this league or being seen as a top Championship side, don't think we are doing enough off the pitch. We have some really good players and prospects but I don't think we look after them well enough and the may, or may not, be contributing to some of the niggles and lengthy layoffs. 

Agree with that we appear low on back room stuff, especially after the two assistant manager trope when McCall was in charge.

This may impact on certain levels but then we have the likes of Luke McBeth coming in and looking a very decent player who could go far.

No idea about the permanent physio but we are getting players back relatively quickly. Some players are prone to knocks such as Robinson and you just need to get them back at the right time. We have been unlucky with O'Reilly but I don't think that can be placed on the set-up. 

A lot comes down to the player themselves both on talent and their physiology. 

I feel we have missed players at times but does not seem as bad as recent seasons, certainly up to losing Lawless. Again an injury that can happen anytime or anywhere. Bernard Langer and Aaron Rogers being recent examples from the wider sporting world.

It's not great maybe but it is the pot we are missing into at the moment due to finances.

Hopefully we can bring on the current corps of young players as transfer fees are key to us improving finances as well as giving us good players while they remain at Firhill.

16 hours ago, BigMadMental said:

There’s simply no way to know this one way or the other.

I’d also say that I really doubt that our set up is in any way “more basic” than most other clubs at our level. A Quick Look suggests that Morton and Raith have exactly the same coaching staff while others I looked at have one extra at most. Airdrie only have one coach who isn’t also a player.

And there’s a physio listed on our website, so I’d guess we do have one. 

14 minutes ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

There’s simply no way to know this one way or the other.

I’d also say that I really doubt that our set up is in any way “more basic” than most other clubs at our level. A Quick Look suggests that Morton and Raith have exactly the same coaching staff while others I looked at have one extra at most. Airdrie only have one coach who isn’t also a player.

And there’s a physio listed on our website, so I’d guess we do have one. 

Rovers have significantly more back room staff than us working both remotely and directly with the squad and managers. They’ve invested heavily in that area because it’s equally as important as the playing budget but thistle have never seemed to think so. 

7 minutes ago, BigMadMental said:

Rovers have significantly more back room staff than us working both remotely and directly with the squad and managers. They’ve invested heavily in that area because it’s equally as important as the playing budget but thistle have never seemed to think so. 

Rovers also have all that “conservatory money” to spend, whereas we don’t. 

3 minutes ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

Rovers also have all that “conservatory money” to spend, whereas we don’t. 

Yeah but that’s exactly my point. We don’t gave the resources to put things in place. But with the way modern football is, not having these things creates a ceiling.

fitness has been an issue for the team all season. We have been seeing it before our eyes. This absolutely has to be linked to the training side of it or whatever we are doing to look after the players outwith game days. You would have to presume we are running a bare bones operation. 

As pointed out, players are probably being relied upon to do things in their own time and you would have to assume that most are not. Graham looks to be fitter than he was before so he is obviously putting in the work himself. Milne perhaps another example.