The Partick Thistle thread

19 minutes ago, Broken Algorithms said:

I know for certain he's on more money at Partick compared to ourselves. The longer term deal will have influenced things, but he got offered more money by Partick than the did by ourselves in January. I'm not going to claim we're a charity case or that our budget won't have improved compared to last season, but we're nowhere near a situation where players won't weigh up their options.

O'Reilly found himself in a position where he signed for us on a short term deal and his value grew due to circumstance. He was well within his rights to push up the money he was on. He was out the game for a wee period of time and that will have had an impact. 

Ashcroft had offers from other clubs both at our level and from the top flight. He was going to sign for Dunfermline but changed his mind at the last moment. 

I’d be very surprised if we could outbid you for any player this season, I have to take that with a pinch of salt 

We have been truly skint this season due to the behaviour of previous board.  We would have been looking at likes of Hamilton, Byrne, Turner, Ashcroft, smith , Murray etc but our finances were terrible and won’t be able to match yours or I doubt Queens Park and Dunfermline.  Goes without saying that no one in the division can get anywhere near what Dundee United are paying their players but

On the development issue and players being better when they leave us than when they sign, I think it's more relevant to the guys who have come through the youth academy: Stanway, MacKenzie and maybe Lyon, although I can see Lyon being mutually consented in the summer or loaned out for the full last year of his contract. McBeth is probably a special case despite him being 24 years old given he was in the 6th tier before Christmas and is another one we need to make sure develops.

If we're serious about integrating the youth team players into the first team squad then they're the guys who have to improve; from the outside it's been a waste of a year for MacKenzie, a few games out of position at the start of the season and he might now get a run in another position which isn't his own with Lawless being injured. He's not really any further forward in establishing himself than he was this time last season.

Stanway I've thought for lots of this season hasn't quite seemed up to this level yet but I also think the potential is there- by all accounts he had a great game on Saturday so hopefully he's getting there.

I suppose it can take some time - going back to McBeth, it took Doolan and Erskine probably 2 seasons to make the jump from juniors to being good Championship players, then another year to be standouts at Championship level and then onto being comfortable the Premiership.

Edited by Fuctifano

1 minute ago, Fuctifano said:

Stanway I've thought for lots of this season hasn't quite seemed up to this level yet but I also think the potential is there- by all accounts he had a great game on Saturday so hopefully he's getting there.

I think he really needs to work on his consistency, but that’s to be expected of a young player. When he’s been good, he’s looked comfortably good enough for this level - as he did on Saturday - but he simply hasn’t been good often enough. But at the same time, I think everyone, including him, is surprised at how often he’s played this season for a 19 year old.

I would really like MacKenzie to head out on loan at the start of next season and get a solid chunk of playing time in his actual position - which I assume is supposed to be as an attacking midfielder. 

24 minutes ago, Claudia Gentile said:

I Dont Believe You Will Ferrell GIF

Seriously, the amounts wouldn't be much different. Raith and others  offered Aero Muirhead more money than he is on at Firhill. However for all the difference in money other aspects came into play.

I do believe that about Muirhead. Before the start of the season we only had Keith Watson signed as a centre back. We wouldn't have had anything in place for Euan Murray so I don't doubt we'll have tried to poach him. 

2 hours ago, BigMadMental said:

How is it a prolonged rant? Because I am replying to other people who have an opinion on it? 

Achillies injuries are commonly caused by overuse. The club were recruiting a lead physio and a sports scientist for months on end to no avail. 

I didn’t compliment Graham for playing at a high level. I pointed out that it’s obvious he is putting in extra graft in his own time and perhaps on his own dime while others may not be. Because the club can only offer so much in terms of educating players on how to look after their bodies? Isn’t that a fair point?

I’m not suggesting anything really. But the original point was around our skeleton back room staff and the impact that it has on the players.

Some people have the archaic view that this doesn’t matter and I don’t have that opinion, it’s as simple as that. 

Whether we have good players or not - we are skint and it shows. 

the actual original discussion was surrounding the fact that because of our lack of funds, and our lack of resources, we struggle to develop players a wee bit due to that. My simple point was that if we had more money available we might be able to invest a bit more in the back room side. 

Hiring a sports scientist will not prevent Achilles tendon ruptures.

14 minutes ago, Broken Algorithms said:

I do believe that about Muirhead. Before the start of the season we only had Keith Watson signed as a centre back. We wouldn't have had anything in place for Euan Murray so I don't doubt we'll have tried to poach him. 

His Dad told me so probably as good a source as you would get haha.

28 minutes ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

I think he really needs to work on his consistency, but that’s to be expected of a young player. When he’s been good, he’s looked comfortably good enough for this level - as he did on Saturday - but he simply hasn’t been good often enough. But at the same time, I think everyone, including him, is surprised at how often he’s played this season for a 19 year old.

I would really like MacKenzie to head out on loan at the start of next season and get a solid chunk of playing time in his actual position - which I assume is supposed to be as an attacking midfielder. 

It is weird how our form dipped when McBeth came in. It wasn't like Luke was bad or anything near that we just seemed to pick up more points before our quarter 3 slump.

Then we have picked up since Neilson and him have swapped positions. 

It's a funny old game.

9 minutes ago, milhouse said:

Hiring a sports scientist will not prevent Achilles tendon ruptures.

I didn’t say it would , but it would go a long way in helping players in general with injury prevention and recovery and for a club who have (their words) strives to “act like a top flight club at all times” then they need to consider having this stuff properly in place.

13 minutes ago, BigMadMental said:

I didn’t say it would , but it would go a long way in helping players in general with injury prevention and recovery and for a club who have (their words) strives to “act like a top flight club at all times” then they need to consider having this stuff properly in place.

Lawless has played in every game since Doolan came in. 

I am not a sports scientist but I doubt his unfortunate injury is anything to do with the training and staff in place at the club. 

My reasoning being I cannot ever recall a Thistle player having an achilles injury in living memory, including Stevie who must have played 150-200 games for us.

41 minutes ago, Claudia Gentile said:

Lawless has played in every game since Doolan came in. 

I am not a sports scientist but I doubt his unfortunate injury is anything to do with the training and staff in place at the club. 

My reasoning being I cannot ever recall a Thistle player having an achilles injury in living memory, including Stevie who must have played 150-200 games for us.

I think it was a snapped Achiles which did for Dumbaya as a Thistle player, after a very promising first season. This did happen close season during an informal kick around with mates mind.

4 minutes ago, Duke Gekantawa said:

I think it was a snapped Achiles which did for Dumbaya as a Thistle player, after a very promising first season. This did happen close season during an informal kick around with mates mind.

Oh yeah, I forgot about him. As you say not even during the season. 

8 minutes ago, Duke Gekantawa said:

Dumbaya had a promising first 3 or 4 months but the rest of that first season was disrupted largely by injury as sadly were his second and third years.  after Christmas in his first season to the end of that first season he misssed a number of games.  I can’t remember if some had also mentioned a while back that he had had disruptions due to injury at other clubs prior to joining us