The Partick Thistle thread

6 hours ago, Armand 2 said:

Our recruitment has been as pedestrian as ever and we're starting the season with an incomplete squad for the umpteenth time under Archie. We've yet to address a gaping hole in the middle of park that has been present for a year now and for the second consecutive season, appear to be relying on a seemingly irreparable Bannigan as a squad member.

Archie was quoted as saying he hoped to get "good quality loans in" and we've so far ended up with a guy in Shea Gordon who was a million miles away from a team who we've closely competed with for the last 5 years, and Max Melbourne who is a rather unknown quantity but plays in a position that is already filled. On the other hand, we still only have one recognised striker in the squad and one right back who we've known will be suspended for the first game for months. And did I mention about the midfield?

Don't worry though because "Ben Dover will be here for the Next Big Moment".  Think I know the name of every fucking season ticket holder in the stadium after this summer.

The fact we had our biggest budget we’ve had since f**k knows when last season and actually should have been able to plan ahead more than at least four of the teams below us in the bottom 6 is a joke.

Apparantley we now have a budget to compete for promotion and are at least 3 weeks behind any of our apparent promotion challengers which either points to one of 2 things. 

1. Archie is making the exact same mistakes he made last season.

2. The board are talking pish about how much they are backing him.

Edited by Thistle4eva

43 minutes ago, Adrian Madaschi said:

If we don't make a signing by this time tomorrow I'm pretty sure that confirms that Alan Archibald shags his grans cat.

I'm sure Partick are well equipped for the season ahead. There is a few positions that could do with a wee bit of back up but more or less OK for the season. Another Striker maybe. 

As for sexual relations with his poor granny's kitty, I don't know what to say. :-/ 

<48hrs to the start of the season and this is our squad :

image.png.7a93b2ae1958fc1a4f0e4da77dec0ac7.png

Fine, cool. Would have liked Cerny but hey ho, 3 keepers for the 2nd tier is enough depth. Remains to be seen whether they've the quality but Bell should in theory be the best of the bunch.

image.png.59d8c641041b172d8cbb8112b896a580.png

3 centre backs (one still on the transfer list afaik?), 2 left backs, 1 right back. Not enough there. Bare minimum of 1 more right back needed unless we're dipping into the reserves... Liking Max Melbourne's war face though, looks like he means business.

image.png.f0ee509f628abff445dc03a038844060.png

5.5 midfielders. Not enough quality or depth there yet. edit: maybe Penrice can go here if he goes the Paul Paton route of fullback to midfield, but then that leaves us short technically at left back too?

image.png.3fe7370065ead19904563b83e74102c9.png

Doolan probably the most reliable scorer there but always seems like the type of player who'd get about 10 - 15 goals a season whether we were in the seaside leagues or whether we were in the top flight. Glad Storey revised terms, and literally haven't seen Storer in action yet. Probably wouldn't make this a priority position tbh and would be enough to last us til at least January where we can reassess it if we're strugglin' to put chances away/one of them picks up a medium-long term injury.

Spoiler

image.png.de20294117b9bfc303a01f2eb98b2b75.png

Edited by Thistle_do_nicely

Kudos for the graphics skills mate. 

Unless we are relying on yoofs we're really at least four or five players short of the depth we need, given I fully expect a quarter of these players to be injured going by our track record. 

Seems to be getting to make or break territory for Archibald, if we start off poor I wouldn't be surprised if he's a goner after the first 10 games. He's had more than enough time last season. 

Storer isn't a striker, not even close.  Couple of times I've seen him, he even tends to be our deepest lying midfielder at times.  Think it's clear that Storey won't be deployed up front by Archie if it can be avoided.  Doolan will probably only play around 60% of games due to the time he needs to spend away from the ground healing the sick, walking on water and doing general messiah type shit.  

Storer isn't a striker, not even close.  Couple of times I've seen him, he even tends to be our deepest lying midfielder at times.  Think it's clear that Storey won't be deployed up front by Archie if it can be avoided.  Doolan will probably only play around 60% of games due to the time he needs to spend away from the ground healing the sick, walking on water and doing general messiah type shit.  

Why will Archie not deploy Storey up front? He scored 11 goals in the Prem up front for ICT a few seasons ago which got him a move to Aberdeen. With his pace surely he’s a good option as an in behind striker. Or is Archie too stuck on his sideways passing and up the sides way of playing to vary things and play more direct with Storey up front?

5 minutes ago, Pie Of The Month said:

That interview just fills you with dread. It's the same script as last season. Archie says he has learned from last week. Recent history says he hasn't learnt anything.

2 hours ago, Alro11 said:

Why will Archie not deploy Storey up front? He scored 11 goals in the Prem up front for ICT a few seasons ago which got him a move to Aberdeen. With his pace surely he’s a good option as an in behind striker. Or is Archie too stuck on his sideways passing and up the sides way of playing to vary things and play more direct with Storey up front?

I really don't know what his reasoning is.   I do think he's a bit lost up there as a lone striker, but the way we play any striker would be isolated.  

Gerry Britton's interview on the official site has us wanting to sign another 4 players to bring the squad up to 22 players.

There's 18 players in the first team squad on the previous page but that includes Keown and Bannigan so f**k knows what's going to happen with them.