Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

My take on the 4 games for Lasley thing is that it kind of contradicts the statement the club put out after Robinson's resignation:

Despite the current restrictions, the board will now run a thorough process to identify the right person to take the manager’s post.

This will move at pace, mindful of the busy fixture list and the January transfer window’s impending opening.

Link

The Aberdeen game is the 23rd January.  It'd hardly be moving "at pace" or "mindful" of the January transfer window's impending opening if we're hanging about to see how Lasley gets on before making a decision.

At the same time, Lasley was in for the job when Robinson got it and AFAIK has expressed interest this time round so I don't doubt there's something in the story in so much as he's been told he's got the opportunity to show he's the best candidate (or words to that effect).

The line from the original Sun story (quoting so you don't have to click) that does ring true is:

But Lasley and first-team coach Maurice Ross will be given the first opportunity to impress.

That seems fine - it's generally accepted that under normal circumstances he was likely to be a preferred candidate if Robinson moved on so he gets a chance to take the team and show if he's actually a good manager. Bearing in mind he was Craigan's assistant with the u20s and has since been Robinson's assistant, the only time actually managing a side was when Robinson was suspended.

He was dealt a shite hand, no doubt, Robinson resigns seemingly unexpectedly and the first game he's got has Carson injured, Lang's been recalled to Wigan and O'Hara was suspended.

Either way most caretakers see some sort of reaction - Robinson's first interim game was a 2-1 win at Killie, Craigan's first interim game was a 2-1 win against Thistle and Black's interim won 1-0 against United after McCall resigned - a 3-0 clownshoes performance against Accies doesn't exactly stack up well in comparison.

Edited by capt_oats

6 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

My take on the 4 games for Lasley thing is that it kind of contradicts the statement the club put out after Robinson's resignation:

The Aberdeen game is the 23rd January.  It'd hardly be "mindful" of the January transfer window's impending opening if we're hanging about to see how Lasley gets on before making a decision.

At the same time, Lasley was in for the job when Robinson got it and AFAIK has expressed interest this time round so I don't doubt there's something in the story in so much as he's been told he's got the opportunity to show he's the best candidate (or words to that effect).

The line from the original Sun story (quoting so you don't have to click) that does ring true is:

That seems fine - he gets a chance to take the team and show if he's actually a good manager bearing in mind he was Craigan's assistant with the u20s and has since been Robinson's assistant, so his only time actually managing a side was when Robinson was suspended.

He was dealt a shite hand, no doubt, Robinson resigns seemingly unexpectedly and the first game he's got has Carson injured and O'Hara suspended. Either way most caretakers see some sort of reaction - Robinson's first interim game was a 2-1 win at Killie, Craigan's first interim game was a 2-1 win against Thistle and Black's interim won 1-0 against United after McCall resigned - a 3-0 clownshoes performance against Accies doesn't exactly stack up well in comparison.

I suspect the clusterfuck that was Saturday probably accelerates the whole thing again. In an ideal world Las takes charge, wins the derby and everything is rosy. Clearly that did not happen. 

Being back at work today I done my usual Monday morning routine of having my breakfast and watching Sportscene. I cannot believe how fucking terrible we were. I've been sat in my spare room working for the past year & haven't even played a game of 7s and I swear to god I'd have saved at least one of those. 

46 minutes ago, well fan for life said:

haven't even played a game of 7s and I swear to god I'd have saved at least one of those. 

I honestly think about 80% of us posting here would have save the first two.

If Robinson had still being doing well with us and was enticed by a more attractive job and that was the reason for his departure, I would have been fine with Lasley getting the job to smooth things over, at least in the short term and keep the continuity up. However, with the reality of Robinson leaving after nine games without a win and a squad full of average at best players, I don't think it'll work for a few reasons:

• He's never been a manager before
  • No reserve football means that his in club knowledge is far less likely to help us unearth a teenage gem or two to help get us out of this mess
  • The fact he's spent most of his career at Motherwell makes me think he will lack both the contacts and knowledge of the players and leagues we may need to use for the transfer market
  • If there were players (Long and Polworth for starters) who weren't firing for Robinson, I find it more unlikely that they'll suddenly step up to the plate for his number 2
  • His opinion on players will at least partially be influenced by Robinson's and therefore not have a fresh enough approach
  • I know it's slim pickings to an extent, but his starting XI plus the subs of White for Cole and Maguire for Hastie makes me think he'll hardly do anything radical
  • He seems too nice a guy to be the b*****d that is required just now

I love Lasley and would have liked him to get an opportunity to manage us under different circumstances, but this one is just too big a job to give to a novice for me, especially one which is emotionally weighted.

Edited by crazylegsjoe_mfc

15 minutes ago, Busta Nut said:

I don't care who they appoint just now. We've been easy to play against for a year. That needs changing.

That's been the mental bit. It's hardly taken anything groundbreaking to beat us. Just don't do anything stupid and wait on one of our fucking pish centre backs giving a golden opportunity away. 

The quote about Wright respecting Lasley's position is quite interesting. He always struck me as someone with principles and generally respects fellow professionals (typically managers). It would make me wonder if he doesn't want to be second choice in essence, he's been sounded out in the possibility that Lasely totally bombs and doesn't get the job, which is his to lose by what your board are saying. Also the 4 games Lasely is in charge gives him time to speak to Robinson and get the exact low down on what has been happening, which might be an issue!

The 4 games thing for Lasley is nonsense. As @capt_oats says, that would take us to after the Aberdeen game on the 23rd. Which only leaves a week of the transfer window for any potential new manager to get players in. Unsurprisingly, the Sun are talking out of their arse.

Sounding out Tommy Wright is absolutely the correct thing to do, considering our current position and his record at our level. If he's interested, he should be offered the job.

I'd be amazed if something wasn't announced before the game on Saturday. Lasley might get that game in charge, but it'll be his last.

4 minutes ago, Widge said:

The quote about Wright respecting Lasley's position is quite interesting. He always struck me as someone with principles and generally respects fellow professionals (typically managers). It would make me wonder if he doesn't want to be second choice in essence, he's been sounded out in the possibility that Lasely totally bombs and doesn't get the job, which is his to lose by what your board are saying. Also the 4 games Lasely is in charge gives him time to speak to Robinson and get the exact low down on what has been happening, which might be an issue!

It all depends on how much faith you have in The Sun's reporting.

There's no quote from Wright about respecting Lasley's position, it's just something that's been attributed to him and ultimately this is all the club have said officially:

Despite the current restrictions, the board will now run a thorough process to identify the right person to take the manager’s post.

This will move at pace, mindful of the busy fixture list and the January transfer window’s impending opening.

Link

Sounding out Wright would presumably be part of the "thorough process to identify the right person to take the manager's post".

From the sound of things we weren't expecting Robinson to walk (given the stories about us having players lined up and also the whole "reluctant" acceptance of his resignation). I'd guess we're in a position where we're now assessing/exploring our options.

5 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

Why did no one tell Derek Mcinnes?

To be fair he seems to forget every time you do win. In my head he seems to try something daft so we scud you 3-0. Then next time he remembers so you scud us. He then thinks "we've beat them afore" and does what ever he wants and gets beat again.

Repeat for now. 

It's easy in to say in hindsight but I wish we'd kept Gillespie instead of Carson.

I do think peak Carson was better but he's been injured pretty often and Gillespie was a very good goalkeeper. 

Lasley surely can’t get 4 games, especially after Saturdays humiliation. It would also mean that our new managers first game would be Ross County (A) which could potentially see us cut adrift if not prepared for correctly.

Appoint somebody this week and make sure they have an opportunity to sound out our best team during the games vs Rangers (H) and Aberdeen (A).

Give him the financial backing needed and time to prepare for the 6 pointer vs Ross County (A).

I can understand when teams promote the assistant if the manager leaves for bigger and better things as it provides continuity. You shouldn't be promoting the assistant when he's been part of the set-up that fails and the manager leaves because the team is pish. On that basis, I can't see Lasley getting any more than the St. Mirren game.

31 minutes ago, Archie McSquackle said:

I can understand when teams promote the assistant if the manager leaves for bigger and better things as it provides continuity. You shouldn't be promoting the assistant when he's been part of the set-up that fails and the manager leaves because the team is pish. On that basis, I can't see Lasley getting any more than the St. Mirren game.

See, even Robinson's comment in the statement went out talks about needing someone "new" to take the club forward.

“I now feel it is the time for someone new to take the club forward as I feel I have taken it as far as I can."

Link

Clearly that could (and probably is) simply be a case of "not Robinson" but it's hard to make an argument for handing over to his assistant in these circumstances.

I don't see us clearing out our backroom staff wholesale so I'd have thought that like McGhee keeping Robinson on as assistant we'd be asking whoever gets the job to work alongside him (unless of course Lasley doesn't fancy that if he's missed out on the actual manager's job twice).

Edited by capt_oats