Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

I would think he fits better the profile of who we'd want in charge next season, but not necessarily who we'd want to keep us up now. If (and it is just an if) one of the issues with Hammell was lack of respect from the senior players then I'm not sure bringing someone even younger than him in fixes that.

1 hour ago, Ron Aldo said:

Surely not? 

I don’t see it. Struggled in our very position exactly a year ago. I know it was McGhee that took them down with, IIRC, one win during his tenure but I don’t believe McPake would have kept them up if he had stayed in post either.

Just now, Quatermass said:

I don’t see it. Struggled in our very position exactly a year ago. I know it was McGhee that took them down with, IIRC, one win during his tenure but I don’t believe McPake would have kept them up if he had stayed in post either.

And it needs to be considered that although the Pars are doing really well - having the biggest club in the division punching their weight is a very different challenge to what he's get at Fir Park.

8 minutes ago, Quatermass said:

Obviously our friends from Dundee will have more insight but I don't think they were bottom when they binned him and had just won at Tynecastle. Getting 11th was certainly still within reach and their performance, though obviously not rock and roll, hardly seems disgraceful for a side (surprisingly?) promoted via the playoffs.

8 minutes ago, Handsome_Devil said:

Obviously our friends from Dundee will have more insight but I don't think they were bottom when they binned him and had just won at Tynecastle. Getting 11th was certainly still within reach and their performance, though obviously not rock and roll, hardly seems disgraceful for a side (surprisingly?) promoted via the playoffs.

He was utterly dreadful and Charlie Adam dragged us kicking and screaming to the top flight.

Our points with Adam in the team vs without in the top flight is also indicative.

I think McPake would have done better than McGhee, I don't doubt that but that's hardly glowing praise.

43 minutes ago, Swello said:

And it needs to be considered that although the Pars are doing really well - having the biggest club in the division punching their weight is a very different challenge to what he's get at Fir Park.

Careful now. You'll have the Falkirk fans all over this thread with statements like that. 

Ideally we need someone in before Saturday, time is obviously of the essence. 

What this means is it is more likely to be a 'til the end of the season' job. Questionable whether we can get someone desirable longer term in this time period.

James McPake is utter fear and I'm going to write that off as total paper talk. Kettlewell and Courts also a big no for me.

My criteria for the manger would be 1) Track record in the SPFL, preferably with a club of similar stature 2) Experience of implementing an organised defensive structure successfully 3) A motivator who can lift morale but also will not suffer fools

Whether there is many folk with that criteria available on a free is questionable. IMO point 1 is really important, I do worry about bringing in an outsider in this situation who doesn't understand the Scottish game. I'd be more open to this in the summer.

Basically, I want to see someone implement an Alexander/Robinson type defensive structure and stop us leaking goals. If we get someone to do this and sort out the man management side of things I think we will be okay. But its a big IF.

5 minutes ago, Luke92 said:

Ideally we need someone in before Saturday, time is obviously of the essence. 

What this means is it is more likely to be a 'til the end of the season' job. Questionable whether we can get someone desirable longer term in this time period.

James McPake is utter fear and I'm going to write that off as total paper talk. Kettlewell and Courts also a big no for me.

My criteria for the manger would be 1) Track record in the SPFL, preferably with a club of similar stature 2) Experience of implementing an organised defensive structure successfully 3) A motivator who can lift morale but also will not suffer fools

Whether there is many folk with that criteria available on a free is questionable. IMO point 1 is really important, I do worry about bringing in an outsider in this situation who doesn't understand the Scottish game. I'd be more open to this in the summer.

Basically, I want to see someone implement an Alexander/Robinson type defensive structure and stop us leaking goals. If we get someone to do this and sort out the man management side of things I think we will be okay. But its a big IF.

Who would you think fits the bill that's available out of work or alternatively could be brought in via affordable compensation?

I personally think the only available candidates for that are Goodwin, Ross, Tommy Wright, Kenny Shiels (not availble though could be), Courts or possibly the man himself Kettlewell. You then look further down the leagues to good performing Championship level managers.
It's not always successful bringing in a manager with previous success.

St Mirren took a very big punt on Danny Lennon a few years back from Cowdenbeath and he done not too badly to stabilise the club and win a cup along the way.

1 hour ago, Handsome_Devil said:

Sacking a manager after a win is always an odd look. Criticised for it at the time if I remember but the McGhee appointment never helped. At the very least it showed Motherwell don’t have a monopoly on cronyism.