Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

11 minutes ago, Phillips455 said:

Well it's a big possibility whoever finished in the top 6 come the end of next week will be competing with St Mirren for Europe.

Assuming g Aberdeen don't win the Scottish cup, then 5th will get a European spot and if Motherwell were to get into the top 6, it would only be a 4 point gap. There would be a match between each other and Kilmarnock which could be the deciding factors. This really applies more to hibs or Dundee since the gap would be smaller if they get in.

In any case, top 6 means no fear of relegation or play offs. That's all I care about eight now.

We could be 7 points ahead of you if the unlikely happens. 

3 minutes ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

They should give St Mirren a points deduction to keep it interesting. Say its for financial doping or serious foul play or something. 

I think financial doping is more up Motherwell's street.

1 hour ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

I'd rather finish 5th than 7th but I'd probably rather finish 7th than 6th. It's always a bit shite being the only team in the top half not getting Europe. Getting a result against the OF would maybe make it worth it though.

I've never had to see anyone win the league at FP and tbh until that's Motherwell, I always think fine in that regard if we're seventh. On the other hand, stopping someone winning the league... tempting.

The best thing about top 6 is it allows us to financially plan for next season at the earliest opportunity.

With the amount of players we have out of contract at the end of season, that could be quite beneficial in respect of offering new contracts to existing players and pre contracts to those we are pursuing.

If we could somehow get ourselves in the equation for a European spot that would be a bonus however unlikely at this stage.

Edited by joewarkfanclub

2 hours ago, Munoz said:

I think financial doping is more up Motherwell's street.

Shall we put this in our "10 favourite things" drawer and keep our powder dry until the inevitable happens?

Edited by Vietnam91

After a number of good trips abroad European football lost its shine with the Covid matches and me being denied a ticket for Sligo (the first Motherwell match I’ve ever attempted but failed to go to.). I enjoy the League Cup group stages, I had a trip to Elgin and an overnighter in Dumfries this season.  I think finishing the season with 3 or 4 wins would be the preference for me but making top six would be some laugh.

imagine not being a Motherwell fan.

3 hours ago, Phillips455 said:

Well it's a big possibility whoever finished in the top 6 come the end of next week will be competing with St Mirren for Europe.

Assuming g Aberdeen don't win the Scottish cup, then 5th will get a European spot and if Motherwell were to get into the top 6, it would only be a 4 point gap. There would be a match between each other and Kilmarnock which could be the deciding factors. This really applies more to hibs or Dundee since the gap would be smaller if they get in.

In any case, top 6 means no fear of relegation or play offs. That's all I care about eight now.

That's exactly what will happen. Hence I'm reading the thread.

You've had a proper roller coaster of a season. I recall going to Fir Park at the beginning of the season and it was 2nd versus 3rd, IIRC. I heard some amazing stat about your number of losses under Kettlewell at the time. Then, obviously I won't need to remind you, came the dip in form. For you to be in contention of finishing top-six at the final pre-split game is fantastic given where you were. To be fair, you're clearly not a bad side on your day - you won at Ibrox, skelped Ross County (folk suggested 10-0 at half-time would have been reasonable) and that was a pretty incredible come back on Saturday! Dundee are no mugs, they pumped us 4-0 earlier this season.

I don't think we'll catch Killie, who really are a strong side this year. So 5th spot is realistically the best we can hope for. 

Last season finishing clear in 7th, winning four and drawing one of the post split games and watching KVV run riot was actually a very enjoyable end to the season. I actually found it really enjoyable watching us play in good form, free from any pressure. 

The one I always think of on the flipside is the 2010/11 season, where we snuck in to the top six and hemorrhaged 17 goals post split, including two 0-4s and a 0-5 and then went in to the cup final in dreadful form where we witnessed a dreadful performance on a dreadful day to cap a miserable end to the season. Mind you, the next Scottish cup final we were in was proof that finishing 7th and winning games in the lead up wasn't a sure fire solution either. 

Edited by crazylegsjoe_mfc

Whether we get it or not, still being in with a shout for top 6 is hilarious to me. Just 45mins of football ago we were "sleepwalking into the playoffs" according to some (cant remember if it was here or twitter/fb I read it). I'm sure last week I posted our draw against St Mirren was still one point further away from 10th! And while I don't want to compare this team to Alexander's really, we've seen what squeaking 5th can do if you're not firing properly. Imagine how many Sligo would score against this defence before we started actually playing! 7th is good enough for me. Remember this was a safety-first/transitional season....unless we actually get 6th. Then it's fighting for fifth all the way.

3 hours ago, Handsome_Devil said:

On the other hand, stopping someone winning the league... tempting.

Anyone remember the first post-split game we actually won? IIRC it was a Sunday...

PS: After reading the replies to Barmack, our Wrexham-style-documentary is going to be called "Welcome To The Rollercoaster" and start off with a go-pro video of the Tornado at M&D's

8 hours ago, AnderooMFC said:

PS: After reading the replies to Barmack, our Wrexham-style-documentary is going to be called "Welcome To The Rollercoaster" and start off with a go-pro video of the Tornado at M&D's

Don't forget the opening voiceover as the camera climbs the tracks "forged from steel..."

3 minutes ago, eliphas said:

All this split chat reminds me how much I dislike the split. Poo.

Why?  I think it's a brilliant thing for the league.  

9 hours ago, crazylegsjoe_mfc said:

Last season finishing clear in 7th, winning four and drawing one of the post split games and watching KVV run riot was actually a very enjoyable end to the season. I actually found it really enjoyable watching us play in good form, free from any pressure. 

KVV’s quest for 30 was all I cared about last season.

I’m still patiently waiting for the bold  Thelonius to publicly announce his target number. 

6 minutes ago, Busta Nut said:

I've always been a fan of the split anaw. 

I've actually never understood the disdain for it. 

I would agree. Its not perfect but the increased volume of meaningful games outweighs any perceived unfairness at just missing out on top 6 after 33 games. It should actually be promoted more when marketing the SPFL.