New clubs in the East of Scotland

14 minutes ago, Bundesliga Boy said:

When you count up the figures there's actually only 38 clubs, plus I only count two clubs in Falkirk (Camelon and Dunipace) which would indicate there's maybe two clubs missing.

If I've got my geography right, and that's a big IF, the missing 2 may be in East and West Lothians where I count 6 and 4 as opposed to 5 and 3.

E - Preston, Ormiston, Dunbar, Musselburgh, Haddington and Tranent.

W - Linlithgow, Bo'ness, Blackburn and Broxburn. 

Appreciate the breakdown as it makes for some interesting reading, and who knows, may increase yet in the next couple of days.

Good pick up. I messed up East Lothian. As for the 3 Falkirk clubs, it's based on current Council Areas. Makes it Dunipace, Camelon and Bo'ness United.

image.png.170c9c1955c797f45ca05b1b1b02e25e.png

Edited by FairWeatherFan

Tweedmouth are in Northumberland ;).

If considering the old historic counties then the Borders breaksdown into Coldstream and Eyemouth (Berwickshire), Peebles (Peeblesshire), Hawick (Roxburghshire); there's none from Selkirkshire.

Bo'ness would join 3 others in West Lothian aka Linlithgowshire, while Camelon and Dunipace would join Stirling Uni EOS in Stirlingshire.

Musselburgh was in Midlothian. Regionalisation in 1975 saw them sent east and a Falkirk district (now unitary authority) carved-out along the Forth. Heriot-Watt Uni's patch might've been outside "county-of-city" boundaries.

I'm not sure there were ever any football clubs to speak of in Kinrossshire.

Edited by HibeeJibee

1 hour ago, HibeeJibee said:

Unlike the other one off Council Areas I didn't have to worry about Tweedmouth bordering 2 or more, so just clumped them together in the Scottish Borders. Think I intended to mention that but must of forgot.

On the topic of Tweedmouth though, I was wondering if they are eligible to get licenced as that confers membership to the SFA. There's been mention on and off that they could just groundshare with Berwick Rangers if Old Shielfield can't be brought to standard. I'm not sure with the Scotland/England issue if they're allowed to join another national FA without the historical exceptions that other clubs have had.

1 hour ago, FairWeatherFan said:

Unlike the other one off Council Areas I didn't have to worry about Tweedmouth bordering 2 or more, so just clumped them together in the Scottish Borders. Think I intended to mention that but must of forgot.

On the topic of Tweedmouth though, I was wondering if they are eligible to get licenced as that confers membership to the SFA. There's been mention on and off that they could just groundshare with Berwick Rangers if Old Shielfield can't be brought to standard. I'm not sure with the Scotland/England issue if they're allowed to join another national FA without the historical exceptions that other clubs have had.

They'd have to get approval from UEFA, but generally for non-league clubs that are isolated in their own country and right on the border with another country, that permission is being granted. Some examples:

• SV Kleinwalsertal (Austria) play in German tier 10, they are isolated within Austria and this is easier from a travel perspective
  • FC Büsingen (Germany) play in Swiss tier 7, they are based in a German enclave fully surrounded by Swiss territory
  • AP Campionese (Italy) play in Swiss tier 7, they are based in a Italian enclave fully surrounded by Swiss territory
  • UE Bossòst (Spain) play in French tier 10, they are isolated within Spain and this is easier from a travel perspective

All of these are members of the FA in the country they play in and have been approved by UEFA as such. As there is a precedent, and north Northumberland isn't exactly a hotbed of football outside of Berwick, I doubt they'd have any issues with Tweedmouth joining the SFA.

Edited by Marten

3 hours ago, HibeeJibee said:

If considering the old historic counties then the Borders breaksdown into Coldstream and Eyemouth (Berwickshire), Peebles (Peeblesshire), Hawick (Roxburghshire); there's none from Selkirkshire.

Bo'ness would join 3 others in West Lothian aka Linlithgowshire, while Camelon and Dunipace would join Stirling Uni EOS in Stirlingshire.

Musselburgh was in Midlothian. Regionalisation in 1975 saw them sent east and a Falkirk district (now unitary authority) carved-out along the Forth. Heriot-Watt Uni's patch might've been outside "county-of-city" boundaries.

I'm not sure there were ever any football clubs to speak of in Kinrossshire.

Heriot-Watt was in Currie rural district of Midlothian so was outside the old Edinburgh city boundaries. 

Selkirk and Gala would both be potential future Selkirkshire EoS clubs of course. Galashiels was split between Selkirkshire and Roxburghshire by the Gala Water but Netherdale is south of the river so in Selkirkshire. Vale of Leithen would be Peeblesshire.

Kinrossshire, Buteshire and Zetland are the only counties that have never had a Senior club. Kincardineshire has been without a Senior Club since Cove went nomadic but should be regaining them next season.

1 hour ago, Marten said:

They'd have to get approval from UEFA, but generally for non-league clubs that are isolated in their own country and right on the border with another country, that permission is being granted. Some examples:

• SV Kleinwalsertal (Austria) play in German tier 10, they are isolated within Austria and this is easier from a travel perspective
  • FC Büsingen (Germany) play in Swiss tier 7, they are based in a German enclave fully surrounded by Swiss territory
  • AP Campionese (Italy) play in Swiss tier 7, they are based in a Italian enclave fully surrounded by Swiss territory
  • UE Bossòst (Spain) play in French tier 10, they are isolated within Spain and this is easier from a travel perspective

All of these are members of the FA in the country they play in and have been approved by UEFA as such. As there is a precedent, and north Northumberland isn't exactly a hotbed of football outside of Berwick, I doubt they'd have any issues with Tweedmouth joining the SFA.

Derry City ?

Just now, Robert James said:

Derry City ?

They are a different case, as their move has mainly been because of political reasons and was judged as such. They were approved by UEFA, but not for the reasons of the clubs I mentioned above (and they are not non-league obviously).

2 minutes ago, Marten said:

They are a different case, as their move has mainly been because of political reasons and was judged as such. They were approved by UEFA, but not for the reasons of the clubs I mentioned above (and they are not non-league obviously).

OK how about Merthyr ? They are non league.

2 minutes ago, Robert James said:

OK how about Merthyr ? They are non league.

They are seen as the successors of Merthyr Tydfil and inherited the historic rights that they have (together with Swansea, Cardiff, Newport, Wrexham & Colwyn Bay).

33 minutes ago, Marten said:

They are seen as the successors of Merthyr Tydfil and inherited the historic rights that they have (together with Swansea, Cardiff, Newport, Wrexham & Colwyn Bay).

Of course for three seasons from 1992-95 the non league Unibond (NPL) Division One had the unique status of having teams from three countries in it with Gretna as well as Caernarfon Town from Wales. Colwyn Bay got promoted the year before Gretna joined and Caernarfon joined the League of Wales a few years before Gretna joined the Scottish leagues.

23 hours ago, buboy said:

Not much you can do when clubs fold.. starting out with odd numbers in each league must be the way ahead sorry for my ignorance .......

Last season Largs Thistle's last match of the season, at home v Talbot so it could have been an occasion for them, was played TWO MONTHS after their penultimate game.

A couple of scheduled free weekends is nothing.

1 hour ago, Waspie said:

Is Sauchie's application confirmed? Things have been moving so quickly it's been hard to follow. 

Not confirmed but they were rumoured to be amongst the first batch of applicants - not heard anything coming from the other remaining Superleague team (Kennoway), nor from any other West Lothian or Fife team (except Thornton's "pie price" meeting).

2 hours ago, Marten said:

Great stuff........ the splendid "historical rights" term has returned to this forum, after 400 or so posts here & on the Junior Future forum without mentioning them. 

Edited by Robert James

On 01/06/2018 at 22:03, HibeeJibee said:

By my reckoning if there are 39 clubs in EOSL cups would be:

South Challenge Cup ... 69 clubs ... 16 LL, 38 EOSL, 14 SOSL, Glasgow Uni

EOS Qualifying Cup ... 49 clubs ... 11 LL, 38 EOSL ... assuming no East Stirlingshire

Alex Jack Cup ... 31 clubs ... Bonnyrigg, Burntisland, Coldstream, Hawick, Linlithgow, Preston, Tynecastle playing in Scottish Cup

King Cup ... 39 clubs ... Stirling Uni EOS enter

EOS Qualifying League ... 39 clubs ... Stirling Uni EOS enter

Which lowland league clubs enter east of scotland cup

6 minutes ago, SimonLichtie said:

Can't help but be amused by seeing multiple junior fans on Twitter going on about how the cup final last week with last minute winner and the west super league title being decided on the last day show what you get in the juniors, unrivaled anywhere else, the clubs moving senior will lose this etc etc....

In League 1, Raith Rovers hit the post in the last minute and ultimately ended up losing the title to Ayr after drawing at home while Ayr won, after the title had swung back in their favour the previous week from an Ayr loss.

In League 2, Montrose managed to win the title on the last day despite going behind at home, and Peterhead winning 9 of their last 10 games.

In the Lowland League, Spartans won it on the last day despite only drawing, as East Kilbride surprisingly lost their last game 2-0 away to Stirling Uni.

In the East of Scotland, a sensational finish was set up after LTHV managed to go on a superb run and win all bar one of their ridiculously tight schedule in the last few weeks setting up a dramatic last day game between the top 2, infront of a superb crowd of 1400.

When talking about the last day decider yesterday which Talbot fucked and the cup final the previous week, our favourite Twitter comedian (we all know which account I'm talking about here.....) said the following:

'Join this mess of a pyramid and you lose this, the drama the passion that real proper winning feeling of achievement and being the best in a grade of football that has produced so much of this over the decades!'

It's a real shame that despite winning leagues, fans of Ayr, Montrose, Spartans and Kelty didn't get a proper winning feeling or any sense of achievement...... :unsure: :lol: 

You can also chuck in Alloa's dramatic last gasp play off win at Dumbarton.

3 minutes ago, cowdenbeath said:

You can also chuck in Alloa's dramatic last gasp play off win at Dumbarton.

I didn't think it worth mentioning to be honest. Such a game in the juniors would obviously be a superb advert for the game and be unrivaled, but with this being a senior game it obviously meant nothing to the Alloa fans who I hear barely even applauded the last minute winner such was the lack of winning feeling they had. :rolleyes:;) 

To actually take this a step further, it's an even more ridiculous comment when you consider Talbot are the number 1 junior team currently, and have been the last few years and have won the junior cup on multiple occasions even in the last decade. Montrose have been utter w**k for over 20 years and finally achieved something, where as Talbot are used too success and are the top club at their level. Trying to claim Talbot would have a 'real sense of achievement' to, yet again, win it and confirm themselves as top dogs in junior football and Montrose, who have barely won anything in their existence would not have a 'real sense of achievement' winning something for once is just incredible really.