Work colleagues

4 hours ago, scottsdad said:

The Prof has Covid. Cancelled a class he was having today.

What's the deal with that these days? Two weeks off, or play it by ear? Nobody in my family has had it yet, so I've no idea.

Presumably the Prof will be away for vital treatment in the Caribbean.

44 minutes ago, BTFD said:

What's the deal with that these days? Two weeks off, or play it by ear? Nobody in my family has had it yet, so I've no idea.

Presumably the Prof will be away for vital treatment in the Caribbean.

One of our grandsons has it (Covid, not vital treatment in the Carribean). He wasn't even told to stay at home.

On 28/09/2023 at 22:02, BTFD said:

I stumbled upon a Reddit thread about working from home after overhearing the lonely micromanagers last week. Half of the thread was people moaning about how they never get to see their friends anymore, and the office is such a lonely place with only a handful of people in, so those working from home should think about other people and come back into work.

Take a fucking hint. They're not your "friends", and they'd be arranging to see you outside of work if they were. Stop trying to force other people to be your mates and relying on captive workers for social interaction, or you're going to end up chewing the ears off bored counter staff in the Post Office when retirement inevitably comes calling.

The two groups that seem to miss it most are the Brentesque middle managers who relied on in-office working to provide them with a captive audience and the wee groups of middle-aged wifies who have what passes for a social circle built around work. Even the latter have found an MO by co-ordinating their days in, so it's really only the first lot who there was never really any hope for anyway.

I remember during one of the lockdowns one of the Brents stridently complaining to me that WFH simply doesn't work because nobody was keeping in touch with each other and thinkling to myself  "Aye, nobody's keeping in touch with YOU..." People were just sending him strictly-business emails and avoiding phoning him because they knew they'd be subjected to 45 minutes of his brand of performance art if they did.

• 2 weeks later...

Out for a walk yesterday evening, passing a bar, see and speak with two colleagues sitting outside with prosecco. Time was approx 7.30pm and they were both still in work clothes (left work at 4.15p.m.). Nothing wrong with that. However, one has to raise an eyebrow when one of the lassies from that group pitches up at work this morning and runs to spew. 

Edited by jimbaxters

1 hour ago, jimbaxters said:

Out for a walk yesterday evening, passing a bar, see and speak with two colleagues sitting outside with prosecco. Time was approx 7.30pm and they were both still in work clothes (left work at 4.15p.m.). Nothing wrong with that. However, one has to raise an eyebrow when one lass pitches up at work this morning and runs to spew. 

Do you have that effect on all women?

My work has been having some cash flow issues recently, mostly as a result of some poorly calculated decisions and 'deals' made at the top level. Been a bit concerning, especially for those of us slightly further down the chain. Thankfully, everyone just about got paid, but it was late. 

There was a zoom meeting the other day, and some middle management corporate circle w**k dafty - basically speaking on behalf of those that fucked up - told us to the effect of "compensation is only part of the employee experience"

Nearly prepared my notice on the spot.

Edited by AuAl

7 minutes ago, AuAl said:

My work has been having some cash flow issues recently, mostly as a result of some poorly calculated decisions and 'deals' made at the top level. Been a bit concerning, especially for those of us slightly further down the chain. Thankfully, everyone just about got paid, but it was late. 

There was a zoom meeting the other day, and some middle management corporate circle w**k dafty - basically speaking on behalf of those that fucked up - told us to the effect of "compensation is only part of the employee experience"

You should torch the building.

• 4 weeks later...
On 05/08/2022 at 16:10, Miguel Sanchez said:

Me, when I walk into work this morning and see the warehouse has been completely moved around by the new boss despite everyone telling him it's a bad idea:

GIF: Liverpool Turn The Sprinklers On Their Own Fans. | Balls.ie

On 03/07/2023 at 18:42, Miguel Sanchez said:

My manager is an idiot, a coward and I remain convinced he's a plant from a competitor trying to get us shut down.

This time next week he'll be Annan's problem, not mine.

Mourinho Mourinho Run GIF - Mourinho Mourinho Run - Discover & Share GIFs

On 12/10/2023 at 13:36, AuAl said:

it-makes-me-sad-that-amazon-dropped-the-wage-cage-think-of-v0-k1s64cta436b1.thumb.png.a099290887f9b44dcb4d184edbf2fc4f.png

Suspect this is aforementioned middle management w**k's view of what the employee experience should look like.

9 minutes ago, Ekhibee88 said:

Anyone had experience with smaller places of work with members of family and friends who join? 

Bit of a shock to me coming from a bigger place with a more level playing field. 

Aye, it’s usually pish. The proprietor (usually a guid c**t) brings his wife/grown up weans in, they’re (usually) fairly entitled lazy c***s. The weans you need to put straight early doors - they know they’ve not to rock the boat; the wife, I’m afraid, you just have to endure.