Work colleagues

4 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

I’d like to run my own business but don’t have an idea on what to do.

Please give suggestions and I 100% promise I’ll give up my 9 to 5 and devote my life to the best one.

Rent boy to the blind.

15 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

I’d like to run my own business but don’t have an idea on what to do.

Please give suggestions and I 100% promise I’ll give up my 9 to 5 and devote my life to the best one.

I have this thought process regularly. Would love to work for myself, but have no idea what I'd want/be able to do.

19 minutes ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

Declare your house an independent nation and become president for life

We could all do it, sign treaties with each other, and become the United Nations of Scotland.

The unionists could all sign pacts with England. Sorted.

45 minutes ago, die hard doonhamer said:

I have this thought process regularly. Would love to work for myself, but have no idea what I'd want/be able to do.

What do you do now? We'll get it sorted for you, nae bather.

1 hour ago, BigFatTabbyDave said:

We could all do it, sign treaties with each other, and become the United Nations of Scotland.

The unionists could all sign pacts with England. Sorted.

And form our own football league without the OF.

3 hours ago, die hard doonhamer said:

My niece asked me the other day what I wanted to be when I grow up.

Apart from the obvious fact I'm 37 and still not grown up, I don't have a fucking clue what I want to do.

6 hours ago, Jacksgranda said:

And his employee...

You forgot to mention the company chairman, head accountant, safety officer and chief business strategist.  According to the company counsellor they all have multiple personality issues.

so, got into our office today. I live and work down in England. I sometimes go into a network office at a depot near home as normally I'm out visiting customers so when I come into our depot no one has their own desk..you just grab whatever is free and people from various other offices/areas come and go depending on meetings etc.
Anyway, I had one eye on the Scotland rugby game, few folk also watching the score on BBC. 
Theres a lad from our accounts department here today working about 4 desks away from me.   He's never down here so its unusual to see him and he's not one of the 'regulars' in this office(most of the usual guys are sound).   He's a wee bloke, bit of a nerd, can imagine him playing Dungeons and Dragons at the weekend and hes the type who always has to make a 'funny' comment about everything and witters on to anyone who he gets the attention of.  Colin Hunt type guy...
On seeing the Scotland score he proclaims to the office "oh i see the jocks are finally managing to get somewhere in Japan".  The use of the word 'Jock' had already got my attention but I had my back to him so I've carried it on working and ignored it.
He then continues with "oooh 49-0, I don't think Scottish folk can count that high though".  Theres been a bit of a giggle in the office, I've swung round and said in my best Begbie accent "do ye want to repeat that I didnae quite hear it?" although I was smiling so it could still be seen as banter.  He's continued by saying "yeah well you're not the brightest lot up there are you?", and I've responded(again jokingly and I'm cringing about saying it)  with "i can show you how bright we are in the car park if you want".
I appreciate folk will think i'm making this up but its genuiely just happened this morning.   Some office lass who was listening to it all has come up to me and said "you better be careful, he'll go to HR and say you threatened him".  So yeah thats been my morning.

Im sure he wont go to HR and say ‘well i was racially abusing some guy and he told me to f**k off’.

22 hours ago, D.A.F.C said:

I'm not pumping you lot ok.

Apologies if you've mentioned it earlier, but what type of work are you in? Sounds eerily similar to the shower of shite I had to work with in my last job.

Best thing I did was finding a new job and get out.

Edited by LincolnHearts

FWIW I started on my own in 2005 and still going.

Personal politics aside, the credit crunch of 2008, the Indyref of 2014 and the unresolved Brexit of 2016 have been the biggest fuckups the business has faced. None of which are my, or the business’s making, but they are waters that needed charting through.

Net result: I’m still 15 years into my own business. There will never be a right time with perfectly benign conditions to launch your killer idea. Just. Do. it.

As a very wise man said to me in 2005 - ‘What’s the worst that can happen?’ You’ll maybe get three months behind on your mortgage? If you’re that good that you can launch your own business but it fails, guaranteed somebody will take you on. You’ll be fine...

9 hours ago, Fullerene said:

You forgot to mention the company chairman, head accountant, safety officer and chief business strategist.  According to the company counsellor they all have multiple personality issues.

Them an a'

Edited by Jacksgranda

18 hours ago, alta-pete said:

FWIW I started on my own in 2005 and still going.

Personal politics aside, the credit crunch of 2008, the Indyref of 2014 and the unresolved Brexit of 2016 have been the biggest fuckups the business has faced. None of which are my, or the business’s making, but they are waters that needed charting through.

Net result: I’m still 15 years into my own business. There will never be a right time with perfectly benign conditions to launch your killer idea. Just. Do. it.

As a very wise man said to me in 2005 - ‘What’s the worst that can happen?’ You’ll maybe get three months behind on your mortgage? If you’re that good that you can launch your own business but it fails, guaranteed somebody will take you on. You’ll be fine...

Or put a "The" at start of your company name and pretend nothing happened.

Edited by Cerberus

The daughter of a friend of mine who is 15 (the daughter, not the friend) has recently announced she wants to train as a mortician. Her family are creeped out by the idea and aren’t being supportive whereas I’m taking a more philosophical stance in that while I wouldn’t want to do it, I’m glad there are people who do.

Anyway, the other day she asked me how old I was when I figured out what I wanted to do in life.

Fuxxake, how do I explain to a 15-year old kid that at 57, I still haven’t a fucking clue?

18 minutes ago, Shotgun said:

The daughter of a friend of mine who is 15 (the daughter, not the friend) has recently announced she wants to train as a mortician. Her family are creeped out by the idea and aren’t being supportive whereas I’m taking a more philosophical stance in that while I wouldn’t want to do it, I’m glad there are people who do.

Anyway, the other day she asked me how old I was when I figured out what I wanted to do in life.

Fuxxake, how do I explain to a 15-year old kid that at 57, I still haven’t a fucking clue?

I think that's something people need to learn for themselves in their 40s after suspecting as much from their 20s.