What's the most "Tin Pot" thing you've seen in the SPFL

17 hours ago, VictorOnopko said:

Not only that, but it's well worth remembering that England with their sole major tournament win are tied with Denmark, Greece and Portugal on that number, behind fellow one-off winners the Netherlands, Czechia/oslovakia and the USSR in terms of finals reached, with those countries all having got to 4 against England's 2 (both at home). They are miles behind the "Big 7" of Brazil, W/Germany, Italy, Argentina, Uruguay, France and Spain, who have all won at least 4 and been to at least 5 finals.  Germany are currently on 14 major finals and Italy on 10. 🙂

Are you counting Euros but not the other regional tournaments?  

4 hours ago, hk blues said:

Are you counting Euros but not the other regional tournaments?  

Wrong thread for this discussion I realise but since you asked, I counted Euros and Copa Americas (the two continents with WC winners/finalists)  - bearing in mind the latter has had 47 stagings to 16 Euros, has fewer countries, and started much earlier - so for comparison's sake maybe 3 CAs to a Euro win. Obviously if WC wins are heavily weighted then England's sole win puts them =7th with Spain (with 1 major win to Spain's 4). There is no comprehensive way to order this table but there is a clear Top 7 and I would argue that the Czechs have been a bigger force in world football than England.  Yours, McGlashan 😉

Team

WC wins

WC RU

Euro/CA wins (*eqv)

Euro/CA RU

Total Wins

Total RU

Finals

(WC)

Argentina

15 (*5)

17 (*8)

34 (6)

Brazil

9 (*3)

14 (*8)

27 (7)

Germany

14 (8)

Uruguay

15 (*5)

17 (*7)

23 (2)

Italy

10 (6)

France

7 (4)

Spain

5 (1)

Holland

4 (3)

USSR

Czech/o

4 (2)

England

2 (1)

Portugal

Note: Paraguay, Chile and Peru have all won 2 CAs with 6,4 and 1 losing finals respectively.

We need to get one of those guest invitations to the Copa America, hope the big guns have a down year, and sneak a major international tournament victory just to emphasise what colossal underachievers England are given their resources.

The fact they have the same number of Tournament triumphs across their history as Denmark, a nation that was entirely amateur until 1978, AND they've hosted three Finals and done their level best to make every advantage out of that, is nothing short of hilarious.

23 minutes ago, Boo Khaki said:

The fact they have the same number of Tournament triumphs across their history as Denmark, a nation that was entirely amateur until 1978, AND they've hosted three Finals and done their level best to make every advantage out of that, is nothing short of hilarious.

I have well and truly made peace with the fact that they're bound to win another one soon because even when/if? they do they will still be laughably underachieving. I'm sure I had said to an English colleague during the last euros when he was winding me up about them getting to the final etc that tbh if they don't win at least 2 out of the next 4 major tournaments then it should be considered a major failure given the current crop of players and the state of the competition  . That's 2 down already with nothing to show for themselves. 

Rangers cancelling the tickets for the Celtic supporters for their upcoming SWPL game due to a 'risk' group of supporters attending. I'm not sure what is more tinpot- cancelling the tickets, a group of fans attending a women's game intent on causing bother or their inability to deal with them. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/68325218

Edited by Archie McSquackle
Added link

Just now, Archie McSquackle said:

Rangers cancelling the tickets for the Celtic supporters for their upcoming SWPL game due to a 'risk' group of supporters attending. I'm not sure what is more tinpot- cancelling the tickets, a group of fans attending a women's game intent on causing bother or their inability to deal with them. 

Absolutely ridiculous, especially when you consider that last season, there were matches between the two with no segregation and precisely zero crowd trouble.

IIRC the only trouble at one of those games last season was when the Rangers assistant manager stuck the head on the Celtic manager from behind

46 minutes ago, Archie McSquackle said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/68325218

I have never heard of them doing this for the mans game........surely there have been far more instances of potential trouble makers at first team games.........

Not sure this is the thread for this, but Doncaster City in the 11th tier of England are on one.

Currently signed a raft of retired players like Charlie Mulgrew and Ross McCormack.

3 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Not sure this is the thread for this, but Doncaster City in the 11th tier of England are on one.

Currently signed a raft of retired players like Charlie Mulgrew and Ross McCormack.

I hope they drive there.

3 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

The same mob who wanted to join the Scottish Cup. They have a hard-on for their northern neighbours, clearly.

32 minutes ago, DiegoDiego said:

A 36-year-old, who was an average top flight striker in his prime, being top scorer in the Championship.

There's nothing tinpot about this though, Graham is a credit to himself and a perfect example of where supreme professionalism and hard work can get you in your career.

8 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

There's nothing tinpot about this though, Graham is a credit to himself and a perfect example of where supreme professionalism and hard work can get you in your career.

That can be true (and is becoming increasingly common in sport, e.g. Jagr still playing in the Czech top flight at 52), whilst still making the rest of the league seem tin pot in comparison.

6 minutes ago, Archie McSquackle said:

Doncaster was ceded to Scotland in 1136 by King Stephen and never formally handed back. I think that was the gist of their claim. 

They give us Berwick back and we'll maybe talk.