Ageing

Just now, Tynieness said:

She wae maybe alluding to the fact you have always presumably been a grumpy shite.

Take out the maybe and presumably and change wae to was and that would be a decent post.

4 hours ago, Harry Kinnear said:

I'll be 52 this year, still have my hair and due to it being blonde when young not much grey around.

I'm in decent shape, walk a lot and go to the gym 4 times a week. I try to eat healthy, don't add salt to anything and stopped drinking alcohol last year. I feel that I am a lot happier, less grumpy individual than I used to be and I don't tend to lose my temper much now.

In general I'm probably in better shape than I was 20 years ago. On the downside my eyesight is definitely getting worse and I was walking through M&S on Falkirk High Street last week and saw a jacket I liked. If that isn't a sign of getting old I don't know what is.

Jade Goody was blonde.

There is no escape from old age so what's the point to use fake techniques to look younger? I think to be natural is the best thing and it's the health that keeps you young, so concentrate on that instead of the looks. A healthy body and mind is what matters at the end.

4 hours ago, Ronish Baxter said:

There is no escape from old age so what's the point to use fake techniques to look younger? I think to be natural is the best thing and it's the health that keeps you young, so concentrate on that instead of the looks. A healthy body and mind is what matters at the end.

So where can one purchase some of this 'health' you speak of? 

On 3/21/2018 at 00:07, Shotgun said:

I did the 'head shave for charity' thing a few years ago and quite liked the look so kept it buzzed short for a year or so. Ironically, this really emphasised the grey - a fact which many people took great delight in pointing out to me.

Image result for shake head in disbelief gif

In my fifth decade.

Increasingly comfortable in my own skin but starting to slow mentally. Starting to find learning new things harder.

The neurological aspects of ageing worry me more than the physical. 

I like my Dennis Healy eyebrows.

I assume that people find it necessary to trim or shave their body hair because it has outgrown their genitals. Fortunately still have a few inches to spare but I don’t think we should judge the trimmers too harshly.  We should pity their wee maggots.  The shavers on the other hand are deviant perverts and should be shunned.

34 minutes ago, gannonball said:

Ive started enjoying 40 winks on the couch of late, is the end in sight for me?

Love a good nap, though the lines are now blurring between power naps and straightforward auld codger naps. 

27 minutes ago, gannonball said:

Ive started enjoying 40 winks on the couch of late, is the end in sight for me?

Probably not.  Partly depends what age you are and what age your kids are, I think.  When I was in my 40s and the weans were wee I'd often get up well before 06.00 to attend to one or other of them and then go to work.  I had some very long days but when I was back home before 18.00 I;d often read to one or more of them and fall asleep with them on the couch or bed.

Now that I'm close to 60 I'm usually in bed by Midnight and always awake by 7 on school days and almost never have naps.  I do, though, work part-time. 

I reckon you're not old enough yet.

I absolutely hate gardening. But the other week i got all the rubbish out of it, got it weeded and all tidied and for the first time i felt a sense of pride having done it. Think that might be the start of a slippery slope towards old age.

I'll be turning 35 in a couple of months. I have always been okay with ageing and never really taken much notice of it (I think I still look quite young for my age). That has all changed since my wee boy arrived on the scene five months ago. I think about age and mortality much more now and I find myself having moments of panic when I realise that I am responsible for a little human and my time with him needs to be appreciated. My health and fitness is my big panic now. Ive always been reasonably active and I've always taken great pride in my ability to chase folk about for an hour or so at fives (my limited footballing ability is balanced out by my doggedness). Unfortunately I can't do that as well now and I have taken my eye off the ball a little over the last year (but we did have a lot going on with the pregnancy). I'm trying hard to get back to fitness and to be more comfortable with my diet (which has always been pretty good but could be better).

I need to be a role model for my son when it comes to eating and having a healthy lifestyle. I have no better motivation than trying to be the dad I want to be. I can't bear the thought of being an unfit parent who couldn't take his son to play football, go cycling, hillwalking etc. My dad was always very, very fit and it is only now that I can appreciate how much stuff we did when I was younger and the fact that he was physically able to give me the opportunities to do these things.

My dad (85) has been in hospital again for the past couple of weeks (on meds and he’s somehow torn his rotator cuff on his right shoulder). Having been up to see him in the acute elderly care unit and finally getting him out yesterday, it’s kind of put me off getting old. Only one “wid” nurse (the rest could be doing with a few weeks off the Quality Street) and I spent most of yesterday going through his phone deleting all his contacts that are now dead.

Depressing stuff.