The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

53 minutes ago, Thereisalight.. said:

Telling a fan they have no idea what they’re talking about etc, and that questions are too “convoluted” just smacks of twat IMO

Did you read the questions?  Eye bleeding stuff.  Although as I say, I think he is daft for getting into a q&a session in that format anyway.  Adds absolutely no value really as the few good questions and answers are lost in a sea of dross.  

Main points I took were that Sandy Stewart is choosing the new coach, that the compensation we got for McCall will go to the playing budget and (reading between the lines) that if Stewart does well in the 3 games he has and also wants the job then there's a decent chance he would get it. 

6 minutes ago, Hursty said:

Did you read the questions?  Eye bleeding stuff.  Although as I say, I think he is daft for getting into a q&a session in that format anyway.  Adds absolutely no value really as the few good questions and answers are lost in a sea of dross.  

Main points I took were that Sandy Stewart is choosing the new coach, that the compensation we got for McCall will go to the playing budget and (reading between the lines) that if Stewart does well in the 3 games he has and also wants the job then there's a decent chance he would get it. 

Appointing Stewart permanently would be lazy. He works well as a coach or number 2 and I’d want him to stay on in that capacity but it’s been a long time since he was a manager 

Edited by Thereisalight..

6 minutes ago, Thereisalight.. said:

Appointing Stewart permanently would be lazy. He works well as a coach or number 2 and I’d want him to stay on in that capacity but it’s been a long time since he was a manager 

It was a long time since McCall was a manager when he was appointed, and he worked out okay. He was completely out the game in fact.

A Q&A isn't a bad idea especially with so many people moaning for years that there was no communication from club to fans. It could do with being a better format though with questions submitted and only the sensible/legible ones being put forward.

IMG_3445.jpg

Well, there it is folks, a sad day indeed.

Best of luck to him.

Now, we need to make sure that we absolutely pump then in our next encounter.

And, we need to make sure that they get absolutely none of our players.

We've been all nicely nicely up till now, but now it's done, its WAR!!!

I'm sure he will be tapping them up soon enough.

3 minutes ago, UpInTheAyr said:

It was a long time since McCall was a manager when he was appointed, and he worked out okay. He was completely out the game in fact.

That’s true. McCall had numerous managerial job so before that though. Stewart has only managed one club who aren’t on the same level as we are 

Wouldn’t be suprised if McCall tried to get Harvie and McCowan in Jan. Plus I’d be shocked if he didn’t go for Doolan 

He can have Doolan. Getting him off the wage bill plus whatever money Cameron has said will be available should allow us a couple of reinforcements.

Thistle won’t be able to afford to outright buy Harvie and McCowan but a PCA for the former wouldn’t surprise me.

3 minutes ago, Thereisalight.. said:

That’s true. McCall had numerous managerial job so before that though. Stewart has only managed one club who aren’t on the same level as we are 

He did so , out the game 4 years and in his last 3 manager positions he was sacked twice and forced to resign from other , great track record at the time NOT , but turned out a real gem for us 

3 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

He’ll undoubtedly want Harvie, McCowan and Forrest. Wouldn’t be surprised about Moffat or if he tried to get Kelly and Doohan in January either (assuming loan deals need formally extended)

I thought Kelly and Doohan were on season long loans

as others have said he can gladly have Doolan, as his heart is clearly still there and not with us

I’d be very surprised if Forrest went with McCall to Partick. There were strong rumours at the start of the season their relationship was becoming frayed. Left back wise I think Partick have a couple of decent players there, not sure on their contract situation. McCowan will be a target, but he’s tied down for another year i’m sure.

12 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

He’ll undoubtedly want Harvie, McCowan and Forrest. Wouldn’t be surprised about Moffat or if he tried to get Kelly and Doohan in January either (assuming loan deals need formally extended)

He can’t get Doohan or Kelly as they are in season long loans , their parent club would need to cancel them , can’t see them doing that , Ayr would need to sell him the others as they are contracted , can’t see us selling any players to them during season 

Shame for you lads to lose McCall at this stage when things are looking promising on the park.

I notice Sandy Stewart is favourite, with Owen Coyle third favourite.  It was Coyle as manager with SS assistant at Saints that brought a bit of excitement back to the club after a dour spell in the early 2000's.  Went with him to Burnley as well.

Don't know a lot about Stewart as a person, so not talking about him specifically, but there are a fair few no. 2's out there who possibly aren't well suited to the top job, no matter how good a coach they are.  Having to be the bad guy at times, man-management, handling pressure, dealing with the media, budgets etc are all added responsibilities that make the job about far more than just coaching.

Having said that, promoting from within has worked well for us a couple of times, so it completely depends upon the individual involved.

When you're doing so well, continuity might be a good thing, if Stewart is keen for it.