The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

1 hour ago, Superhursty7 said:

Best thing my dad did was take me to see Ayr V Arsenal in a pre-season friendly in 1987 been more lows than highs but would not have it any other way.

download (7).jpeg

What kind of squad did Arsenal bring up for that game? Anyone remember 😂

2 minutes ago, Thereisalight.. said:

Can only find the score 6-0 to Arsenal,was to young to rember the teams but I have always thought Charlie Nicolas played but I could never wrong.

4 minutes ago, Superhursty7 said:

Can only find the score 6-0 to Arsenal,was to young to rember the teams but I have always thought Charlie Nicolas played but I could never wrong.

That was one of my first games and I’m pretty sure Charlie Nicolas came on as a sub.

Never forget that Ian Ure, specifically highlighted in Fever Pitch as Nick Hornby's least favourite ever Arsenal player, went to Ayr Academy.

22 minutes ago, Thereisalight.. said:

I certainly remember Nicholas playing. Don’t know if many others of this squad list played. 

IMG_2903.png

2 hours ago, Richey Edwards said:

I remember back in the early 2000s the matchday programmes had a feature in which they asked a fan questions like what their first game was, who their favourite player is, what player they would most like to see play for Ayr etc. Someone named this as their first game. The only reason that I remember that is because I thought "wow Ayr played Arsenal" and in my 10 year old mind the fact that my team had played a game against such a major club seemed like a big deal.

I went to the Ayr united Vs Man United xi and saw Paul pogba etc 😅 That was wow for me, aged 21.

Didn't John Traynor have his testimonial against Newcastle United? 🤔 97? 98?

Honestly, I love the idea of Ayr taking on teams that have spent millions on players and giving them a good bash 😊

Just now, Roxanne's man said:

I went to the Ayr united Vs Man United xi and saw Paul pogba etc 😅 That was wow for me, aged 21.

Didn't John Traynor have his testimonial against Newcastle United? 🤔 97? 98?

Honestly, I love the idea of Ayr taking on teams that have spent millions on players and giving them a good bash 😊

I went to the Man United game as well. I told my nephew about it a while ago and he was more impressed by the fact Sean McGinty was playing for Man Utd than he was that I'd witnessed Pogba playing at Somerset.

Traynors testimonial was during the 2000/2001 season.

Screenshot_20240519_220155_Chrome.thumb.jpg.fadc96d924c6cd2edff5dac944df0044.jpg

14 minutes ago, motley123rock said:

I certainly remember Nicholas playing. Don’t know if many others of this squad list played. 

IMG_2903.png

Was before my time but my Dad and his brothers were at it. I remember them saying that Arsenal would go 10-15 minutes of just holding the ball and passing it around the team and we couldn’t get near them. 

Posted (edited)
54 minutes ago, Thereisalight.. said:

54 minutes ago, Thereisalight.. said:

Arsenal: Lukic, Thomas, Sansom, Williams, O'Leary, Adams, Rocastle, Davis, Quinn, Smith and Hayes; subs - Winterbottom, Caesar, Nicholas, Rix, Wilmot and Groves. Ayr United: MacLean, McIntyre, McCann, Hughes, Furphy, Evans, Wilson. Trialist, Walker, Sludden and Cowell; subs - Scott, Watson, McAllister, Kennedy and McCracken. We were 4-0 down at half-time (Alan Smith hat-trick, Niall Quinn). George Watson replaced Sandy MacLean in goal at half-time. Charlie Nicholas and Paul Davis scored in the second half. Crowd 5,012. 

Edited by Caledonian

19 minutes ago, Richey Edwards said:

I went to the Man United game as well. I told my nephew about it a while ago and he was more impressed by the fact Sean McGinty was playing for Man Utd than he was that I'd witnessed Pogba playing at Somerset.

Traynors testimonial was during the 2000/2001 season.

Screenshot_20240519_220155_Chrome.thumb.jpg.fadc96d924c6cd2edff5dac944df0044.jpg

Is that the same Stephen Glass, Ryan McGuffie and Colin McMenamin who had fairly succesful careers in the Scottish lower leagues? 

2 minutes ago, ayrunitedfw said:

Is that the same Stephen Glass, Ryan McGuffie and Colin McMenamin who had fairly succesful careers in the Scottish lower leagues? 

Stephen Glass was definitely at Newcastle as I remember him from the sticker books 😂 it's ringing a bell about the other two as well. Newcastle had a thing for young Scottish lads back in the day. Caldwell brothers were on the books as well 

4 minutes ago, ayrunitedfw said:

Never forget Colin McMenamin scoring a hat trick at Somerset in Mark Roberts last game in charge. 

Stephen Glass was a regular for Aberdeen before moving to Newcastle. 

20 minutes ago, North Terrace Gazza said:

was at the Arsenal game. They fielded a strong team and coasted the game. I seem to remember Nicolas coming on as a sub and scoring. But I could be wrong

I was at the game full strength Arsenal team . Nicholas came on and got dogs abuse from the Ayr fans , he promptly banged on in from 18 yards and gave the north terrace the yawn . 

10 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

Never forget Colin McMenamin scoring a hat trick at Somerset in Mark Roberts last game in charge.

McMenamin still wishes he could have played Ayr every week.

I seem to recall some World Cup advert where they got various players to take on absolutely hunners of children and roast them all. That was how the Pogba game went except he was the youngest player on the pitch.