The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

In the current market 250k is allot but to be perfectly honest he’s worth far more than that to us given we haven’t stayed up in this league for a long time. Fans who say we need to “cash in” absolutely fucking baffle me. As a fan you never get the chance to see a player as good as him but you want to cash in - what the actual f**k. The team doesn’t need four or five players to strengthen it so completely pointless.

12 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

In the current market 250k is allot but to be perfectly honest he’s worth far more than that to us given we haven’t stayed up in this league for a long time. Fans who say we need to “cash in” absolutely fucking baffle me. As a fan you never get the chance to see a player as good as him but you want to cash in - what the actual f**k. The team doesn’t need four or five players to strengthen it so completely pointless.

Some want to cash in for far less, a goodbye next summer with zero transfer fee will do me fine, this could be the best Ayr team in 40 years, why the f**k would anyone forgo that for a healthier bank balance.

Edited by ayrmad

6 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

The "cash in" mentality is exactly why we have not competed at this level for a long time. You don't get to stay at a higher level if you sell your best players just because you get offered money for them and you might lose them for nothing at the end of the season.

A good performance in the league and a decent cup run this season will be worth a lot more than whatever money is being offered for Shankland - even if he does leave for nothing at the end of the season.

3 minutes ago, ayrmad said:

Some want to cash in for far less, a goodbye next summer with zero transfer fee will do me fine, this could be the best Ayr team in 40 years, why the f**k would anyone forego that for a healthier bank balance.

Shankland wants to stay, we want to keep him, so the bottom line (as the club have already confirmed) is that unless we receive an offer that we just can't refuse and also one that Shankland himself would favour, then basically he's staying with us. Realistically I'd expect a "can't refuse offer" to be in the region of £250k and above.

Shankland aside, I reckon that Craig Moore will also have a field day when he returns from injury, although Shanks is excellent in his own right it must be acknowledged that the fast flowing football and movement of our midfield and wingers is creating chance after chance which the likes of a finisher like Moore would be snapping up.

Taking yesterday as an example, Doolan never got a look in as the service to him was completely non existent, if however Doolan had been playing up top for us yesterday then I reckon he would have looked a different player.

There's no doubt that Shankland is the icing on the cake, however we're far more than a one man band.............................

10 hours ago, pandarilla said:

I think people are confusing the English championship with English league 1.

I've been banging on about this for a while now, however the lack of talent out there is starting to really show as players who were mediocre at their best are now seen as top players when they're over the hill.

There's Mark McNulty as an example, since he left Livvy he's been kicking around League 1 & League 2 in England but he's now suddenly become a marquis signing for Reading in the Championship, we all of course know about the crazy £8 million for Waghorn and the £22 million for Maddison and then you've guys like John O'Shea who's well past his best but still a top target in the Championship despite being relegated with Sunderland.

Honestly, keep your eye on the English Championship and you'll see it's a complete dumpling fest, I've also noticed that their crowds are dwindling at an alarming rate, so maybe things are starting to change again in football which makes it all the more important that we don't sell ourselves short if transferring any of our players, especially to the English clubs...............

Shankland is easily the most complete striker we've had in my time. Left foot, right foot, headers, 40 yard screamers. You'd forgive him if he was lazy but his work rate is excellent. The sky is the limit if we keep him this season. There's no stand out team in this league and from the three games we've played against Partick and Morton we've nothing to be worried about.

Shankland is easily the most complete striker we've had in my time. Left foot, right foot, headers, 40 yard screamers. You'd forgive him if he was lazy but his work rate is excellent. The sky is the limit if we keep him this season. There's no stand out team in this league and from the three games we've played against Partick and Morton we've nothing to be worried about.

His around game was outstanding yesterday holds the ball up well brings the midfield into play and tracks back, he's also encouraging the other players about him prime example when Forrest was down in the boy pulling him back up and giving him a pat on the back he becoming a real leader on the pitch.

Some want to cash in for far less, a goodbye next summer with zero transfer fee will do me fine, this could be the best Ayr team in 40 years, why the f**k would anyone forgo that for a healthier bank balance.

Exactly, it goes against everything about being a football fan.

You don’t go through about fifteen years of utter shite to then sell off one of the best players you’ve had in decades after a couple of games.

We have done very well to get Harvie tied up on a two year deal also!

9 hours ago, Newmember said:

Really 500 k u mad 

Why not, it's about how much it would take for him to leave us and not how much someone is willing to pay.  

Shankland wants to stay, we want to keep him, so the bottom line (as the club have already confirmed) is that unless we receive an offer that we just can't refuse and also one that Shankland himself would favour, then basically he's staying with us. Realistically I'd expect a "can't refuse offer" to be in the region of £250k and above.
Shankland aside, I reckon that Craig Moore will also have a field day when he returns from injury, although Shanks is excellent in his own right it must be acknowledged that the fast flowing football and movement of our midfield and wingers is creating chance after chance which the likes of a finisher like Moore would be snapping up.
Taking yesterday as an example, Doolan never got a look in as the service to him was completely non existent, if however Doolan had been playing up top for us yesterday then I reckon he would have looked a different player.
There's no doubt that Shankland is the icing on the cake, however we're far more than a one man band.............................
I hope I'm wrong but I disagree about Moore and shankland.

Yes Moore can finish chances and will run his heart out but without shankland we don't get up the park to make the chances.

He had four or five incredible layoffs yesterday, that set us off. Add on to that the physical presence that creates second balls in the middle. I've never seen that from Moore but like I said, I hope I'm wrong.

4 minutes ago, pandarilla said:

I hope I'm wrong but I disagree about Moore and shankland.

Yes Moore can finish chances and will run his heart out but without shankland we don't get up the park to make the chances.

He had four or five incredible layoffs yesterday, that set us off. Add on to that the physical presence that creates second balls in the middle. I've never seen that from Moore but like I said, I hope I'm wrong.

We missed Moore yesterday towards the end of the game IMO. Moff and Shankland don’t have the pace of Moore to chase balls down the channels. Had he been on I think the last 10 would have been a lot more comfortable. 

Christ, what a dilemma to have compared to last time we were here when Andy O’Connell and Jamie Thomas were our strikeforce :lol:

I'm nailing my colours to the mast, it takes a lot for me to post that Sludden wasn't close to Shankland, Sludds had nowhere near the all round game that Sir Lawrence possesses, as a team, they're probably going to replace that side as well.

Last season we were just scoring loads of goals without the performances that really matched the scoreline most weeks, this season I've already watched some fantastic stuff against the 2 Championship sides.

So many of last seasons players have improved in leaps n bounds for getting a champions medal.

Edited by ayrmad

I've got to ask, as I'm not completely clued up on the rules of football...

Why wasn't there a yellow card for the penalty yesterday? I've watched the highlights and can't understand why it wasn't either a yellow or straight red?

If Mccall has came out and stated that Shankland is at Ayr for the season, I'm elated. He's at Ayr, he's enjoying his football, he's keeping us up. As for a transfer fee for him, I'm certain Ayr would get further and make more money without selling him, cup runs and the likes. 

14 minutes ago, Superhursy7 said:

We should enjoy him as long as we can, I remember Hugh Burns being our top scorer with about 4 goals in 1993 so we are being blessed with the crop of attacking player we have just now

I think we had Frye scoring 5 back in the day.

10 minutes ago, Superhursy7 said:

We should enjoy him as long as we can, I remember Hugh Burns being our top scorer with about 4 goals in 1993 so we are being blessed with the crop of attacking player we have just now

I was born in 1990 so Ayr United have been absolute horse-shit for most of my life. This is THE team of my generation, definitely the Ayr team I have enjoyed watching the most. We should enjoy this as long as we can because we never know when it will turn to shit again. Who would have known when we played in the 2002 League Cup Final that, two-and-a-half years later, we would be watching players who weren't even good enough for the Juniors playing for Ayr?