The F1 Thread

die hard doonhamer

Just now, jimmy boo said:

It's become all too sanitised and PC for my liking. Nascar Xfinity race earlier had a driver punted off who then ripped off his bootlid and threw it at the driver he percieved had put him in the wall😄

Nas-fkn-car yee haw! 😂

I enjoy the NASCAR when I can, it's a completely different game to F1 but it's the true essence of daft cnuts racing cars. Which is more relatable and fun!

F1, Indy and other single seaters, and stock cars (nascar, Oz v8s, etc) all have their place in racing. I hate when F1 fans try and gatekeep

On 30/03/2024 at 11:26, Gianfranco said:

Adrian Newey already has a shit tonne of titles and I’d assume the same for money. 

It’ll be interesting to see what motivates him to move. Maybe the easiest people to work with.

He has an amazing record. 

His cars have won titles (driver, constructor or both) in 13 seasons. 

On 30/03/2024 at 08:44, The Moonster said:

Does anyone actually like any of the drivers? Reading this thread it's like everyone just wants failure for everyone :lol:

I like LeClerc, Gasly, Albon, Tsunoda and Piastri. Fairly neutral on most of the rest except for hating Norris (massively overrated) and Russell. 

On 30/03/2024 at 08:44, The Moonster said:

Does anyone actually like any of the drivers? Reading this thread it's like everyone just wants failure for everyone :lol:

Max Verstappen, Lewis Hamilton and Fernando Alonso are three of the greatest drivers who ever lived. However, all three are, in their own way, absolute arseholes. I think to succeed in F1 you really have to be

2 hours ago, Burattino Di Calzini said:

Max Verstappen, Lewis Hamilton and Fernando Alonso are three of the greatest drivers who ever lived. However, all three are, in their own way, absolute arseholes. I think to succeed in F1 you really have to be

As a Jim Clark fan I feel like I should start a debate here, but you are probably right. Obviously the "all time" tag is subjective, I'd probably say (puts on helmet) Schumacher was the best of all time but I know I'll be told I'm wrong!

I really liked Hamilton when he came in at McLaren, he was a wee arse hole but he was honest and I liked that about him. He's turned into a bot more concerned about making money through his preaching at Mercedes though. 

We all used to think Schumacher was a bit of a dick, but when you hear other drivers and staff he worked with, nothing is further from the truth

7 hours ago, Burattino Di Calzini said:

These people are rich and have been told they were the dugs baws since they were about 5 years old, I never really understand why people expect them to be really humble and grounded. 

On 01/04/2024 at 13:48, Spyro said:

As a Jim Clark fan I feel like I should start a debate here, but you are probably right. Obviously the "all time" tag is subjective, I'd probably say (puts on helmet) Schumacher was the best of all time but I know I'll be told I'm wrong!

I really liked Hamilton when he came in at McLaren, he was a wee arse hole but he was honest and I liked that about him. He's turned into a bot more concerned about making money through his preaching at Mercedes though. 

We all used to think Schumacher was a bit of a dick, but when you hear other drivers and staff he worked with, nothing is further from the truth

I caveat mine by saying I started watching F1 in the mid-90s. Schumacher is the best I have seen. Others, earlier, could be better (eg Clark). None comes close to his abilities. Spain 96 was unbelievable.

Everyone who worked with him speaks well of him. He built Ferrari around him by force of personality.

40 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

I caveat mine by saying I started watching F1 in the mid-90s. Schumacher is the best I have seen. Others, earlier, could be better (eg Clark). None comes close to his abilities. Spain 96 was unbelievable.

Everyone who worked with him speaks well of him. He built Ferrari around him by force of personality.

And underhand tactics.

2 minutes ago, jimmy boo said:

And underhand tactics.

Yep, there was that more than once. It has coloured people's views of him. Doesn't take away from how good he was.

Alonso brake-tested Coulthard and Russell 20 years apart, not a peep. Schumacher was less subtle. 

22 hours ago, scottsdad said:

Yep, there was that more than once. It has coloured people's views of him. Doesn't take away from how good he was.

Alonso brake-tested Coulthard and Russell 20 years apart, not a peep. Schumacher was less subtle. 

Let's not forget Schumacher settled two world titles (one in his favour, one not) by deliberately crashing into his opponent. Senna did the same in 1990. Senna, in particular, seems to get a free pass for that. They were great drivers for sure, but it leaves a nasty taste. 

13 minutes ago, Burattino Di Calzini said:

Let's not forget Schumacher settled two world titles (one in his favour, one not) by deliberately crashing into his opponent. Senna did the same in 1990. Senna, in particular, seems to get a free pass for that. They were great drivers for sure, but it leaves a nasty taste. 

Some genius shithousery as well. Winning in Britain in the pits in '98

Qualifying on pole in Monaco in 2006, then parking his car on track to stop Alonso beating him.

Getting marshalls to push him out of the gravel in 2003 instead of retiring.

I loved all of these. But also, on the flip side:

Lapped everybody in Brazil in 94

Second in Spain in 94 in a car that only had 5th gear

Winning from 16th in Belgium in 95

Reeling in a 25 second gap in 19 laps in Hungary in 98 to win. 

And so many more.

7 minutes ago, Spyro said:

I think what didn't help Schumacher was that Murray Walker hated him, so it probably got engrained in us too!

The whole "Red Baron" stuff was awful.

3 hours ago, Burattino Di Calzini said:

I think Senna gets a pass for 90 due to what happened in 89. Prost must have known he wasn't going to back out at turn 1 so surprised he committed to the corner with the inevitable happening. 

On 24/03/2024 at 09:56, Gianfranco said:

Alonso given a 20 second penalty and 3 penalty points on his license. I didn’t even know it was under investigation. Can see that being overturned on appeal. 

On 24/03/2024 at 11:24, Burattino Di Calzini said:

Seems odd, but the stewards are party to so much information the rest of us don't see. It didn't look like a deliberate brake test to me

On 24/03/2024 at 11:28, MP_MFC said:

Braking and accelerating erratically causing Russell to unexpectedly have to, eh, drive. 

No appeal. 

Get Out Ugh GIF

11 minutes ago, Mr. Brightside said:

Russell is fast becoming my most disliked driver. All he seems to do is whine about something, every week.

I sometimes think about what all the drivers would do if F1 didn’t exist, I remember reading that Magnussen was a welder at the start of his career when things weren’t going too well and Bottas studied engineering. Norris has an esports company/brand, I think LeClerc would still be in high school cause there’s nothing going on in his brain, Yuki would be a chef. Russell would 100 percent be the most insufferable “influencer” of all time, probably made famous by a Made in Chelsea type show and would be appearing on Big Brother etc telling us how great the Tories are. 

poor-logi-bear-v0-45fg7lxwsfsc1.jpg

At first I laughed, then I wondered what this chump was doing in F1. The obvious answer is "rich daddy" and wow - not half. Harry Sargeant III is worth about £3bn, selling fuel to the American military amongst other things. He's also a Trump supporter.

“Sargeant met with Trump at Mar-A-Lago and was involved in Ukraine business affairs with Lev Parnas and Igor Fruman, two Soviet born businessmen who worked with former New York City Mayor Rudy Giuliani on back channel efforts to tarnish former Vice President Joe Biden.”

So now I'll watch and laugh as this spoiled little rich kid is humiliated again and again.

11 hours ago, Hammerafc said:

I think Senna gets a pass for 90 due to what happened in 89. Prost must have known he wasn't going to back out at turn 1 so surprised he committed to the corner with the inevitable happening. 

Senna also (eventually) admitted he did it deliberately - I don't think Schumacher did. He wanted Villeneuve disqualified after Jerez in '97!

As incredible a driver as Senna was, there is a lot of cultish stuff that has grown up surrounding his myth and legend, like the constant bringing up of that quote about not going for a gap. The view people have of him would undoubtedly be different had he survived Imola, regardless of what he then managed to achieve.

2 hours ago, Newbornbairn said:

poor-logi-bear-v0-45fg7lxwsfsc1.jpg

At first I laughed, then I wondered what this chump was doing in F1. The obvious answer is "rich daddy" and wow - not half. Harry Sargeant III is worth about £3bn, selling fuel to the American military amongst other things. He's also a Trump supporter.

So now I'll watch and laugh as this spoiled little rich kid is humiliated again and again.

I guess I assumed he had some backing behind him but I assumed it was sponsors rather than family cash. Given they're from Florida it's not really a surprise they're Trumpsters.

It's a bit of a shame to see him struggling as I like Williams, had been hoping for a good US driver and he seemed to have done reasonably well on his way through the ranks. While it seems he's a bit useless, it doesn't help that he's at a struggling team and there's sod all testing these days.

After Melbourne, it would have been some laugh if he'd demanded Albon's car for the rest of this weekend after ruining his own and it had to be explained to him why that wasn't happening...