The F1 Thread

die hard doonhamer

5 hours ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

Danny Ricย should have been out of the sport by the time he left Renault. Absolutely remarkable what smiling a lot can get you in a notoriously ruthless and exacting sport.ย 

F1 has never been about who is the best driver to get on the grid. It is who has the most money.

I've seen other reports that Perez will be back because he brings $30m worth of sponsorship money with him to Red Bull. Essentially paying all his salary and a bit more.

And where there isn't huge money there are other conflicts. Like when Piastri went to McLaren he drew the ire of Toto Wolff. In any other sport it would be strange for another team to talk how other teams are run, but behind the scenes Wolff is also on the "management team" of many drivers and probably was trying to get the McLaren seat for one of his own guys.

Teams have their own driver programs and want to sign the next Verstappen or Hamilton and the way to do that is show loyalty to the guys you have. So you see a guy like Logan Sargeant get a seat despite never actually showing himself to be in the truly elite level.

ย 

ย 

38 minutes ago, Jim McLean's Ghost said:

F1 has never been about who is the best driver to get on the grid. It is who has the most money.

I've seen other reports that Perez will be back because he brings $30m worth of sponsorship money with him to Red Bull. Essentially paying all his salary and a bit more.

And where there isn't huge money there are other conflicts. Like when Piastri went to McLaren he drew the ire of Toto Wolff. In any other sport it would be strange for another team to talk how other teams are run, but behind the scenes Wolff is also on the "management team" of many drivers and probably was trying to get the McLaren seat for one of his own guys.

Teams have their own driver programs and want to sign the next Verstappen or Hamilton and the way to do that is show loyalty to the guys you have. So you see a guy like Logan Sargeant get a seat despite never actually showing himself to be in the truly elite level.

ย 

ย 

Perez brings Carlos Slims cash with himย 

On 25/03/2024 at 18:07, Jim McLean's Ghost said:

ย 
ย 

ย 

ย 

Perez and the sponsorship is valid. Telcel amongst others contribute significantly to offsetting his salary. That's before you get the exposure of the Mexican GP crowd etc.ย 

Perez is a decent number 2 driver, he brings sponsorship and won't rock the boat too much. He's nowhere near Verstappen's level, but very few are. Tsunoda or Ricciardo would definitely not be an improvement. As much as I'd love to see Alonso in a Red Bull, it ain't going to happen.ย 

I can't see past Alonso going to Mercedes next season. If it was anyone else involved in Russell's accident, he would have been claiming attempted murder but never really said a bad word about Alonso's 'maneuver'ย 

On 25/03/2024 at 12:15, Miguel Sanchez said:

Danny Ricย should have been out of the sport by the time he left Renault. Absolutely remarkable what smiling a lot can get you in a notoriously ruthless and exacting sport.ย 

On what basis? His two seasons at Renault were decent, and his second season in particular was very good. He should've been done after those two abject years at McLaren.

On 28/03/2024 at 00:13, Mr. Brightside said:

On what basis? His two seasons at Renault were decent, and his second season in particular was very good. He should've been done after those two abject years at McLaren.

He left a race winning team to take a massive contract at Renault. There was some mild improvement there (I thought he was there longer than two years tbf) but nothing to make anyone think he's developed into a top driver, especially not when Verstappen/Russell/Leclerc/Norris are all coming through and establishing themselves at the top of the grid. I stopped paying attention to F1 as much when he was winning races at Red Bull but he just seemed to have gone downhill when he moved with nothing suggesting he could lead a team.

Outside of his win (which was at a circuit where most people in this thread could probably get a result at) he was very comfortably worse than Norris at McLaren and was notably worse than the driver he replaced, which to me just confirmed the downward trajectory.ย 

9 minutes ago, Stu said:

Aston Martin trying to sign Newey. Good luck with that - unless it's to replace Stroll.

Surely if he goes anywhere itโ€™s to Ferrari, the only reason for Aston would be money but Red Bull and Ferrari can give him a blank cheque as well.ย 

7 hours ago, V.Aye.R said:

Wouldn't it be very funny where Alonso is driving an absolute rocketship to the title and Stroll is battling to stay in the points.ย ย 

It'll be even funnier when Newey designs a car so good even Stroll can win it just as Alonso has fucked off to Mercedes for yet another season of trying to convince the world his latest seventh place was the greatest drive in history.

2 hours ago, The Moonster said:

Does anyone actually like any of the drivers? Reading this thread it's like everyone just wants failure for everyone :lol:

ย 

ย 

I quite like most of the ones who don't win every race now or in the recent past. Which is why I generally prefer Indycar and Nascar for the relative variety of winners.ย 

Adrian Newey already has a shit tonne of titles and Iโ€™d assume the same for money.ย 
ย 

Itโ€™ll be interesting to see what motivates him to move. Maybe the easiest people to work with.

11 hours ago, The Moonster said:

Does anyone actually like any of the drivers? Reading this thread it's like everyone just wants failure for everyone :lol:

ย 

ย 

Very few are particularly likeable tbf

11 hours ago, The Moonster said:

ย 

ย 

I've always liked Alonso, seems honest rather than the overtrained in PR robots most of them are. His honesty is sometimes only perceptible through a disguised wink though tbf.

1 hour ago, welshbairn said:

I've always liked Alonso, seems honest rather than the overtrained in PR robots most of them are. His honesty is sometimes only perceptible through a disguised wink though tbf.

It's become all too sanitised and PC for my liking. Nascar Xfinity race earlier had a driver punted off who then ripped off his bootlid and threw it at the driver he percieved had put him in the wall๐Ÿ˜„