What are the things you hate regarding fitba?

10 hours ago, DG.Roma said:

On a similar theme - when managers or pundits talk about teams playing 3 games in a week when they play Tuesday, Saturday, Tuesday. No mate, there's only one Tuesday in a week, that's 3 games in 8 days.

If the trend continues for a few weeks, they'll say it's been 3 games a week all month, when they've actually only played 8 games in 4 weeks, not 12.

Champions league teams dropping into the europa league knockouts (which they just shouldn’t be aloud to. Once you are out a competition, you are out. You don’t want to be out, don’t be shite) Then the pundits talking about how it is much more of a struggle to play Thursday/Sunday instead of Wednesday/Saturday (sometimes Sunday)

On 30/09/2023 at 23:05, Autistisches Nilpferd said:

"Doncaster haven't won at Barrow since January 1972" sounds like a major hoodoo until you do two minutes of research and discover that Doncaster have played at Barrow twice since then. Technically correct but arsehole behaviour trying to get stats from it.

"Brentford looking for their first win at Old Trafford since 1937." Today was Brentford's 6th game since 1937...

It's hard for me to articulate this without sounding Brexity, but I don't like teams signing foreign players for their academies as I think it sort of defeats the purpose of a youth system. Same with counting folk who have been in your academy for about a year as academy players. 

I think there are a lot of good things about how globalised football's become, but I also think that makes it even more important that you have young, relatively local players coming through on a somewhat regular basis, especially when you're like Celtic or Rangers and don't really represent anything about the country your club's based in. Even a quarter of the way through a good season with Accies, it's been annoying that that academy players are getting knocked further and further down the pecking order in favour of run-of-the-mill Scottish lower league footballers. 

I'm not sure if this one has been mentioned yet but anything related to NFTs/Fan Tokens and I just saw this article today.

Clubs promoting NFTs pose 'risk' to fans, MPs warn

The whole thing just makes me feel uneasy.  The way clubs try and sell the idea to fans, the way those companies with their army of Twitter bots hyping things up and the fact that these sorts of things absolutely plummet in value as soon as they hit the market.

Just look at the failed attempts by Hibs and Rangers and that utterly detestable company Sportemon Go (just the name alone annoys me for how shite it is).

Its sold as "fan engagement" but there are more efficient and morally acceptable ways to do so then these sorts of schemes.

St Mirren are having a great season so far, but my enjoyment of it is actually being spoiled by the biggest problem currently affecting football throughout the UK - I just can’t get a Mary Earps goalkeeper jersey anywhere.

Edited by pozbaird

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

This is the epitome of sour grapes after yesterday at Pittodrie, and is most likely an unpopular opinion, but the amount of penalty kicks in football is beginning to get on my wick.

The last time I checked I think around 78% penalties were scored, so it is an extremely good scoring opportunity - and also carries the potential to have a significant impact on the outcome of a game. That percentage has probably gone even higher since the introduction of VAR, with more scrutiny applied to the goalkeeper's position when the penalty is struck, and the number of retakes will have increased. 

I am just not convinced that it is ideal for incidents like, for example, shirt pulls where an attacking player has no realistic chance of making contact with the ball anyway, to be punished (or rewarded) with such a clear opportunity to score a goal.  This has, of course, again been exacerbated by VAR, as we are seeing lots more 'technically correct' penalty kicks being awarded on review.

I don't know what the alternative is, in all honesty. I know my team will sometimes benefit from it, and sometimes lose out because of it. I also know that I don't like it, though.

54 minutes ago, DrewDon said:

This is the epitome of sour grapes after yesterday at Pittodrie, and is most likely an unpopular opinion, but the amount of penalty kicks in football is beginning to get on my wick.

The last time I checked I think around 78% penalties were scored, so it is an extremely good scoring opportunity - and also carries the potential to have a significant impact on the outcome of a game. That percentage has probably gone even higher since the introduction of VAR, with more scrutiny applied to the goalkeeper's position when the penalty is struck, and the number of retakes will have increased. 

I am just not convinced that it is ideal for incidents like, for example, shirt pulls where an attacking player has no realistic chance of making contact with the ball anyway, to be punished (or rewarded) with such a clear opportunity to score a goal.  This has, of course, again been exacerbated by VAR, as we are seeing lots more 'technically correct' penalty kicks being awarded on review.

I don't know what the alternative is, in all honesty. I know my team will sometimes benefit from it, and sometimes lose out because of it. I also know that I don't like it, though.

Exactly. 

I watched appalled as Turkey were given a penalty against Wales for a nudge where the attacker was getting nowhere near the ball. Fouls should be given if a player is being impeded or if an advantage is being gained. If it's a nudge off the ball then a talking to is all that's required. It's now a case of rules for the sake of having rules and the game no longer gets any chance to breathe. 

I maintain that the Man Utd game against Copenhagen was absolute shite. The breathless puddle-drinkers who populate social media will slaver all over the score line, but having two penalties for nowt creates manipulated drama and gives it all the authenticity of WWE.

Going back to your point, having penalties for handball now feels cheap. It used to be that you celebrated a penalty being given, but when given for a ball being blootered off of an arm it feels off.

I had a bit of unease writing the WWE comparison, but that's what football at the top level feels like now. Anything for clicks and likes. Peter Drury becoming a parody of himself, shrieking simpletons like Micah Richards as pundits and the manufactured "drama" of facile sendings off and penalty awards means that I wouldn't be surprised if players started to enter the field to their own personal entrance music.

'Mon the diddies.

4 hours ago, DrewDon said:

I've been coming round to this point of view for a while now especially in the VAR age, which I hate myself for as it's very much a viewpoint of "guy on twitter who supports the USMNT" and doesn't just talk about xG but also field tilt. 

But yeah, feels like penalties are too harsh a punishment for the majority of fouls inside the box. Obviously rugby tackling someone about to tap into an open goal is still deserving of a penalty. 

There was one last year in a championship game, Raith were at home to (I think) Ayr and a guy was running towards the corner flag near the goal line and got tripped just inside the box, the chances of them scoring from the original position where the foul took place must have been tiny. 

I don't know how you would fix it though, allow direct free kicks in the box if it's not been a clear goalscoring opportunity (eg handball blocking a cross)?  Is it the severity of the tackle or the position of the foul inside the box? 

Edited by Fuctifano

im sorry,are defenders unaware of the consequences of fouling in the box?they chance it,theyre sometimes caught,live with it.what id like to see is a bit of consistency from refs,though;i never watched the whole game yesterday,just the highlights ,but id be very surprised if there wasnt shirt pulling going on the whole game at corners and set pieces,if thats the case then its a bit off for the ref to say 94mins in,"think ill punish this now"

the new stupid handball rules?thats a different matter

4 hours ago, velo army said:

Exactly. 

I watched appalled as Turkey were given a penalty against Wales for a nudge where the attacker was getting nowhere near the ball. Fouls should be given if a player is being impeded or if an advantage is being gained. If it's a nudge off the ball then a talking to is all that's required. It's now a case of rules for the sake of having rules and the game no longer gets any chance to breathe. 

I maintain that the Man Utd game against Copenhagen was absolute shite. The breathless puddle-drinkers who populate social media will slaver all over the score line, but having two penalties for nowt creates manipulated drama and gives it all the authenticity of WWE.

Going back to your point, having penalties for handball now feels cheap. It used to be that you celebrated a penalty being given, but when given for a ball being blootered off of an arm it feels off.

I had a bit of unease writing the WWE comparison, but that's what football at the top level feels like now. Anything for clicks and likes. Peter Drury becoming a parody of himself, shrieking simpletons like Micah Richards as pundits and the manufactured "drama" of facile sendings off and penalty awards means that I wouldn't be surprised if players started to enter the field to their own personal entrance music.

'Mon the diddies.

I also watched on appalled that it was a foul. My wife would testify to that. Thought it was a terrible decision.

I then enjoyed the outcome of Turkey scoring because I'm petty.

I sometimes think that it's part of the drama of football that an inconsequential infringement in the box can lead to such a high chance of a goal, but @velo army is right that it's somewhat devalued drama, especially now that VAR's involved. Getting a penalty in the heat of the moment is a brilliant feeling, however when you see the Stockley Park Marks scouring footage for an unnoticed handball in order to present an ~80% chance of a goal, it just feels a bit shit. 

Penalties should only be awarded for denying goal scoring opportunities.  As in, not Goldson's one on Sunday, or the one Man United for a few weeks ago. I can't remember who it was but he was pulled down in the box but was about 6 miles from the ball and it got cleared anyway.