Scottish Infrastructure

jamamafegan

Now that we've moved to Haddington I suddenly feel very strongly about Haddington having a train station again especially after seeing Leven and Cameron Bridge get one.

Hopefully the Fraserburgh / Peterhead line can be reopened. Looks a pretty good project and would surely decrease car journeys on the A90 quite significantly.

Edited by RiG

i see stagecoach are binning a load of its services in he NE.lower demand being cited by these charlatans but,of course, a lot of that will be due to folk not bothering with buses anymore due to services getting crapper and crapper,talk about a situation that causes itself.

if theyre serious about getting people out of cars they need to get stagecoach to f**k

1 hour ago, RiG said:

Now that we've moved to Haddington I suddenly feel very strongly about Haddington having a train station again especially after seeing Leven and Cameron Bridge get one.

I think that they looked into this a wee while ago but there wasn't enough capacity on the East Coast Mainline to accomodate any more trains.

1 hour ago, highlandmac said:

i see stagecoach are binning a load of its services in he NE.lower demand being cited by these charlatans but,of course, a lot of that will be due to folk not bothering with buses anymore due to services getting crapper and crapper,talk about a situation that causes itself.

if theyre serious about getting people out of cars they need to get stagecoach to f**k

I live just outside Dunfermline so Stagecoach is the local bus company. Our car was in a garage in Stirling for a service, so rather than having the wife come pick me up when I dropped it off, I looked at getting the bus back. To go from Stirling to Dunfermline with Stagecoach you have to go via Crieff and Perth a journey time of 4 hours. It is a lot quicker to go via Falkirk, but that's then using different bus companies which increases the ticket cost.

1 hour ago, RiffRaff said:

I think that they looked into this a wee while ago but there wasn't enough capacity on the East Coast Mainline to accomodate any more trains.

Yeah I was quite surprised that, most of the time, the trains to / from North Berwick were only one every hour. I guess that's because of the capacity issues you mention.

10 hours ago, RiG said:

Hopefully the Fraserburgh / Peterhead line can be reopened. Looks a pretty good project and would surely decrease car journeys on the A90 quite significantly.

Although I doubt I'll see it in my lifetime, if they do decide to reinstate a line it hopefully won't be with the latest proposal.  When this group initially looked at this there were, I think, 4 proposals and and I remember this king at the time that this was the worst of those options.  Missing out most of the areas with poor public transport and making people going to Fraserburgh go via Peterhead.  

Makes more sense to split off at Mintlaw or Maud.

11 hours ago, RiG said:

old line has been built on and the locals have been very anti railway in the past 

1 hour ago, strichener said:

Although I doubt I'll see it in my lifetime, if they do decide to reinstate a line it hopefully won't be with the latest proposal.  When this group initially looked at this there were, I think, 4 proposals and and I remember this king at the time that this was the worst of those options.  Missing out most of the areas with poor public transport and making people going to Fraserburgh go via Peterhead.  

Makes more sense to split off at Mintlaw or Maud.

18 minutes ago, ajwffc said:

old line has been built on and the locals have been very anti railway in the past 

Ah that's a shame. Would be good to see something good come forward especially after the success of the Borders railway project (at least in terms of passenger numbers).

1 hour ago, ajwffc said:

Only the last bit past the hospital (400m) which is industrial units, the rest is cycle path, though the A1 tunnel would need realigned and there's housing which could only be accessed via a level crossing unless another entrance is added.

Edited by Ginaro

I commute to Aberdeen a couple of times a week, and the A90 at the Brechin bypass is an abomination of a stretch of road. 

It was closed in each direction a few months ago for "repairs" but it's been left in a worse condition. The patchwork is so bad it can be seen from space on Google.

Seemingly it was built using concrete rather than tarmac, and it would cost millions to fully replace. But surely a one-off investment is better than the constant "repair" jobs every other year. 

https://www.scotsman.com/heritage-and-retro/heritage/historic-hotel-demolished-by-council-as-row-heads-to-scottish-parliament-4664736

Erm yes, let's block key transport infrastructure indefinitely - lines that are still not fully reopened yet - because the building looks nice and should be preserved. 🤡

2 hours ago, virginton said:

https://www.scotsman.com/heritage-and-retro/heritage/historic-hotel-demolished-by-council-as-row-heads-to-scottish-parliament-4664736

Erm yes, let's block key transport infrastructure indefinitely - lines that are still not fully reopened yet - because the building looks nice and should be preserved. 🤡

Didn't even look nice. It'd been lying empty and rotten inside for years, with bits falling onto the railway side a decade ago.

If the owner won't pay for any upkeep, and it's been torched since, tough shit.

On 14/06/2024 at 10:29, RiG said:

It’s a non-starter for a couple of reasons unfortunately, capacity on the main line is one, demolishing and rebuilding a section of the A1 another. Limited political will for it too, according to Iain Gray when somebody I know spoke to him about it.

Edited by Enigma

On 14/06/2024 at 09:29, RiG said:

Bit of a detour to run it through Haddington though

On 14/06/2024 at 22:45, Ginaro said:

Only the last bit past the hospital (400m) which is industrial units, the rest is cycle path, though the A1 tunnel would need realigned and there's housing which could only be accessed via a level crossing unless another entrance is added.

A level crossing would stop it. As Network Rail under guidelines from the ORR will not build a new one 

On 15/06/2024 at 07:49, virginton said:

Aye, not far off a year at this point of no direct rail services into Ayr. Its been a total ball-ache for the many commuters that rely on it and local businesses have suffered - but lets protect a building that no one gave a shit about until it went up in flames and collapsed.

I can understand folk wanting to preserve nice old things, but not if its been sat in that state for decades and is actively getting in the way of the town operating properly. Glad they just pulled it down.

Should be services soon to Ayr and Stranraer. As Network Rail have been able to reopen the line and just waiting for ScotRail to run route rerefressing runs. 

On 15/06/2024 at 11:51, Enigma said:

It’s a non-starter for a couple of reasons unfortunately, capacity on the main line is one, demolishing and rebuilding a section of the A1 another. Limited political will for it too, according to Iain Gray when somebody I know spoke to him about it.

Yeah the capacity on the ECML is the big one. A recent study talked about building a station on the north side of the A1 from Haddington rather than trying to bring it into the town and / or remodel the A1 as that would be far easier and cheaper.

On 15/06/2024 at 12:05, Mark Connolly said:

Bit of a detour to run it through Haddington though

badumtish.gif