Scottish Infrastructure

jamamafegan

On ‎07‎/‎10‎/‎2020 at 18:29, Academically Deficient said:

That was idea behind Glasgow Crossrail, trains from Ayrshire to Edinburgh without changing. Most of the infrastructure is already there. Main difference is, instead of St Enoch you'd call or get off here...

20201007_182658.jpg

Big Issue, Jimmy?

While it obviously doesn't present anything like the logistical challenges Arrochar does, the roads in Greenock are themselves completely unsuitable for the amount of traffic you'd get coming from the M8 if you had eg a bridge connecting to Cowal then another from Cowal to join the A83 near Lochgilphead.
The A78 can already move slowly enough when it's only local traffic for Inverkip, Wemyss Bay (with Bute traffic heading there as well) and North Ayrshire. If you were adding all the traffic that currently crosses the Clyde via the tunnel or Erskine Bridge to head round to the Rest and Be Thankful, then factoring in the inevitable tailbacks on the A8 as well it would take almost as long to get 5 miles through Greenock as it does to get from the Erskine Bridge to the Rest.
The parts of the road that would cause a problem are all in residential areas as well, so it's not like there's an easy solution in dualling the sections that aren't already, without bulldozing houses and whacking a 60mph road where people still need to cross the street.
This is all before considering the issue of the road through Cowal itself. Quite keen on the idea of one continuous bridge from Greenock to Lochgilphead just for the craic of the logistics.
I'd be happy if they could go with any solution that avoids the A82 down the side of Loch Lomond. The queues heading south on a decent day at the weekend are horrific but seem to be getting worse- I even got held up for about 20minutes last Thursday evening.

• 1 month later...

Did we discuss this? I don’t think we did.

New railways station opens at Kintore (about a month ago.) Great for them and surrounding settlements.

https://www.railwaygazette.com/uk/kintore-station-opens/57583.article

There’s loads of small villages that should be served by railways across Scotland. Local ones for me that come to mind are Bridge of Earn, Abernethy and Newburgh. I also think the Perth to Edinburgh direct line should be reinstated as well, which would shorten the current journey just shy of 40 minutes.

Here’s a list of old railways in Scotland. One of the ones that sticks out for me is the Fife Coast Railway. Imagine how brilliant it would be to tour the Fife Coast by rail, taking in places like St. Andrews, Crail, Anstruther and Elie?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Closed_railway_lines_in_Scotland

After visiting the tremendous Tay exhibition at Dundees best museum today (McManus, hopefully global warming takes the V&A) I am pleased to present a brilliant video of how the Tay road bridge was built.

https://movingimage.nls.uk/film/2243?search_term=Tay bridge&search_join_type=AND&search_fuzzy=yes

• 2 weeks later...
On 22/11/2020 at 19:21, jamamafegan said:

Here’s a list of old railways in Scotland. One of the ones that sticks out for me is the Fife Coast Railway. Imagine how brilliant it would be to tour the Fife Coast by rail, taking in places like St. Andrews, Crail, Anstruther and Elie?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Closed_railway_lines_in_Scotland

Not brilliant at all because you're still in a complete fucking bin like Fife.

This on the other hand ties up a pointless loose end in the existing network and has real tourist/economic value as well. Run the existing line to Portpatrick instead of Stranraer (which will lose all purpose once their team inevitably drops out the league) and then have Glenluce (for the Mull of Galloway), Newton Stewart, Gatehouse, New Galloway and Castle Douglas as stations. Then revive the Castle Douglas to Dumfries railway via Dalbeattie to connect through to Carlisle.

The south coast of Scotland currently requires multiple bus journeys on a shan road to get to/from civilisation. This would improve access enormously.

14 minutes ago, virginton said:

Not brilliant at all because you're still in a complete fucking bin like Fife.

This on the other hand ties up a pointless loose end in the existing network and has real tourist/economic value as well. Run the existing line to Portpatrick instead of Stranraer (which will lose all purpose once their team inevitably drops out the league) and then have Glenluce (for the Mull of Galloway), Newton Stewart, Gatehouse, New Galloway and Castle Douglas as stations. Then revive the Castle Douglas to Dumfries railway via Dalbeattie to connect through to Carlisle.

The south coast of Scotland currently requires multiple bus journeys on a shan road to get to/from civilisation. This would improve access enormously.

There are at least 5 good reasons this cannot be done.

55 minutes ago, peasy23 said:

As much as I think Boris's talk about bridges or tunnels linking Scotland and Northern Ireland is complete bullshit, the Faroese have just finished building a roundabout under the Atlantic.

Who knew there was so much money in whale meat?

3 hours ago, peasy23 said:

As much as I think Boris's talk about bridges or tunnels linking Scotland and Northern Ireland is complete bullshit, the Faroese have just finished building a roundabout under the Atlantic.

Say what you like about Boris (most folk do) but it’s good to have a vision. That’s why I preferred Salmond. The tunnel to Northern Ireland is a great idea. Just need to make it happen.

2 hours ago, welshbairn said:

Elsewhere on her twitter feed, encouragement perhaps for all North Atlantic brothers.

Damn these uppity small countries with their ludicrous ideas of independence and jailing bankers when they f*ck up the economy instead of bailing them out with taxpayers money :rolleyes:

5 hours ago, peasy23 said:

If the Faroese can put one roundabout under the Atlantic then surely we are capable of going one better and getting East Kilbride in the sea.

14 hours ago, peasy23 said:

If that was in Falkirk, there'd be traffic lights on it.

If it was in Dundee, there'd be adverts on it.

If it was  Airdrie, there'd be a boy racer's 10 year old Corsa buried in the middle. 

On 13/09/2020 at 14:43, DA Baracus said:

There's been quite a few new trains put in service over the past couple of years. In Dundee there's quite a few new buses from Xplore. All electric that cut the engine off when it stops and free Wifi.

There's a train link to Aberdeen airport. Edinburgh airport has the trams, and there's a tram stop directly outside Haymarket.

Agree that things should be much better, but I don't think it's as bad as you claim.

Link ususally means joining two things.  The railway does not link the Airport to Aberdeen unless you are including the 50+ minute walk that you also have to take.

On 03/12/2020 at 18:38, peasy23 said:

On the Icelandic Pylsa & Bovril forum, there's a 10 page thread on what lane you should be in to go straight on.