Heads Gone - The Peppino Impastato Memorial Thread

11 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Lowlife behaviour turning off notifications because you get upset by red dots, but still doling them out. The latter shouldn't be possible imo.

Yeah that's fair mate. If you have the notifications turned off then you can give it out, but don't have to take it basically. I'm happy with that though, everyone has to find things that work for them and I'm probably doing the rest of the forum a favour by not getting in a back and forth over red dots.

Edited by 2426255

40 minutes ago, tamthebam said:

This picture by Yayoi Kusama sold for half a million dollars recently. 

reddots.jpg.38965b539b2e1be7195895ceaa0c933c.jpg.adee9e159652c03627d4a4e2794e478a.jpg

Red dots. Serious business. 

I can't see anything mate. 😌

10 hours ago, 2426255 said:

I've said my piece on this and I'll move on. Good luck mate.

I Dont Believe You Will Ferrell GIF

8 hours ago, 2426255 said:

Yeah that's fair mate. If you have the notifications turned off then you can give it out, but don't have to take it basically. I'm happy with that though, everyone has to find things that work for them and I'm probably doing the rest of the forum a favour by not getting in a back and forth over red dots.

7 hours ago, 2426255 said:

I can't see anything mate. 😌

Oh No GIF by The Maury Show

2 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

I'd no idea Marshmallo had that kind of money.

Fair play to the lad.

The reaction to Marshmallo even to this day is actually an excellent example of the red dot phenomenon and it how it can impact on posters.

Edited by 2426255

24 minutes ago, 2426255 said:

The reaction to Marshmallo even to this day is actually an excellent example of the red dot phenomenon and it how it can impact on posters.

Tbf, going around red dotting every post possible is just as tragic as getting upset by them. 

28 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

Tbf, going around red dotting every post possible is just as tragic as getting upset by them. 

Yeah, it's an odd phenomenon. I've been caught up in it myself - both sides if I'm being totally honest. 😅

3 hours ago, 2426255 said:

Aye, doctoral theses have been written on the subject of positive and negative reinforcement on social media, and suffice it to say that the subject is not black and white. (Or in this case, green and red.) One common effect of persistent downvoting, intended or otherwise, is to shut down dissension/debate. When that happens, the technical term for it is “a c**t’s trick”.

20 hours ago, MazzyStar said:

It is okay to wind up tailgaters. 

2 hours ago, Big Bobo said:

Seriously? 

Great now you've done it, he's going to have a cranial detachment in this thread as well

13 minutes ago, Doctor Manhattan said:

Aye, doctoral theses have been written on the subject of positive and negative reinforcement on social media, and suffice it to say that the subject is not black and white. (Or in this case, green and red.) One common effect of persistent downvoting, intended or otherwise, is to shut down dissension/debate. When that happens, the technical term for it is “a c**t’s trick”.

That's interesting. I'd like to understand more about people taking downvoting as a personal attack, it seems to cause a hell of a lot of consternation before or after the old "doesn't really bother me, but this c**t's been red dotting me...." 😅

Slightly different, but related is that I've also notice the 'Karma farming' phenomenon where on twitter or reddit and probably on here something will be posted purely boost positive reputation which is also ridiculous. The whole attachment to online reputation is a phenomenon imo. 

Edited by 2426255

58 minutes ago, 2426255 said:

That's interesting. I'd like to understand more about people taking downvoting as a personal attack, it seems to cause a hell of a lot of consternation before or after the old "doesn't really bother me, but this c**t's been red dotting me...." 😅

Slightly different, but related is that I've also notice the 'Karma farming' phenomenon where on twitter or reddit and probably on here something will be posted purely boost positive reputation which is also ridiculous. The whole attachment to online reputation is a phenomenon imo. 

Reddit is actually a great source for these sorts of discussions, and has several sub-reddits dedicated to exactly that.

Here are a couple of examples which have the sole advantage of being freely available online; I doubt you’ll learn anything particularly new from either. The first dates back ten years and is less than scientific, while the second is a little more “scholarly” but draws few actual conclusions.

How The “Down-Vote” Leads To A Vicious Circle Of Negative Feedback

The Sociomateriality of Rating and Ranking Devices on Social Media

Perhaps the most interesting observation in the first one is that “authors that receive no feedback (my italics) are more likely to leave the community entirely”. So, red dots do have their benefits 😉

2 hours ago, Doctor Manhattan said:

;Perhaps the most interesting observation in the first one is that “authors that receive no feedback (my italics) are more likely to leave the community entirely”. So, red dots do have their benefits 😉

That'll be the beige dots 😉

9 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

Much moreso I'd have said.

I've never really got the need, so evident on here, for everyone to insist they can't possibly be bothered by anything anyone else says or does.

19 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Much moreso I'd have said.

I've never really got the need, so evident on here, for everyone to insist they can't possibly be bothered by anything anyone else says or does.

The internet is a massive game of proving you're a completely unruffled psychopath, although I'm not sure what the prize is.