Favourite toys growing up.

13 minutes ago, johnnydun said:

images.jpeg.jpg.24b021530f2330e6bb22aed372e88932.jpg

Haha, great game. Not ashamed to say that as a young(ish) kid (ok, about 12 or 13) I absolutely shat myself as he got progressively creepier. Didn't help that we turned the lights out and played it at night.

34 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

Haha, great game. Not ashamed to say that as a young(ish) kid (ok, about 12 or 13) I absolutely shat myself as he got progressively creepier. Didn't help that we turned the lights out and played it at night.

It really was a great horror concept for kids.

Who had these then? I think my parents instantly regretted buying me the He-man one as the sounds it made must have drove them to distraction, plus me belting out “I HAVE THE POWER” every 5 minutes. Think they were secretly ecstatic when an older boy in my street flung it in the near by field and it was never seen again. 😫😂

6DB90AFF-9056-4F39-9735-02F9B3EC2BCF.jpeg

542C7998-D03D-4B27-B9ED-0888F72562A6.jpeg

30 minutes ago, Wardy said:

Who had these then? I think my parents instantly regretted buying me the He-man one as the sounds it made must have drove them to distraction, plus me belting out “I HAVE THE POWER” every 5 minutes. Think they were secretly ecstatic when an older boy in my street flung it in the near by field and it was never seen again. 😫😂

6DB90AFF-9056-4F39-9735-02F9B3EC2BCF.jpeg

542C7998-D03D-4B27-B9ED-0888F72562A6.jpeg

Yes and shouting 'HOOOOOO!' with the other one.

On 26/05/2021 at 10:13, Florentine_Pogen said:

Spit Nolan by Bill Naughton (excerpt)

"Our trolleys were simple vehicles for getting a good ride downhill at fast speed. To make one you had to get a good piece of stout wood about five feet in length and eighteen inches wide. Then you needed four wheels, preferably two pairs, large ones for the back and smaller ones for the front. However, since we bought ours from the scrapyard, most trolleys had four odd wheels. Now you had to get a poker and put it in the fire until it was red hot and then burn a hole through the wood at the front. Through this hole you fitted the giant nut and bolt, which acted as a swivel for the steering. Fastened to the nut was a strip of wood onto which the front axle was fixed with bent nails. A piece of rope tied to each end of the axle served as steering. Then a knob of margarine had to be slanced out of the kitchen to grease the wheels and bearings. Next, you had to paint a name on it: 'Invincible'  or 'Dreadnought', though it might be a motto: 'Rangers Died In 2012' .

That done, you then stuck your chest out, opened the back gate, and wheeled your trolley out to face the critical eye of the world." 

I was thinking of precisely that story when I read Newborn Bairn's post.

It even refers to someone, in Leslie Duckett, having a magnificent one made for him via his dad, provoking disapproval.

I wonder if Newborn Bairn was the lispy boy who gave Spit a flower, plucked from the cemetery.

When I was very young my uncle was in the Merchant Navy and used to bring me back these battery operated toys from places like Hong Kong. I had a big railway locomotive with a whistle that drove my parents crazy, and a flying saucer much like this one. No idea what happened to them but the saucer is currently going for £125 on eBay...

Flying saucer toy.jpg

Can I just say I've never read whatever it is you're quoting from, but it's pretty much describing what was a common experience. 
https://billnaughtonbolton.org/index.php/academic/on-your-marx-spit-nolan
There's also a pdf file of the complete Spit Nolan story on Google search. Won't let me copy link. D'oh !
(It's only 6 pages long.)
I came across the story in 2nd year English. In fact, I have a copy of the book we were reading from, (First Choice-Pleasure In Reading-Longman Press) stamped with the imprimatur "Edinburgh Corporation - Liberton Secondary School'. I quoted from this in my original reply to NBB.
Obviously, I have this book on... err.... long term loan.

2 hours ago, Florentine_Pogen said:

https://billnaughtonbolton.org/index.php/academic/on-your-marx-spit-nolan
There's also a pdf file of the complete Spit Nolan story on Google search. Won't let me copy link. D'oh !
(It's only 6 pages long.)
I came across the story in 2nd year English. In fact, I have a copy of the book we were reading from, (First Choice-Pleasure In Reading-Longman Press) stamped with the imprimatur "Edinburgh Corporation - Liberton Secondary School'. I quoted from this in my original reply to NBB.
Obviously, I have this book on... err.... long term loan.

It's also in  a Bill Naughton collection called The Goakeeper's Revenge, which still knocks about in schools despite its age.

I've tried searching for this before, but does anyone remember a kid's book about a Zairean footballer who dies and somehow comes back as a ghost at the World Cup?

I really don't remember what else happened, and I'm curious if they won the tournament, or if Zaire received any sanctions for fielding an ineligible player.

Who had these then? I think my parents instantly regretted buying me the He-man one as the sounds it made must have drove them to distraction, plus me belting out “I HAVE THE POWER” every 5 minutes. Think they were secretly ecstatic when an older boy in my street flung it in the near by field and it was never seen again. [emoji31][emoji23]
6DB90AFF-9056-4F39-9735-02F9B3EC2BCF.jpeg.ffc1d0fe0ed8bad8a794f83ee35355e3.jpeg
542C7998-D03D-4B27-B9ED-0888F72562A6.jpeg.d72c5835d1dca86e5204abaf8ab841e7.jpeg
We had them. The He:Man one was broken, so when my brother said "I have the power", it used to flop down.

18 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

It's also in  a Bill Naughton collection called The Goakeeper's Revenge, which still knocks about in schools despite its age.

Tbf Shakespeare is still knocking about schools and that stuff is 400 years old.

5 minutes ago, Brummie Clyde said:
On 29/05/2021 at 23:33, Wardy said:
Who had these then? I think my parents instantly regretted buying me the He-man one as the sounds it made must have drove them to distraction, plus me belting out “I HAVE THE POWER” every 5 minutes. Think they were secretly ecstatic when an older boy in my street flung it in the near by field and it was never seen again. emoji31.pngemoji23.png
6DB90AFF-9056-4F39-9735-02F9B3EC2BCF.jpeg.ffc1d0fe0ed8bad8a794f83ee35355e3.jpeg
542C7998-D03D-4B27-B9ED-0888F72562A6.jpeg.d72c5835d1dca86e5204abaf8ab841e7.jpeg

We had them. The He:Man one was broken, so when my brother said "I have the power", it used to flop down.

Spoiler

image.jpeg.eeea858325e9bdc18f3a663949707839.jpeg