Normal Island

6 minutes ago, BFTD said:

Some of my ex-wife's cousins had a wall of jerky in their bathroom when they were at college.

Apparently it was like a Jackson Pollock when you brought in a blacklight.

Ah to be young again.

1 hour ago, BFTD said:

Some of my ex-wife's cousins had a wall of jerky in their bathroom when they were at college.

Apparently it was like a Jackson Pollock when you brought in a blacklight.

Uh huh.

3 minutes ago, velo army said:

Uh huh.

Oh please. P&B is the first to know about my horrifying adventures.

The computer company director, hoping to unseat Tory MP Andrew Bowie, called for meat-eaters to “eat other humans” and said humanity should be “obliterated”, according to the Mail on Sunday.

Clearly a big Cattle Decapitation fan.

I love how the picture used for this article is of David Attenborough as an example of a human being that the loon wanted to be obliterated  :lol:

1 minute ago, GNU_Linux said:

image.png.15d568f1790d2f4b649264e8bf436255.png

The Reform Rabble are hardly the Brains Trust.

Firstly, Fields Medal recipient Laurence Fox fails to apply in time as a Mayoral Candidate in London because of "difficulty in comprehending the forms".

Now their head honcho can't discriminate being a live human and a corpse due to 'ignorance'.

Some will vote for these c*nts.

3 hours ago, SH Panda said:

Due to US legislation my company is now required to publish US salary ranges on its internal job platform.

Which confirmed what all of us kind of knew, for the exact same job UK Vs US our salary would at the very least double, and could well triple. Bonus percentages are also significantly higher and medical health insurance fully covered.

The downside is the reduced annual leave but they also seem to treat their staff better in terms of flexible WFH policies (and they do a 9 day fortnight).

The economist published an article recently saying the UK is now closer to Slovenia than it is Denmark (never mind the great chasm to the US).

My work do a lot of outsourcing to Poland which they are rolling back because the salary differential is so low it is no longer worth it.

If you are young and can get out of the UK you probably should - I haven't lived there since 2016 and no intention of going back!

Of course,being a car wash,there's always the possibility that money laundering is going on...

On 04/04/2024 at 10:18, ICTChris said:

A few months ago, this advert got a lot of attention. It’s for staff at a car wash in Texas.

9088E190-6A99-42A1-B3E7-C0B6A6CEE1BB.thumb.webp.dc5b29de3013fc2b6c2ca3cd59d42fe8.webp

An assistant general manager of a car wash paid about the same as an NHS consultant. I mean, I’m sure those salaries might not be typical for working in a car wash in the US but damn.

I think a manager at In-n-out burger also gets a six figure salary too. There are jobbing police officers in New York state making more than a very high ranking police officer here makes (circa £110k for a cop in New York and circa £85k for a Chief Superintendent/110k for assistant chief constable). Doctors make about 3/4 times the money too. 

On 04/04/2024 at 12:41, GHF-23 said:

This is something I've been looking into quite a lot recently, as we're currently in the process of getting me a green card so we can move to my wife's hometown. The cost of living, particularly in major cities, is frighteningly high, but for us it looks like moving over and doing the same jobs at the same level of experience we'd end up with a lot more disposable income than we do in the UK. The flip side is that means retirement/saving a deposit for a home is more or less starting again for us in our early 30s, which is a bit of a worry. 

The difference in purchasing power has been quite eye opening when her relatives have visited here or we've been over there. Obviously there's a lot more to standard of living, much of which (cost of healthcare and access to public transport being big ones) are poorer there. As those things are getting worse and worse in the UK, as you point out, it doesn't feel like as much of an issue as it maybe would have been previously. 

What city you talking? There are some in the states id happily live in, Nashville, Savannah, Austin, San Clemente or Utah as a whole. But some like Miami, Tampa, DC, San Diego, Memphis, Houston, Atlanta and St Louis etc you couldnt pay me enough to live in. 

13 hours ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

I think a manager at In-n-out burger also gets a six figure salary too. There are jobbing police officers in New York state making more than a very high ranking police officer here makes (circa £110k for a cop in New York and circa £85k for a Chief Superintendent/110k for assistant chief constable). Doctors make about 3/4 times the money too. 

What city you talking? There are some in the states id happily live in, Nashville, Savannah, Austin, San Clemente or Utah as a whole. But some like Miami, Tampa, DC, San Diego, Memphis, Houston, Atlanta and St Louis etc you couldnt pay me enough to live in. 

We have neighbours from the US (renting, she is doing a Masters degree here) and their son just applied to be a Chicago cop.

My neighbour said even he was a bit surprised at just how good the money was. 

I suppose there are other things to consider in the USA though, top line cash is fantastic, and if you have health care it feels golden when you are working.

But health care once you retire? No sure how that works, I do know that pay as you go is prohibitively expensive.

Also (again, the neighbours chat) the cost of University Education if you have kids is stratospheric, thats why there are so many yanks here (and in Glasgow where my son is studying) and happy to pay for it.