The Queen of the South thread

1 hour ago, BeeJay said:

I well remember many moons ago watching the teleprinter on BBC TV on a Saturday when 'DUNDEE 10 (TEN ) Queen of the South 2' came flashing across the screen. You wouldn't think that could happen again, would you? Probably have a problem getting the 2!

I'm Googling like crazy to come up with the quote of "and we were lucky to get nil" but I can't find a definitive answer as to who it is attributable to. 😋

55 minutes ago, Bairn in Exile said:

I'm Googling like crazy to come up with the quote of "and we were lucky to get nil" but I can't find a definitive answer as to who it is attributable to. 😋

They were lucky to get nil.' Len Shackleton of Newcastle commenting on sorry Newport's performance after a 13-0 drubbing.

Should have been wee Gordon Strachan after playing for a Dundee side that had just been pumped 6-0 by Queens in the LC at Palmy ... after berating Queens for a defensive 0-0 at Dens in the first leg. GS said he used to refer to that game in his pre match talks as a manager.

How times have changed ... 😐

Edited by Otis Blue

1 hour ago, BeeJay said:

Yes I think George Farm was injured and had to go off.

Was there not a game where Farm got injured and instead of going off, played up front and scored?

It might not have been that game, but I can vaguely remember doing a piece on him for the Rovers programme a couple of seasons back and I'm sure that happened to him in a game.

6 minutes ago, Specky Ginger said:

Was there not a game where Farm got injured and instead of going off, played up front and scored?

It might not have been that game, but I can vaguely remember doing a piece on him for the Rovers programme a couple of seasons back and I'm sure that happened to him in a game.

According to wikipedia, yes, for Blackpool.

"On 29 October 1955, in a 6–2 home defeat by Preston North End, Farm became one of the few goalkeepers to score a goal. He injured a shoulder and replaced Mudie at centre-forward, where he proceeded to open the scoring with his head."

Edited by Slipmat

4 hours ago, BeeJay said:

I well remember many moons ago watching the teleprinter on BBC TV on a Saturday when 'DUNDEE 10 (TEN ) Queen of the South 2' came flashing across the screen. You wouldn't think that could happen again, would you? Probably have a problem getting the 2!

4 hours ago, Otis Blue said:

Was that not way back in the day before substitutions were allowed and we lost our keeper early in the game. I think that may also have been close to the Dees league title winning side and a certain Alan Gilzean who went on to star for Spurs scored a hat trick or more that day. Others might fill in/correct the details ...

3 hours ago, BeeJay said:

Yes I think George Farm was injured and had to go off.

Yes that’s what happened. 
From QOS Wiki page

Record defeat: 10-2 versus Dundee at Dens Park; Scottish First Division; 1 December 1962. Queens played for 78 minutes with 10 men after goalkeeper George Farm was injured in the 12th minute and was carried off. Dundee's Alan Gilzean scored 7 of the goals

40 minutes ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

Yes that’s what happened. 
From QOS Wiki page

Record defeat: 10-2 versus Dundee at Dens Park; Scottish First Division; 1 December 1962. Queens played for 78 minutes with 10 men after goalkeeper George Farm was injured in the 12th minute and was carried off. Dundee's Alan Gilzean scored 7 of the goals

Wow, I had a feeling Gilzean scored more than just a hat trick, but 7 goals, jeezo. He was a proper player tbf.

8 hours ago, BeeJay said:

It did require our goalkeeper to be carried off in the days before subs, never mind sub keepers.  It also involved a Spurs bound Scotland striker running riot.

If it, or anything like it happened again soon, it would be a Hell of a lot worse.  

Edited to note that everyone has already said all of the above.  I hate when that happens.  Don't you people have to go to work?

Edited by Monkey Tennis

39 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Edited to note that everyone has already said all of the above.  I hate when that happens.  Don't you people have to go to work?

No need to work, the Government practically encourages people not to. Anyways, some of us probably look back a few posts/pages to see if we've missed anything before posting.

8 minutes ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

No need to work, the Government practically encourages people not to. Anyways, some of us probably look back a few posts/pages to see if we've missed anything before posting.

Look forward surely, from the post being replied to?

57 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Don't you people have to go to work?

Now, now MT, be gentle with us balding old fogies, sweary words like "work" could get us all stressed and raise our blood pressure even higher!

5 minutes ago, Otis Blue said:

Now, now MT, be gentle with us balding old fogies, sweary words like "work" could get us all stressed and raise our blood pressure even higher!

Heading that way myself and dreaming of little else.  

Not there for a bit yet though.  I'm just chronically jealous really.

56 minutes ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

😂

What is this work of which you speak? 
The broad sunny uplands of retirement are a fine place to be. 

Aye, as long as you don't have the cheek to sit on your arse or watch the telly or anything like that!!:angry:

3 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Heading that way myself and dreaming of little else.  

Not there for a bit yet though.  I'm just chronically jealous really.

As you should be. Two years for me now and can thoroughly recommend it. 👍

2 hours ago, printer said:

As you should be. Two years for me now and can thoroughly recommend it. 👍

Two years for me as well but got a bit fed up and have taken a wee job at Edinburgh Airport to keep me out of mischief.

Dont miss my previous career at all though.

Edited by Reggie Perrin