The Queen of the South thread

47 minutes ago, JessieField said:

Should have done this before last Saturday. shame it cost us 3 points to come to the correct conclusion.

If only Magic had a crystal ball to foresee that Brownlie,  one of our better players this season,  was going to have a 'mare. There were a few others whose performances didn't exactly help. Oliver was toothless, Osman was too slow and Pybus worked hard but had little effect. Losing  Mercer also meant a bit of player shuffling too. As I've said before,  Brownlie should maybe have been hooked when it became apparent that his mind was elsewhere and Hamilton should always be preferred before Oliver. 

Edited by Fae_the_'briggs

Gary Oliver has been a big disappointment for me! Was handed a 2 year deal as well when he signed up for this season! Actually quite liked him when he was here before but doesn’t appear to be fully focused at present?

Really hope we get at least one more player in during this transfer window [emoji848]

Oliver hasn't been outstanding but I think AJ is partly to blame for this as well. Our approach on Saturday was lumping it forward/high crosses into the box: the guy is about 5ft 9", what chance has he got?

For his size I think his hold-up play is very good so it would clearly be beneficial to play balls into his feet rather than a foot above him.

20 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

Oliver hasn't been outstanding but I think AJ is partly to blame for this as well. Our approach on Saturday was lumping it forward/high crosses into the box: the guy is about 5ft 9", what chance has he got?

For his size I think his hold-up play is very good so it would clearly be beneficial to play balls into his feet rather than a foot above him.

Of course it's better to play balls to feet with the likes of Dobbie,  Murray and Oliver but that probably means using midfielders who are comfortable to take possession and pick out good passes wide or through the middle,  I'm not sure we've got anybody in that mould at present. 

20 hours ago, JK_Queens said:

Looking at it from a distance I can’t see what more they can do. I’ve not got the answer, but we definitely need to entice more fans back. May just be the nature of the Dumfries demographic, but does feel like we’ve missed an entire generation of fans. I might be totally off the mark but feels like we have a small proportion of fans aged around 20-35.

20 - 35 the age you have a young family taking up your time and money in this low wage area its hard to justify the cost of a dad and 2kids tickets and food for 2hours possible entertainment 

12 minutes ago, weeredbook said:

Have Queens ever signed a player on  a pre-contract agreement  ? .

The first that comes to mind is Jamie Longworth who we agreed to sign but we then opted out of the move. He went on to be a decent scorer in the Scottish lower leagues. 

22 hours ago, oldhat said:

Any organisation tends to some degree to reflect the characters at its head.  If there is a disengaged, unambitious, uncompetitive vibe coming from the top, it will seep into all levels of the organisation, and for a football club, of all things, which should be built on the exact opposite of those characteristics, that is a disaster. 

You mean like the last time Magic and Sandy were here ?

56 minutes ago, Nithsdale Wanderer said:

You mean like the last time Magic and Sandy were here ?

No, of course not!  Just that I , like others, suspect a bit of a dead hand from further up than the manager.  

3 hours ago, eibbod nehpets said:

Ryan Conroy and Robbie Thomson were announced at the same time as pre - contract signings. 

Why those 2 came to mind first - I've no idea. 

Neither was an actual pre contract in the classic sense. They were signed after previous season finished but before the window formally opened to register them. In the same way Kevin Holt was this season. 

3 hours ago, ALOREBURNE said:

The first that comes to mind is Jamie Longworth who we agreed to sign but we then opted out of the move. 

Nothing was ever signed with Longworth. Chisholm may have offered him something verbally, not sure.

We were one of the first to do a formal pre contract way back. Gerry McLauchlan from Stranraer was signed 6 mth before his contract expired. Another obvious one is Andy Stirling about this time 3 years ago, though both clubs kept it quiet till Dumbarton were safe. 

Edited by Skyline Drifter

6 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Neither was an actual pre contract in the classic sense. They were signed after previous season finished but before the window formally opened to register them. In the same way Kevin Holt was this season. 

Nothing was ever signed with Longworth. Chisholm may have offered him something verbally, not sure.

We were one of the first to do a formal pre contract way back. Gerry McLauchlan from Stranraer was signed 6 mth before his contract expired. Another obvious one is Andy Stirling about this time 3 years ago, though both clubs kept it quiet till Dumbarton were safe. 

Are you able to offer any insight on the significance of pre-contracts is a legal/sfa sense(fine if you can’t)? Providing there is some form of written signed agreement.

when they first came in i like many others assumed a PCA was pretty much binding but there’s been a few pretty well known cases of players backing out.  Is that just a case of clubs not protecting themselves enough(not putting the right terms in etc) or is a PCA inherently vunerable?

26 minutes ago, parsforlife said:

Are you able to offer any insight on the significance of pre-contracts is a legal/sfa sense(fine if you can’t)? Providing there is some form of written signed agreement.

when they first came in i like many others assumed a PCA was pretty much binding but there’s been a few pretty well known cases of players backing out.  Is that just a case of clubs not protecting themselves enough(not putting the right terms in etc) or is a PCA inherently vunerable?

I did type a reply but the forum helpfully crashed and I lost it! Can't be arsed typing it out again but, in a nutshell, a properly constituted pre-contract would be legally valid but if either party chose to break it then the only course of action for the other party would be to sue for damages in civil court. The football authorities are not interested. Whilst football rules allow clubs to talk to other club's players when they are in the last 6 months of their contract, there is no mechanism to pre-register a player and therefore all they can do is sign a commitment to sign a contract on a later date. You cannot register that with the SFA so if the player signs for someone else come June the SFA will register the new paperwork as valid.

Seen someone suggest on twitter that you can't recall a player from loan in same window you loaned him. Anyone know if that's true? Sounds like a fairly sensible rule.

Any chance goalkeeper Ross Wilson can be recalled by Livi if Huddersfield recall the keeper on loan to them after the Huddersfield goalie got injured tonight... 
Berra turns down Salford... 

1 hour ago, Alex Nesovic's Barmy Army said:

Seen someone suggest on twitter that you can't recall a player from loan in same window you loaned him. Anyone know if that's true? Sounds like a fairly sensible rule.

I'm not aware of any such rule domestically, though there did used to be a rule that all loans had to last a minimum of 28 days before they could be cancelled. Not sure if that still exists. It would largely amount to the same thing, though in theory a loan in the 1st 3 days of January could be cancelled on 31st. If it does still exist then Ross Stewart couldn't be fully recalled until February.

However, the SPFL does allow 7 day emergency loans for goalkeepers in cases of injury without requiring an actual transfer of registration. This rule can also be applied to loan players so you could recall a goalkeeper you have out on loan for 7 days if you required. We used the same rule a couple of years ago to recall Ryan Gibson to sit on the bench for a game when Alan Martin was injured.

Don't know if there may be rule preventing the international recall of loans in the same window re Huddersfield though if that's what you meant?