Soccer AM cancelled

11 hours ago, Marlo Stanfield said:

I watched it occasionally. It got tired pretty quickly for me. Very much a product of the lads, lads, lads era. A visual Nutz magazine.

GB News should pick it up.

Off topic but I remember once years ago being in Heathrow and my flight home was delayed by 90 minutes or so. Mooching round a WH Smith to kill time, I decided to buy a Nutz magazine. Within 10 minutes it was rattling the bottom of a Terminal 4 bin. Complete nonsense.

6 minutes ago, jimbaxters said:

Off topic but I remember once years ago being in Heathrow and my flight home was delayed by 90 minutes or so. Mooching round a WH Smith to kill time, I decided to buy a Nutz magazine. Within 10 minutes it was rattling the bottom of a Terminal 4 bin. Complete nonsense.

Didn’t stop you from cracking off over Lucy Pinders hooters.

6 minutes ago, Bert Raccoon said:

On a sililar note, nothing will beat Danny Dyer's advice column in Zoo Magazine. Impressive he still managed to carve out a mainstream career 

image.jpeg.8a08d27cf950dbfa08fb6083a8fd20fb.jpeg

TBF, much like the "celebrity" horoscope columns, there's absolutely zero chance he wrote that.

8 minutes ago, Bert Raccoon said:

On a sililar note, nothing will beat Danny Dyer's advice column in Zoo Magazine. Impressive he still managed to carve out a mainstream career 

image.jpeg.8a08d27cf950dbfa08fb6083a8fd20fb.jpeg

20230122_145356.jpg.21dcf1cc6ea2d2eb0ea31804a5297867.jpg

"Sir, a 2nd group of birds has hit the Wetherspoons bar"

I tried to watch it recently but it’s just not very good. Only bit I like is the You know the drill stuff which you can watch on Youtube anyway. In a similar vein to the Crossbar Challenge which was good back in the day. 

That Lloyd Griffith they used to have on it is one of the least funny people I’ve ever seen on TV. 

Can I shock you? I enjoyed the Soccerette feature. It was funny then and, watching that clip Throbber posted, it's still funny now. No amount of mewling from members of the #WOKERATI will make me change my mind. It's just a bit of silly banter *insert Richard Keys meme*. 

Incredibly, watching Soccer AM as a teen hasn't turned me into a misogynist pig in my adult years and I think anyone who claims they were influenced by the show in that way was already a wrong'un anyway.

1 hour ago, jamamafegan said:

Can I shock you? I enjoyed the Soccerette feature. It was funny then and, watching that clip Throbber posted, it's still funny now. No amount of mewling from members of the #WOKERATI will make me change my mind. It's just a bit of silly banter *insert Richard Keys meme*. 

Incredibly, watching Soccer AM as a teen hasn't turned me into a misogynist pig in my adult years and I think anyone who claims they were influenced by the show in that way was already a wrong'un anyway.

I get all that, also there was nobody complaining about the show at the time and it’s not like the scccerettes were held there against their will. It still gave off a clear message as to where the programme thought women belonged at the football though which is why I find it so incredible to think back.  It was also laughable how happily Sky would go on to hang Keys and Gray out to dry over their misogynistic comments in 2011 whilst happily promoting a message of “it’s not for girls” with teenage girls walking catwalks on one of their most watched shows. 

The stuff about Tubes alcoholism being laughed off isn’t inclusive to Soccer AM also and it was very much a mainstream perception of how young people lived their lives at the weekends. You still just don’t see binge drinking being normalised nowadays and it’s crazy how images of him being carried out of nightclubs were laughed off the following Saturday.

7 minutes ago, throbber said:

I get all that, also there was nobody complaining about the show at the time and it’s not like the scccerettes were held there against their will. It still gave off a clear message as to where the programme thought women belonged at the football though which is why I find it so incredible to think back.  It was also laughable how happily Sky would go on to hang Keys and Gray out to dry over their misogynistic comments in 2011 whilst happily promoting a message of “it’s not for girls” with teenage girls walking catwalks on one of their most watched shows. 

In fairness to the show, they also had a female presenter who was clearly a proper football fan and who from my memory was always treated as such without being patronised in any way for it.

It was a product of its time, and clearly the Socerette stuff belongs alongside Page 3 and all the rest of it, but I don't think it was entirely poisonous.