The Playoffs - Round 1. Jags v Spiders

2 minutes ago, harlowspider said:

Morton do a good enough job of cunting themselves.

Fair point, Losing two winnable home games on the bounce, failing to beat Arbroath (again) and drawing a number of games from a winning position was our undoing this season.

9 minutes ago, eez-eh said:

Aye signing Simon Murray in League Two was a prime example of finding value.

As a perennially injured player who last played for Wits University in South Africa, his wages would have been less than you imagine, but it ended up costing a lot more than that  in medical bills. In that respect he was undervalued - few reams would have invested in a less than certain outcome.

17 minutes ago, eez-eh said:

Aye signing Simon Murray in League Two was a prime example of finding value.

I understand what you're trying to say, but Simon Murray was shite for us until the playoffs last season and up until that point I don't think any Queen's fans would have been interested in keeping him this season even if we were in League One. Coyle did a hell of a job getting the most of a guy who was on a one way ticket to Darvel or the like.

1 hour ago, harlowspider said:

In case you haven’t been paying attention the money is not being spent on players, but on coaching and youth development (and of course a white elephant of a ground).

The whole point of moneyball (see recent articles about AZ where Beuker came from and Billy Beane owns 5% of the club) is that you develop players and find value (via statistical analysis) in players undervalued in the market. It’s not about spending money on ageing PL players like Gretna did

I did pay attention. 

I have read as much as I have been able to find on QP since they turned pro.

I would have hoped the fact that I prefaced the body of my text with "conspiracy theorists would say" suggested I wasn't being entirely serious.

However, signing the likes of Simon Murray whilst being in the 4th tier isn't moneyball, but as my autocorrect keeps trying to tell me, it's moneybags. Owen Coyle there Pro Bono, aye?

1 minute ago, RateofKnots said:

I did pay attention. 

I have read as much as I have been able to find on QP since they turned pro.

I would have hoped the fact that I prefaced the body of my text with "conspiracy theorists would say" suggested I wasn't being entirely serious.

However, signing the likes of Simon Murray whilst being in the 4th tier isn't moneyball, but as my autocorrect keeps trying to tell me, it's moneybags. Owen Coyle there Pro Bono, aye?

For what it's worth, the recruitment strategy was very different in our last League Two season. We had Ray McKinnon calling the shots, who very much did want to sign as many of his pals who had played at a decent level before as he could.

He did what he was here to do, but fortunately he's gone and that's not happening anymore. 

5 minutes ago, harlowspider said:

As a perennially injured player who last played for Wits University in South Africa, his wages would have been less than you imagine, but it ended up costing a lot more than that  in medical bills. In that respect he was undervalued - few reams would have invested in a less than certain outcome.

Impressive levels of mental gymnastics on display here.

Queens Park may have not been spending quite as much as you’d expect for a player of Murray’s ability, but it would still have been a wage to blow anything else in League Two out of the water.

If Ayr went out and signed Lionel Messi tomorrow for 20k a week, that wage would be an awful lot lower than his “value”, but it would still be spending an absurd amount of money relative to the club’s revenue.

1 minute ago, Zanetti said:

For what it's worth, the recruitment strategy was very different in our last League Two season. We had Ray McKinnon calling the shots, who very much did want to sign as many of his pals who had played at a decent level before as he could.

He did what he was here to do, but fortunately he's gone and that's not happening anymore. 

I'll not have a word said against the Station Park Houdini, so steady on.

I'll be interested to watch how QP get on over the remaining course of the Haughey experiment, and thereafter.

As long as the QP board vote against B teams, they can't be that bad.

1 minute ago, RateofKnots said:

I'll not have a word said against the Station Park Houdini, so steady on.

I'll be interested to watch how QP get on over the remaining course of the Haughey experiment, and thereafter.

As long as the QP board vote against B teams, they can't be that bad.

I like McKinnon. He won us our first league title in my life that I was old enough to appreciate, regardless of how it was achieved. I was delighted at how he turned things around at Forfar.

12 minutes ago, eez-eh said:

Impressive levels of mental gymnastics on display here.

Queens Park may have not been spending quite as much as you’d expect for a player of Murray’s ability, but it would still have been a wage to blow anything else in League Two out of the water.

If Ayr went out and signed Lionel Messi tomorrow for 20k a week, that wage would be an awful lot lower than his “value”, but it would still be spending an absurd amount of money relative to the club’s revenue.

Pal, we just finished third in the Championship, our player wage budget for this season was frozen at the same level as it was in league one. That's why we couldn't sign players in January, aside from loan players, so we really were not splashing the cash around. Ross County doubled Murray's wages. If we had the cash we would have kept him.

Edited by Stuntiethumper

1 minute ago, Zanetti said:

I like McKinnon. He won us our first league title in my life that I was old enough to appreciate, regardless of how it was achieved. I was delighted at how he turned things around at Forfar.

He has a reputation, deservedly, but much like you said, did what needed to be done.

I'm not shy about being underwhelmed by Coyle from afar, but I am genuinely interested to see how/if the moneyball/academy works out for QP.

2 minutes ago, harlowspider said:

When it comes to actually pointing at the Gretna style splashing of money on the first team, it rarely goes much beyond Simon Murray, and assumptions about the sums of money involved. 

I'm not sure how any investment in the progress of of a club should be carried out if it's not in infrastructure and player development strategy (perhaps not making a big mess of stadium builds!). The real implication here is that the league positions should be settled by average home crowd attendance.

1 minute ago, Stuntiethumper said:

Pal, we just finished third in the Championship, our player wage budget was for the championship was frozen at the same level as it was in league one. That's why we couldn't sign players in January, aside from loan players, so we really were not splashing the cash around. Ross County doubled Murray's wages. If we had the cash we would have kept him.

Neither of these things contradict what I’ve said though. I didn’t say you were paying wages similar to Ross County, just that someone trying to pretend that this is all down to “finding value” and nothing more is absurd.

4 minutes ago, eez-eh said:

Neither of these things contradict what I’ve said though. I didn’t say you were paying wages similar to Ross County, just that someone trying to pretend that this is all down to “finding value” and nothing more is absurd.

QP took a punt on someone who might never have played again. It worked out. That’s finding value.

Just now, harlowspider said:

QP took a punt on someone who might never have played again. It worked out. That’s finding value.

Fuckin shite you come awa wi!

Stay doon.

Well done to Glasgow's classy establishment.

3 hours ago, Specky Ginger said:

It's funny how they go quiet as no one seems to be 100% sure of the adjective to describe what sort of a sad b*****d he is.

He’s a sad Airdrie b*****d. We’ve sung that song at him for about 20 years now.

3 hours ago, The Master said:

I heard “Paisley”, which works. 

Edit: which isn’t something you can normally say about Paisley. 

You didn’t hear that. He’s always been a sad Airdrie b*****d to Jags fans.