First Refusal: the EOS First Division 2023-24

13 hours ago, patriot1 said:

You could well be right but their next three games are home ties they will be favourites for followed by Vale of Leithen and Oakley away.

I wouldn’t rule them out.

I agree. 9 games unbeaten, squad as strong as it's been all season, with much more experience on the park and less dependence on youth. The blend of both is breeding a lot of confidence for Nitten just now. Long may it continue. A sleeping giant!

21 hours ago, Jordi1977 said:

Took in today's top of table clash between Newtongrange and Whitburn today. Comfortable 4-1 win for Star... scoreline maybe slightly flatters them, but it was a deserved win to take them top of the table.

Whitburn missed a couple of early chances, one of which was glorious and a bad miss by the striker. It came back to bite them as Star went 2 up at the break and made it 3 early in the 2nd half. Soon after the 3rd, Whitburn got their goal and then pushed to get another which just never came, eventually being hit on the break as Star added a 4th.

With scoring complete, Whitburn went down to 10 men for a silly foul by Chris Hughes... a frustrated lunge from behind.

Decent entertainment given the horrendous weather.

Very fair analysis. Thought Whitburn started well, should've scored, but Nitten were very good all over the park and ended up comfortable winners. You can see the confidence in them growing.

Edited by Passthebaw

Christmas break arrives with 46% of program completed.

As predicted the promotion race is proving tighter than a submarine hatch: resurgent Newtongrange and Dunipace now lead what feels a 5-way fight with Camelon, St Andrews and a misfiring Whitburn.

Down the bottom serial relegation fodder Vale of Leithen and fellow Premier descenders Oakley look in real trouble again, but a ding-dong contest looks in store directly above that.

17 hours ago, HibeeJibee said:

Christmas break arrives with 46% of program completed.

As predicted the promotion race is proving tighter than a submarine hatch: resurgent Newtongrange and Dunipace now lead what feels a 5-way fight with Camelon, St Andrews and a misfiring Whitburn.

Down the bottom serial relegation fodder Vale of Leithen and fellow Premier descenders Oakley look in real trouble again, but a ding-dong contest looks in store directly above that.

No argument there HJ,since the abandoned Dunipace game,we've went right aff the boil .

Hopefully the lads can turn it round over the festive period and beyond. 

Won't get much easier next term in the 1st Division,wae Bo'ness Athletic,Armadale Thistle and those that are relegated from the Premier this season in the mix. 

Going to be very tight, Dunipace have Camelon, Whitburn and Newtongrange all at Westfield before the end of January, will probably see it shake out a bit.

Still trying to get my head round the Whitburn decision….just hope it doesn’t affect the final position's I thought (naively) Whitburn would have gave us the 3 points considering there was 30 seconds left in the game! 

7 minutes ago, Mon the Pace said:

Going to be very tight, Dunipace have Camelon, Whitburn and Newtongrange all at Westfield before the end of January, will probably see it shake out a bit.

Still trying to get my head round the Whitburn decision….just hope it doesn’t affect the final position's I thought (naively) Whitburn would have gave us the 3 points considering there was 30 seconds left in the game! 

It’s Saints rather than Newtongrange on 27th Jan.

Throw in Blackburn away and that is some four game stretch coming up. 

Ten points out of twelve and the Pace are sitting pretty. Less than six and you’ll be playing catch up.

1 hour ago, DannyBlue said:

Do Heriot Watt ever use the indoor pitch at Oriam?

They did last January during bad weather when they played Lochgelly Albert (to the bemusement of the Albert's board I think- old Junior guys!)

It's freezing indoors by the way (kept cold to prevent condensation)

3 hours ago, DannyBlue said:

Do Heriot Watt ever use the indoor pitch at Oriam?

They've had permission to play 3 games on the National Indoor Stadium... a groundhop match v Leith in March 2018 plus games v Stirling Uni EOS in January 2018 then Lochgelly in December 2022 during bad weather.

EOS Qualifying Cup Final was there in March 2017 (was Sunday afternoon).

Edinburgh College played 2 games there v Pumpherston in February then Whitburn in April 2022 with usual park unavailable (both were Friday evenings).

To date these are the only 6 senior fixtures played indoors in Scottish football history.

EDIT: for some context in that entire period Heriot-Watt Uni has only ever had 3 home games postponed on their usual outdoor park which has artificial turf (Mar 2018 snowbound during 'Beast from the East'; Dec 2021 unexpected snowfall shortly before ko; Jan 2023 icing on pitch)... so basically the outdoor has only been unplayable 5 times in 7yrs anyway.

Obviously they can only then consider heading indoors with sufficient notice/assuming not already booked-out/if roads passable/etc.

Edited by HibeeJibee

Guest DannyBlue

Thanks, that's interesting to know cheers all. I was at the game v Whitburn on Saturday and it was pretty cold and the wind was swirling a wee bit and got me wondering if it was ever used.