Airdrieonians Vs Partick Thistle

A game that used to be one to look forward to. Hasn't been played too often, over recent seasons.

Last met at this level when Thistle won the old, first division.

Thistle are still a work in progress, imo. We have signed some established and some promising players with a few wildcards...

Looking forward to a return to Airdrie and hopefully three points, as in the Christie Elliott game 

Airdrieonians 1 Thistle 2

Edited by jagfox

Looking forward to this, it’s been too long since we played Thistle in a league game. From what I’ve seen of Thistle under Doolan they’ve played a similar style (with better players obviously) to Airdrie at their best under McCabe, so it’s an interesting match-up. 

For all they lost some key players this summer I’ve been impressed with Thistle’s recruitment and I think they’ve got the best starting eleven in the league outside of Dundee United. Airdrie will need to be a bit more composed on the ball than we have been so far this season and a bit more clinical going forward.

If he’s fit enough then I think Hancock will start in place of ATS, as we need more pace at the back. It seems like McGill and Todorov won’t be back for this game, so I’d be tempted to change up the midfield a bit to make us a bit more compact or play one of them out wide, with O’Connor dropping to the bench.

Edited by Mr November

21 minutes ago, jagfox said:

A game that used to be one to look forward to. Hasn't been played too often, over recent seasons.

Last met at this level when Thistle won the old, first division.

Thistle are still a work in progress, imo. We have signed some established and some promising players with a few wildcards...

Looking forward to a return to Airdrie and hopefully three points, as in the Christie Elliott game 

Airdrieonians 1 Thistle 2

How many of you luvvies, are planning on making the trip, 1k

Remember the steak pies are a fiver (4 for home fans)  hope we don't run out...

Seriously though,  Partick who should be on the Premier must still be gutting to miss out like that, plus the financial problems,   you would never know it though with all your signings being on paper very good and not cheap, Robinson, Alston, Adeloys and McInroy so far,  Doolan doesn't muck about with excuses for signing players, he just does it....  Would think Thistle could be a couple of goal favourites for this one and you couldn't really argue,  things can change as the week goes on, we are 2 strikers down injured, hopefully Rhys can a get another signing over the line,  

I think Thistle have recruited pretty well and I thought they looked good in the League Cup game against Dundee United.

Can see them finishing around 2nd/3rd this season or potentially challenging Dundee United for the title.

Used to really look forward to the games against Thistle when I was younger so hoping for a decent crowd/atmosphere.

With McGill and Todorov out injured we don't have a lot of depth in our squad with little options off the bench to change things.

I definitely think with the way both teams play they'll be goals in this one but I think it'll be a narrow win for Thistle.

Would think we would bring 750-1000. Does that mean we'd get the away stand or at side of home stand like when we seemed to play yourselves, every season in the league cup group stages?

12 minutes ago, jagfox said:

Would think we would bring 750-1000. Does that mean we'd get the away stand or at side of home stand like when we seemed to play yourselves, every season in the league cup group stages?

99% sure you'll be in the East Stand so the stand across from where the main stand is.

The games against Falkirk and Dunfermline last season we had that stand open for them.

1 minute ago, David Fernández said:

99% sure you'll be in the East Stand so the stand across from where the main stand is.

The games against Falkirk and Dunfermline last season we had that stand open for them.

Cheers mate. That would be minimum, might even be a few more for old times sakes 🤣

I’m not attending, which is a real shame because the cup game two seasons ago was a great atmosphere with a good bit of edge to it. Outside the old firm, Airdrie are probably the only Scottish team I actually actively dislike.

On paper, we should have too much for them, but we’ll see how it pans out. All I hope is that every single Airdrie fan leaves the ground in tears - is that too much to ask? 

6 minutes ago, jagfox said:

Cheers mate. That would be minimum, might even be a few more for old times sakes 🤣

I know better off coming along, nice warm summer's day 🥴next game is in January,  you never know you guys could go bust and we could go straight down, could we roll Kenny Black and Paul Lovering out for this one,  hopefully some not so good natured banter for old times sake and all that..

I'll be in hospitality in this one which means I'll need to temper my inevitable frustration at the overplaying from the back when it's not on and our wingers inability to impose some physicality on the game as we struggle to put them in behind where their real strengths are. 

If we want to be staying up then home games need to be our bread and butter. Heart says home win but head says best we can hope for here is a score draw. 

1 hour ago, jagfox said:

Looking forward to a return to Airdrie

Let's not go too far with the pleasantries here.

Only saw the highlights from yesterday but we're pretty much as I expected, good going forward but not very secure defensively, can't see us keeping many clean sheets but should be entertaining to watch.

I don't think it's possible to recreate the scenes the last time I was at this ground, when we won 2-1 and essentially clinched the title with the 2 last minute goals from Balatoni and Elliot. 

Disappointed to draw the game against Raith in the matter that we did, old habits coming back to haunt us. Hopefully we can keep it tight at the back, did I read correctly that McMillan went off injured on Saturday? I don't fancy Williams starting at RB.

Another tight game I reckon, 1-0 Thistle with Fitzpatrick scoring. 

17 minutes ago, AlwaysThistle said:

Hopefully we can keep it tight at the back, did I read correctly that McMillan went off injured on Saturday? I don't fancy Williams starting at RB.

McMillan went off but it didn’t look like a serious injury, presumably due to a lack of game time. We won’t have difficulty opening teams up but we haven’t kept a clean sheet in any of our six games (inc. Kelty) which is far from ideal.

I’m gutted I’m missing this, reckon it could get tasty. 2-1 Thistle, late McInroy screamer.

4 hours ago, velo army said:

Welcome back lads. I hope you stay longer this time. 

Cheers, so do we 

I have only just realised how much I missed being hated by clubs that actually have a following. Don’t mean that harsh against those in the league below but can hardly call Edinburgh, Kelty, Peterhead or Alloa a game with needle. Whilst I hate a lot of the things fans have done over the years to be disliked I love games having that extra  bit of aggro 

I am gonna feel dirty saying this but I enjoyed watching Thistle last year especially in the playoffs and after the full time whistle against County I really felt for the fans. I wouldn’t mind yous having a good season but as for Saturday let’s hope we smash the f**k out you (figuratively speaking on the park before anyone has a pop at the moustached element of our support). 

Ever reluctant to predict a defeat for us, and tired of fence sitting draw, Ive gone for 2-1 home win.

I had many Thistle supporting friends in my Glasgow working life so I have a soft spot for them rather than the other three. However I'd love to beat them any time and it might as well be this one. 

They've recruited better than us and I can see why most posters go for away win