Airdrieonians Vs Partick Thistle

Watched Aaron Muirhead's interview after the game and he's 100% spot on.

It's pretty refreshing to watch an interview when a player/manager of the opposite team gives you a fair reflection on the game rather than blame the ref/throw everyone else under the bus.

I thought we were excellent today, especially in the 2nd half, very encouraging signs that we are able to compete in the Championship.

McMaster, Aiken and Ballantyne the stand outs for me but tbf everyone was brilliant!! 👏

Edited by David Fernández

2 hours ago, Diamond1924 said:

Partick looked very very average today but were ok in spells. Fitzpatrick and Graham were the standouts for me,  quite direct.

Standouts in what way? I thought they were two of our worst participants in a poor overall performance.

Airdrie well worth their win today. 2-1 that really should have been more. Fair play and we absolutely must do better or will be closer to the relegation playoffs than the promotion ones.

11 minutes ago, Nightmare said:

Standouts in what way? I thought they were two of our worst participants in a poor overall performance.

Airdrie well worth their win today. 2-1 that really should have been more. Fair play and we absolutely must do better or will be closer to the relegation playoffs than the promotion ones.

Standouts in the sense that they were the only two Patrick players who looked like they had played the game before 

3 hours ago, Kenny_m said:

Yeh should have brought him on for the last 30 mins 🤣

@Chapelhall chap and some others will get this!

Yes I got the reference right away. Thought our full backs were excellent today and whilst snuffing out their wide guys, the attacking drive eventually won the day for us with Watson's superb run and cross for Gal.

Thistle looked really strong in first half although their lead was a wee bit undeserved. I did think at half time that we'd be hard pressed to get even but their loss of Williamson and too many subs ,saw Friz and Dean and the others simply seize the game. It was good to see a wee bit of dig. Was tense when Craigy boy kept playing on and I'd need to see highlights re offside late on. Great day to stroll out on to Craigneuk Avenue. 

17 minutes ago, David Fernández said:

Watched Aaron Muirhead's interview after the game and he's 100% spot on.

It's pretty refreshing to watch an interview when a player/manager of the opposite team gives you a fair reflection on the game rather than blame the ref/through everyone else under the bus.

I thought we were excellent today, especially in the 2nd half, very encouraging signs that we are able to compete in the Championship.

McMaster, Aiken and Ballantyne the stand outs for me but tbf everyone was brilliant!! 👏

I thought Aiken struggled initially when he came on, as it was quite a high tempo game and we were struggling as a team at that point, but he came into it much more in the second half. O’Connor still has a bit to do before he’s ready to regularly compete at this level but I like what I’ve seen from Aiken and think he’ll suit our style very well.

2 minutes ago, Mr November said:

I thought Aiken struggled initially when he came on, as it was quite a high tempo game and we were struggling as a team at that point, but he came into it much more in the second half. O’Connor still has a bit to do before he’s ready to regularly compete at this level but I like what I’ve seen from Aiken and think he’ll suit our style very well.

I think the full team struggled towards the end of the second half when McCabe came off injured, can't believe he's only 18 as well, think he'll go on to have a great career.

I do agree with O'Connor, I mentioned last week after the Dunfermline game how important McGill is to the team and when fit he has to start, not completely writing him off but out of the Hibs loanee's I've been much more impressed by Aiken.

McGregor was very good today too!! 

That was tremendous. A good game of football first and foremost and what a difference having a decent crowd, in the home and away end across the way makes to the atmosphere. Thought we were worth our win in the end. Should really have been up at half-time and, while the first-half was pretty even, I thought we would rue those missed chances. But the second-half Frizzell and McMaster ran the midfield and Thistle didn’t have an answer for our passing/possession game. Gabby made a real impact as soon as he came on. O’Connor has his place but you can see Gabby is just a far better out-ball. Props to McGregor who I thought gave some of the better full-backs in the division some bother today. Gal’s goal was a beaut! Fantastic buildup play, cross from Watson and header from Gal. And thank God because he was needing a goal 😂

That was a huge win today. And huge to come from behind against one of the more fancied teams. Delighted to have our first points on the board. Even more delighted to beat Thistle 😎♦️

I took in this game in as a neutral.  I couldn't face Clyde v Bonnyrigg Rose. I don't have the gift of prophesy or a crystal ball, but still new how that would end.  Anyway,  I have to say that I thoroughly enjoyed this game.  I totally disagree with what the Partick fans say about their teams performance.  I saw two cracking teams playing good football. There were times when Airdrie were well on top in the first half, but when Patrick scored, they were well in control of things.  A thoroughly entertaining game, rich with some really good football being played from both sides.  A game changer for Airdrie was the introduction of your no23 - Gabby McGill.  

What was shocking and unacceptable was the refereeing.  That goal that was disallowed was very clearly over the line. The challenge on Rhys McCabe merited at least a yellow, and Partick's no4 should have been booked for persistent fouling.  A shame really as he looked a really decent centre half.  Equally there were some unfair decisions that went against Partick.  Perhaps Mr Napier should get some coaching on the rules of the game and spend a couple seasons in the West of Scotland league before he is let near an SPFL fixture again.  

A massive 3 points for Airdrie, and of course Partick fans will be disappointed that they did not take anything away from that. But I believe that on that performance, both will be there or thereabouts at the end of the season.  Dundee United were immense against albeit a very poor Arbroath side, and are probably favourites for the title.  From what I saw today, I have no doubt that both Airdrie and Patrick Thistle will match them when they come up against them.  All in all, some great football played from both sides, and a pleasure to watch.  

PS - What about Calum Gallagher?  That goal that he scored was a harder one then the two that he missed in the first half had they gone in!!!!

Absolute shitshow of a performance from us and probably the worst since Doolan took over. Airdrie were well deserving winners and we offered nothing. Alston was absolutely honking.

Edited by Reid

12 hours ago, Diamond1924 said:

Standouts in the sense that they were the only two Patrick players who looked like they had played the game before 

I thought Graham and Fitzpatrick were two of our worst performers yesterday tbh. But very few got pass marks. Airdrie should’ve been a couple up in the first half, and certainly well deserved their victory in the end. 

12 minutes ago, JagsCG said:

I thought Graham and Fitzpatrick were two of our worst performers yesterday tbh. But very few got pass marks. Airdrie should’ve been a couple up in the first half, and certainly well deserved their victory in the end. 

At least Fitzpatrick had a bit of  go,big Brian had one of these off days when he should have been hooked at halftime .

Watched our highlights, quite short by our standards and sure AIrdrie's will be in more detail.

Our first disallowed goal was so far offside we never bothered including it in the highlights and had to find it in full match replay, second one is tighter (Graham is only half in the frame when Milne heads the ball) and always impossible to make sense of a tight offside decision from a 45 degree angle especially when you see all the VAR lines in games in the EPL, but looks fair enough.

image.png.15ea2ae9e65d1dabc0a332bd0d0789ad.png

Not actually sure AIrdrie's ghost goal was as far in as everyone else said, where the rubber crumb comes up when the ball hits the ground seems to be part on the line and part over, again at 45 degree angle not easy to judge, not ball hitting back of net vs Morton levels.

Anyway, none of that mattered as better team won. Another massive deflection for their first goal, that's 2 in 2 weeks gone against us. Second is pub team level defending, Airdrie player allowed to run 30 yards without anyone getting within 10 yards of him and then punts in a loopy cross which Muirhead totally misjudges. Good header though.