Fife Derby: Pars vs Rovers - Sat 26th August

4 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

Keith Watson and Euan Murray were fucking superb today. Ian Murray said in pre season that we needed two centre halves who want to header everything and throw themselves in front of the ball - and that’s exactly what they did. A blood and guts performance from both of them. McGill filled in really well at LB and covered Murray a couple of times when he got caught wrong side. Didn’t think Byrne, Brown and Stanton really worked as a midfield 3, but I’m not really sure. Stanton scored and should’ve really had a second so I’m happy to concede it can’t have been that bad. 

Hope Murray’s injury isn’t too bad. We could do with him and Watson just being fine all season. 

Absolutely bang on. Watson and Murray were a Rock in a makeshift defence. McGill was fantastic today as well. Dabrowski was confident and his kicking was perfect. 

10 minutes ago, CALDERON said:

Glad to see we "did our talking on the pitch"

Dunfermline fans have mentioned a game against Falkirk where McPake let them have the ball all game as he knew they would do nothing with it, and Murray essentially did the same thing today.  Looked like a team very much dependent on defensive solidity, who weren't very solid in defence today.

Rovers weren't great at all today, we are yet to get out of 2nd gear this season really in the league, but defended superbly.  Ground out win, which we didn't see enough of last season.  

Hard to disagree with the first part.

2 hours ago, DAFC. said:

Exceptionally frustrating. Nothing went our way at all today. O’Halloran was a bawhair away on great balls from Wighton 3 times that I can think that we would be expecting goals from. 

Smash and grab from Rovers that. 

1 hour ago, Rammit Bawdeep said:

Well done the little team, good to see they bought a wee support for their wee club . Byrne  is a total melt who I hope rots in hell.

next

FUB7jqRXEAkzAph.jpg

Just in the door so bit of a longer post now. 

Over the piece, we merited the three points though it was by no means and easy game. I can't help but feel that we're always going to look at our bench for Stanton's one on one and feel that one of the others might have scored it, but he's such an incredible player to have in your side and brings so many other net benefits aside from his goal. He definitely scored the harder opportunity. He seemed to link up well with Hamilton in quite a basic partnership. 

As touched on, Dabrowski can hopefully kick on from that performance today. His save during the second half was up in McGurn territory. There were folk on social media last week calling for a new keeper to be brought in, but that performance today was far more in line with that we expected. 

For our backline, we've clearly made a step up from last season. Tom Lang is a handsome human being and a solid centre half but I feel more assured with both of Watson and Murray. Ideally, if we could bring in another loan to add to the defence, it would be lovely. I thought McGill had a stellar game at left back - he had everything under control and didn't look out of place there. Again, we've come to expect this of him but in the last derby he did look quite exposed so it's nice to see him fill in today. Ross Millen looked comfortable enough at right back. 

In midfield, Brown and Bryne did what was needed of them. Brown in particular is an absolute gamechanger and you always feel that he is a bit of an equaliser when he's charging after the opposition counter attack. In a similar way to the Motherwell cup game last season, you always believe he has a chance of winning the ball and putting things completely on their head. Bryne was fine for me - with more game time he'll fit right in.  Mullin's set pieces and general crosses into the box are outrageously good for this level, but it's hard when Hamilton is out of the box having won a flick on. We've got a lot of pieces of a puzzle, and if we can fit them together I think we'll have the potential to tank a team one weekend. 

Without going all Greenock Morton, the referee seemed wildly inconsistent today. The main stand linesman had two calls where it was quite clear we should've had a corner. There was also an incident which was identical to Liam Dick's sending off last week, which went completely unpunished. The game was played in a good spirit for the most part though some tensions did boil over slightly at the end - Otoo in particular seemed desperate to have a scrap with our lads. 

For the most part, it was an enjoyable derby. Not the highest quality performance from either side, but both sets of fans were in good voice and both clubs will feel that they're thriving at the moment.  The celebrations at the end were excellent - Millen and Euan Murray in particular both looked very happy to get one over their former club. As touched on in the video below, you just feel that last season there would've been a 90th minute equaliser for Dunfermline. 

Edited by Broken Algorithms

15 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

Keith Watson and Euan Murray were fucking superb today. Ian Murray said in pre season that we needed two centre halves who want to header everything and throw themselves in front of the ball - and that’s exactly what they did. A blood and guts performance from both of them. McGill filled in really well at LB and covered Murray a couple of times when he got caught wrong side. Didn’t think Byrne, Brown and Stanton really worked as a midfield 3, but I’m not really sure. Stanton scored and should’ve really had a second so I’m happy to concede it can’t have been that bad. 

Hope Murray’s injury isn’t too bad. We could do with him and Watson just being fine all season. 

I thought the midfield three were good. I'd still like to see another defender added as we are still light back there. A suspension or injury and we are struggling. 

Just now, raith1974 said:

I thought the midfield three were good. I'd still like to see another defender added as we are still light back there. A suspension or injury and we are struggling. 

Think we’ll get another LB in the next few weeks. 

2 minutes ago, raith1974 said:

I kinda felt that the midfield pivot sat really deep and we struggled to build much through the middle. Have to admit I'd have left Stanton in beside Brown and subbed Byrne for Vaughan.

On the other hand, we won. So who fucking cares.

Defensively we looked slow to react, decision making in possession was quite poor at times as well. Rovers centre halves won near enough every duel today. Got their reward for pressuring us in an area we clearly weren't comfortable in.

What's the deal with Hamilton is he shite or something? Had him warming up most of the 2nd half and he can't get a look in. 

Decent weather and crowd at least, but that game was really frustrating to watch. 

Big performances all over.

McGill, Brown and Watson special mentions from me.

Watson - won almost every header, would have headed his mum it felt like today to clear his lines.

Brown - driving force in everything we do. A leader.

McGill - some boi. Steps in anywhere and doesn’t let us down.

1 minute ago, JamieStevenson said:

Defensively we looked slow to react, decision making in possession was quite poor at times as well. Rovers centre halves won near enough every duel today. Got their reward for pressuring us in an area we clearly weren't comfortable in.

What's the deal with Hamilton is he shite or something? Had him warming up most of the 2nd half and he can't get a look in. 

Decent weather and crowd at least, but that game was really frustrating to watch. 

Our Hamilton? From what I’ve seen looks like he’s either not fit or carrying an injury.

1 minute ago, Scary Bear said:

Our Hamilton? From what I’ve seen looks like he’s either not fit or carrying an injury.

Think he means their Hamilton.  

Granted, difficult to tell from a birthday party. 

Just now, CALDERON said:

Think he means their Hamilton.  

Granted, difficult to tell from a birthday party. 

Criticism warranted, but for the purposes of accuracy, it was a kids football coaching course today. 

2 hours ago, DAFC. said:

Exceptionally frustrating. Nothing went our way at all today. O’Halloran was a bawhair away on great balls from Wighton 3 times that I can think that we would be expecting goals from. 

Smash and grab from Rovers that. 

You weren't very good pal

2 hours ago, Fifes Elite Force said:

Think we were better the first half but gifted rovers a goal towards the end. Second half there was allot effort/presure from us but Rovers managed the game reasonably well and were organised enough to survive it. We had a couple of chances but didnt really cut them open.

Tight scoreline as predicted and I see Rovers as a playoff team that can scrap results out when required.

Our lack of quality going forward(same as last season where Falkirk and airdrie scored more) is still a problem. And also the lack of options from the bench to freshen it up which would have been useful today

Think that's the main difference for us this season. Had enough of the total fitba' but soft centre of the last few seasons - bring on the nasty stuff and time wasting.