Raith vs Queen’s Park, 2 Sept 2023

I do think we’ll probably see 90 minutes for the likes of Ethan Ross, Easton and Jamie Gullan next week. After that cameo yesterday, Vaughan also has to play in the following game. Having genuine match winners coming off the bench in every game is a hellishly good option to have. 

I find it wild anyone can’t see the balance and quality Mullin adds to the side. It would be great to have two rampaging wingers beating full backs for fun on either side but players that can do that and have a quality final ball and also work back the other way don’t exist in the Scottish Championship.

We have the pace and running in behind of Smith on one side and Mullin offers great balance on the other side with a bit more control in possession and excellent delivery added to a fantastic workrate. Find it strange anyone would watch the game and think that was our area of concern but everyone’s entitled to an opinion. Doubt Mullin will play next week as there will be quite a few changes so I guess we’ll see if someone does enough to take the shirt.

Seen someone mention the tactical change at half time with Gullan coming on, surely Hamilton had a knock? Don’t see Murray making that change unless it was enforced.

I’ve defended him in recent weeks but that is an undeniable howler by big Kev for the first goal. Second goal is awful from Watson and McGill. Conceded 2 goals in 6 of our last 7 games, that really needs to be fixed quickly but we showed at East End Park we have it in us to be a solid defensive unit.

Great win, fantastic character by the team once again. Genuinely felt confident once we got the equaliser we’d get a winner. That’s 5 times already we’ve came from behind to get something from a game, pretty sure that’s all we managed in the whole of last season.

Having now watched it back, that red card was utterly ridiculous. I thought so at the time too but you never know until you've had a closer look at it.

Really hope the players are able to recognise that yesterday was an excellent battling performance despite the referee and a couple of mental managerial decisions, and build on that; we really should've at least come away with a point.

4 minutes ago, Zanetti said:

Having now watched it back, that red card was utterly ridiculous. I thought so at the time too but you never know until you've had a closer look at it.

Really hope the players are able to recognise that yesterday was an excellent battling performance despite the referee and a couple of mental managerial decisions, and build on that; we really should've at least come away with a point.

I didn't think Queens Park battled or played that well at all yesterday to be honest.  Rovers should have been out of sight, and handed 2 goals on a plate really.  Some grim finishing and good goalkeeping kept the score down.

That said, having gone 2-1 up the game management on show was horrific.

1 minute ago, CALDERON said:

I didn't think Queens Park battled or played that well at all yesterday to be honest.  Rovers should have been out of sight, and handed 2 goals on a plate really.  Some grim finishing and good goalkeeping kept the score down.

That said, having gone 2-1 up the game management on show was horrific.

We didn't create that many chances, but despite being a man down I felt that overall it was a pretty even game. Don't think there's a whole lot between the sides and I'd expect the rest of the games to be fairly close this season too.

Dont think the camera angle captures the refs view and makes a poor decision look worse. 

Spent the last hour on Rovers media channels after planning to be out with the dog at half 8. The content is off the scale. Like the kind of "on pitch" addition, highlights have gone up a level from already being quality, interviews A1 especially LV10, got fairly emotional watching it. Oh and dugout cam😄

Think we are 4 points better off due to the teams desire. Last 2 weeks would have been drawn at best in previous years. 

It’s just never red is it. It’s a very obvious yellow card and until Byrne started going over to the ref, none of the Raith players around the incident are calling for the red. Even when you look at Callum Smith, he’s not calling for it until he sees Byrne running over. Fox is covering in behind and considering the area of the pitch, It’s a very poor decision from the ref 

The game management from 2-1 up is what enrages more than anything 

On the lower camera angle in our highlights, looking right along it, the case is stronger for a yellow than a red, but can see why he’s given it. You deal with the cards you’re dealt, though.

When you’re sitting in a strong position with the clock ticking down, and decide to replace experience with inexperience, that’s what alters the result. If you’re making mental subs, at least make it make sense in the sense that you’re spreading them so that it’s killing the flow of the game. We all shout about it when an opponent is doing it, but any team with a bit of nouse has the physio on at least once during that spell, as well as a fantasy bout of cramp and any other form of shithousery you can think of.

I'm not sure about the red either - 50/50 on whether that was indeed a professional foul and whether the other QP player was covering. However, it is a cynical foul with absolutely zero intention of playing the ball and these always carry a degree of risk. 

Watching the highlights it is unbelievable we were in the position of being behind in that game. Some absolutely horrible errors, combined with poor finishing and some good goalkeeping and we were behind, having been in the lead against 10 men. That is dreadful stuff, frankly, and we should never have allowed ourselves to get into that position.

The response to it was incredible, though. Kept going for it and we were rewarded. Not too long ago, that would've ended in a 3-1 defeat. Absolutely phenomenal effort, although I'd be much happier if we could see out a lead against 10 men in a more measured manner, for the sake of everyone's health if nothing else. 

18 minutes ago, an86 said:

If you’re making mental subs, at least make it make sense in the sense that you’re spreading them so that it’s killing the flow of the game. We all shout about it when an opponent is doing it, but any team with a bit of nouse has the physio on at least once during that spell, as well as a fantasy bout of cramp and any other form of shithousery you can think of.

It was still going on but it wasn't nearly as bad as some examples I've seen. We had a corner late on where we went to take it quick, and a Queens player kicked a second ball onto the pitch from behind the goals.

The topic in general is a weird subject. I know they've tried to change things recently but there really is something to be said about disrupting the rhythm of a match. 

I said at the time I didn't think it was a red. Hamilton still had a long way to go from goal. It'll be one of those ones which will always split opinions. 

On 27/08/2023 at 19:38, Spider1975 said:

Most QP fans were surprised to see him start against ICT.  The ones that weren't, were surprised when he kept that start for the next games.  He's genuinely good with his feet and has got ability, maturity and confidence far beyond his years.  He's definitely got something about him. 

A lot of rumour re sale but nothing of substance so fas as we're aware.  As for loan-back, who knows.  Just not Arsenal - Arteta bloody ruined KT, not having him do it to someone else!

There have been a lot of young goalkeepers who have been seriously hyped early in their careers and not remotely fulfilled it (Michael Watt, Stewart Kerr, some guy who went from Stirling Albion to Everton), but I honestly have to say your boy looks the real deal.

On the game, I felt at the time and stand by that the red was harsh. Fox was alongside Hamilton and at the half way line it’s not a clear goal scoring opportunity. Yellow all day. 

Queens knocked the ball about well and at times even a man down you were sat wondering which team was the one down to ten men. Although for all the nice play never really peppered us with chances (yes understandable a man down) but kind of gave the impression of all fart but nae shite at the end. Nice football but no real end product. The two goals they scored were howlers from our part. 

Actually think our changes and Queens’ triple substitution won us the game - the subs for the Spiders never got going and I think ultimately it’s ended up costing them. 

On another day we’d be sitting here having tucked 6 goals away. Never played great yesterday but still creating plenty chances. 

Spirit and passion of the team right now is admirable.

The non red changed the game but thankfully not the outcome, Rovers did less against 10 men than they did against 11.

Had it stayed 11 v 11 I reckon it would have finished 2-0 or perhaps 3-0 as Rovers didn't really start to play until we went behind.

To sum up:

Not a red.

The young QP keeper is excellent but the rest of the team aren't much to write home about.

Two absolute gifts for the QP goals.

Three just about deserved points for the Rovers.

Really interesting selection dilemma for Murray now.  I don't think Smith, Mullin or Hamilton deserve to be dropped - but dropping Vaughan was a big call, and he's now went on to score 2 goals to win us the match yesterday.

If everyone is playing well, its a great headache to have, but a headache nonetheless.  Factor in Easton, Ross and soon Connolly also and its a bit nuts :lol:

All of the above said, I'm still concerned about the goalkeeper.  I get that he needs some time to develop etc, but the mistake yesterday wasn't really that unexpected - and its one area of the pitch where we can't really allow too much "bedding in" time.   Booing at the goal and sarcastic cheering after he caught the ball can get in the bin though - really poor.  He obviously knew he'd had a howler and didn't need reminding.

Also really disappointing to concede that 2nd goal in the manner we did, considering how good the defence was last week.  Guys like Watson and Murray need to be booting that ball to f**k.   

Great attitude and spirit to get back into the game though.  I looked at the full match replay on RaithTV and looked at the minute or so before the winner, and the build up play was incredibly patient.  So tempting to just lump it forward, but fair play, made the extra man count and worked the opening.  

Edited by CALDERON

5 minutes ago, CALDERON said:

Great attitude and spirit to get back into the game though.  I looked at the full match replay on RaithTV and looked at the minute or so before the winner, and the build up play was incredibly patient.  So tempting to just lump it forward, but fair play, made the extra man count and worked the opening.  

It wasn't on the highlights, but I was quite terrified Queens would take a quick kick off with our team celebrating in our half. Scott Brown was a composed head and pretty much immediately is in there telling lads to get back into position because the game wasn't over.

12 minutes ago, CALDERON said:

Really interesting selection dilemma for Murray now.  I don't think Smith, Mullin or Hamilton deserve to be dropped - but dropping Vaughan was a big call, and he's now went on to score 2 goals to win us the match yesterday.

If everyone is playing well, its a great headache to have, but a headache nonetheless.  Factor in Easton, Ross and soon Connolly also and its a bit nuts :lol:

All of the above said, I'm still concerned about the goalkeeper.  I get that he needs some time to develop etc, but the mistake yesterday wasn't really that unexpected - and its one area of the pitch where we can't really allow too much "bedding in" time.   Booing at the goal and sarcastic cheering after he caught the ball can get in the bin though - really poor.  He obviously knew he'd had a howler and didn't need reminding.

Also really disappointing to concede that 2nd goal in the manner we did, considering how good the defence was last week.  Guys like Watson and Murray need to be booting that ball to f**k.   

No-one needs to tell Kevin that he mucked up. He openly acknowleged to the South Stand that the first was his error and that should have been that. No-one needed the sarcastic cheering when he caught the ball later on.