Queen’s Park V Pars

1 hour ago, QPEast said:

I think we've certainly got a bit too cute with playing Thomson at centre-back. Also, worryingly he's actually third in the depth chart for CB - recruitment is not there. He was sadly missed in the middle yesterday as no one else was willing to dribble with the ball to create some openings.

I really do think we have leaned into the youth movement too much, i's great to have players progressing from the academy but when you look at yesterday's bench, who comes on to save the game. It cost £20 to get into the game yesterday and I think watching a bunch of teenagers get outplayed by bang average sides is going get old very fast. 

Also what does Jarrett need to do to get a run in this side, what's the point of bringing him on at 80 min yesterday, borderline offensive to the man. 

Obviously I haven’t seen much of Queens Park and don’t know the players well. Based on yesterday though, I thought Fox was more of a liability at CB than Thomson. His positioning was all over the place. In the first half in particular, we got a lot of joy from Wighton/McCann dropping deep, knowing Fox would move 5/6 yards up the park with them, then Summers or McCann running into the space behind him, knowing there was no way he’d catch our guys. Even when we didn’t do that, we caught him a few times being 2/3 yards deeper than the rest of your defence (see our first goal as a prime example). A more clinical side (like Raith or Dundee Utd) would have made much more of the space we were given yesterday and the opportunities Queens Park handed us.

There are undoubtedly some good championship players in the Queens Park squad, but there seems to be no real identity and you don’t seem to be playing to the strengths of your better players. Dom Thomas seemed motivated, but didn’t seem able to shine/do what he does best. In our system, there’s a lot of space on the wings and I honestly thought Dom Thomas would make the most of the space behind Edwards when we pushed forward, but he kept drifting inside, which isn’t where he’s at his best at all.

Also, just to add… just seen Dom’s interview. I loved him when he was with us and he’s a great player. I’d love to see him do well in his career, just not against us. But he mentions our 3 or 4 game losing streak… we’ve lost 1 out of 5 so far, and drew our last league game before yesterday. We’re also unbeaten away from home in almost a full calendar year.

Also talks about QP dominating possession, but having been at the game I definitely thought we had more of the ball and completely dominated the game. He’s never taken defeats well, but he’s just making up nonsense in that interview.

6 minutes ago, CallumPar said:

Also talks about QP dominating possession, but having been at the game I definitely thought we had more of the ball and completely dominated the game.

Agree with this. Even when we had the ball, we did nothing with it. Possession for the sake of it. Moved the ball so slowly. Nobody looking to take a risk. I’m convinced we’ve been told not to play wide or hit the line. Hepburn got into a great shooting position and inexplicably rolled it towards the penalty spot. Nobody is going to convince me that these guys are doing this instinctively.

I’m not a 4-4-2, lump it into the box aimlessly guy. Stats undoubtedly have their place in the modern game, but they should be used for guidance, rather than a complete blueprint. You can’t play football by numbers. It will fail. 

24 minutes ago, CallumPar said:

Obviously I haven’t seen much of Queens Park and don’t know the players well. Based on yesterday though, I thought Fox was more of a liability at CB than Thomson. His positioning was all over the place.

Just to be clear, I'm not criticising Thomson, actually its the opposite. He should be in the middle of the park where he excels. Also, having a lightweight Healy in the midfield three is not going work. 

Fox was a player who bossed L1 when he arrived and a new messiah was crowned. He has came crashing down to earth since then.

18 minutes ago, QPEast said:

Just to be clear, I'm not criticising Thomson, actually its the opposite. He should be in the middle of the park where he excels. Also, having a lightweight Healy in the midfield three is not going work. 

Fox was a player who bossed L1 when he arrived and a new messiah was crowned. He has came crashing down to earth since then.

Thomson was the only one who could come out of that game with any sort of credibility. Even the usual ones who play very well like Spong and Thomas looked out of sorts. Dunfermline fans mentioned on here before about Thomas’ game being nullified under Peter Grant due to being placed in the middle of the park. Typically, yesterday was the first time I’ve seen Thomas in a more central role and didn’t look anywhere near as comfortable or effective. Hope that’s the last time we see that formation.

Harsh on Fox I’d say. He had a dreadful end to last season but he’s easily been one of our better performers this season. I think he looks almost back to his usual self. Everyone was pretty much useless yesterday in fairness

54 minutes ago, CallumPar said:

But he mentions our 3 or 4 game losing streak… we’ve lost 1 out of 5 so far,

To be fair we lost v Raith then drew our next game at Inverness then lost v Dundee Utd albeit in the Challenge Cup. We also drew the United game before the Rovers loss. So we were 4 matches without a win - I'm sure that was just a wee misunderstanding rather than anything naughty..

No more from me on the game other than well done to The Pars for making the very best of it. Deserved winners by some distance.

Our QPTV interviewers are always getting a pop for uninventive questions but the new chap has opened up his own chapter entitled “Utter Nonsense” when he intimates in both post match interviews that somehow our opponents played above themselves because these country bumpkins got to play at Hampden. Dunfermline were the better team, tactically, by skill, good game management and able to score the most goals. And they wanted to win the game.

The question he should have asked is “just how long is this pish going to last for?”

41 minutes ago, qpfc said:

Thomson was the only one who could come out of that game with any sort of credibility. Even the usual ones who play very well like Spong and Thomas looked out of sorts. Dunfermline fans mentioned on here before about Thomas’ game being nullified under Peter Grant due to being placed in the middle of the park. Typically, yesterday was the first time I’ve seen Thomas in a more central role and didn’t look anywhere near as comfortable or effective. Hope that’s the last time we see that formation.

Harsh on Fox I’d say. He had a dreadful end to last season but he’s easily been one of our better performers this season. I think he looks almost back to his usual self. Everyone was pretty much useless yesterday in fairness

If he continues to be played there, expect him gone in January.

24 minutes ago, Bring Your Own Socks said:

You’ve caught my eye with that one 😳 can you point me to a reference on that please?

And me, he can't own 50% because then the SFA couldn't claim to own it. Such a shame the SFA aren't transparent about the ownership of the stadium.

The company that runs Hampden only features the top brass from the SFA and not the Lord.

11 minutes ago, CallumPar said:

Aye, it’s a bit ironic that we feel sorry for Thomas for having to deal with Peter Grant. Then he does a post-match interview that was exactly like a lot of Peter Grant’s.

If he starts talking about spinning plates then Queen's fans should be worried.

Really poor yesterday. I’d be relatively chill about up and down performances with a young side if I was seeing signs of progress - but I’m really not.

No idea what this team is trying to do on the ball, or off the ball. It just seems to be recycle possession for the sake of it, with no real idea on how to create chances. Pass-pass-slow-pass-pass-slow… oh look they’re all back in formation again. 

Surely we should be starting to see some sort of patterns or identity emerging by now? 

Fully agree with point earlier about Jack Thomson - his drive and forward passing is  such a miss from midfield - especially when Turner is a ghost. 

Poor stuff. 

39 minutes ago, Anonymous Spider said:

Really poor yesterday. I’d be relatively chill about up and down performances with a young side if I was seeing signs of progress - but I’m really not.

No idea what this team is trying to do on the ball, or off the ball. It just seems to be recycle possession for the sake of it, with no real idea on how to create chances. Pass-pass-slow-pass-pass-slow… oh look they’re all back in formation again. 

Surely we should be starting to see some sort of patterns or identity emerging by now? 

Fully agree with point earlier about Jack Thomson - his drive and forward passing is  such a miss from midfield - especially when Turner is a ghost. 

Poor stuff. 

Other tactical innovations seem to be:

1) floating all set pieces directly to the opposition goalkeepers hands

2) aim all cutbacks directly at the opposition centre halves for an easy clearance 

3) no more than 2 (ideally 1) Queen’s Park players to be allowed in the opposition box at any time during open play

4) tracking runs is optional  

8 minutes ago, Spider Rico said:

Other tactical innovations seem to be:

1) floating all set pieces directly to the opposition goalkeepers hands

2) aim all cutbacks directly at the opposition centre halves for an easy clearance 

3) no more than 2 (ideally 1) Queen’s Park players to be allowed in the opposition box at any time during open play

4) tracking runs is optional  

5) Play a high line but have at least one drop far too early and therefore play everyone else onside by a few yards