Cyprus V Scotland 8.9.23

velo army

11 minutes ago, Virtual Insanity said:

Don't want to detract from your main point as I absolutely love Adams, but it was Gilmour fouled for the second and the third is actually Hickey that is involved (no idea what he's doing there but that's this Scotland team for you). 

I did think it was Hickey, but i read on the BBC it was Adams and allowed that to sway me.

I thought our midfield press wasn't particularly good in the first half, but that's a minor gripe. Everyone was fantastic and I could afford to get pished and essentially miss the second half 🤩.

• Replies 755
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It’s an absolutely glorious but somewhat alien feeling as a Scotland fan having a match done and dusted by half time but long may it continue.

Clarke has this team flying and the confidence oozing out the side is palpable. They are stepping onto the park expecting to win rather than just hoping it.

11 straight qualifying wins is the form that the top sides show and we are truly a side folk will want to avoid next summer.

Brilliant Scotland but a special mention to McTominay. He has been unreal in his midfield role this campaign and I suppose a lot of that credit can be given to Porteous and a settled back line that lets him step out of our make shift centre half role.

10 hours ago, Gordon EF said:

Proper big team performance from us tonight. Just ruthlessly put some useless minnows to the sword on their own patch within 30 minutes and play out the rest of the game without giving a shit or breaking sweat.

The fact that Spain felt the need to put 7 past Georgia just shows their wee team mentality and inferiority complex next to us.

Punching themselves out in a match they'd already won. Bit of an amateur mistake.

Probably overcompensating after being unexpectedly outclassed in their last qualifier.

2 hours ago, Donathan said:

I was planning to watch the game at the pub on holiday but my flight out here was delayed and I ended up being in the air during the match, so having only seen the result, goal scorers and goal times, I’m obviously happy with the result and will absolutely take it but just wanted to come on here and ask about the second half performance?

At 3-0 up after half an hour we’d probably have been hoping to absolutely skud them but maybe we took our foot off the gas to ensure we didn’t pick up any injuries. 

I was assuming we'd eased up because the results against the bottom side were being discarded in the event of a tie on points, but it doesn't look like that's the case.

Might need a point against Spain to finish top and end up one of the seeds at the tournament proper which, ha ha, what reality is this where that's a legitimate prospect?  :lol:

35 minutes ago, Kevin Finnerty said:

Slightly amusing bit in McGinn's post-match where the interviewer mentions that Mctominay is now "the joint top goalscorer" (meaning across euro qualification) and Mcginn looks a bit surprised and says "Oh well, I hope he takes me over!" as if he thinks she's talking about total goals for Scotland (where JM still has a comfortable 10-goal lead at the moment).

Noticed that too, but I'm choosing to believe that Super John's planning on scoring a hatful in the final three games.

56 minutes ago, velo army said:

Che Adams might be our most underrated player at the moment. For a forward he's incredibly unselfish and a tireless worker. Involved indirectly but crucially in all three goals (I think he won the foul for the second) and does so much work off the ball.

A lad who only qualified through his granny and who was hardly battering the door down to play for us but gives 100% and is always available. I bloody love him.

Yup.  Pretty vital to the way we play. He also has the best first touch in the team.  He kind of reminds me of James Morrison in that he’s come from the English system to be one of our most important players.  

The take that he wasn’t interested last night was absolutely wild. 

10 minutes ago, AJF said:

It’s an absolutely glorious but somewhat alien feeling as a Scotland fan having a match done and dusted by half time but long may it continue.

Clarke has this team flying and the confidence oozing out the side is palpable. They are stepping onto the park expecting to win rather than just hoping it.

11 straight qualifying wins is the form that the top sides show and we are truly a side folk will want to avoid next summer.

Brilliant Scotland but a special mention to McTominay. He has been unreal in his midfield role this campaign and I suppose a lot of that credit can be given to Porteous and a settled back line that lets him step out of our make shift centre half role.

Let’s never mention his centre back days again. 

1 hour ago, velo army said:

Che Adams might be our most underrated player at the moment. For a forward he's incredibly unselfish and a tireless worker. Involved indirectly but crucially in all three goals (I think he won the foul for the second) and does so much work off the ball.

A lad who only qualified through his granny and who was hardly battering the door down to play for us but gives 100% and is always available. I bloody love him.

I'm not a fan of Adams, I'd play Dykes ahead of him everyday if the week 

Probably been mentioned, but even if either Norway or Georgia win on Tuesday it would mean the loser will not be able to qualify. That will leave us with a game against a team with little to nothing to play for. Not the best outcome for us, but not a bad booby prize.

edit: Georgia have a playoff place already, so probably better that Norway win on Tuesday if either have to as they would have that to play for at Hampden.

Edited by 2426255

1 hour ago, TheScarf said:

As someone said above it was a proper 'big/pot A team going to a shite team and finishing it inside half an hour.' job. I've never seen Scotland do that before. Spain did it too earlier in the day. 

Yip, people might not like the comparison, but it reminded me of a typical away qualifier for England.

It's on cooncil telly, so you have it on in the background just in case something funny happens, but it's over as a contest in no time.

11 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Yip, people might not like the comparison, but it reminded me of a typical away qualifier for England.

It's on cooncil telly, so you have it on in the background just in case something funny happens, but it's over as a contest in no time.

Even when you're trying to compliment our team, you have to compare us to England.... FFS man

21 hours ago, mozam76 said:

Any excuse to post this piece of late 80's magnificence. Key takeaways for me are the state of the pitch (the bounce before wee Mo scores the first, f**k me), the Jock Brown phraseology ("a prodigious leap, a POWERFUL header - seriously, why can't commentators talk like this anymore), and overall scenes as we win with a goal THAT late.

Jock Brown was a fantastic commentator, him and Archie had such distinctive styles back then, unlike the identikit commentators we get now. Peter Drury is probably closest to being a throwback of that era. 

That game was also David Narey's last game in a Scotland shirt, not a great way to bow out. Still, he'll always have the toe poke...

6 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Even when you're trying to compliment our team, you have to compare us to England.... FFS man

Is it time to start worrying about how England are going to win the next tournament yet?

6 minutes ago, StewartyMac said:

Jock Brown was a fantastic commentator, him and Archie had such distinctive styles back then, unlike the identikit commentators we get now. Peter Drury is probably closest to being a throwback of that era. 

That game was also David Narey's last game in a Scotland shirt, not a great way to bow out. Still, he'll always have the toe poke...

Jock Brown was great.  

Archie McPherson became a bumbling old racist in his last years and went on way too long.  

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

Goal difference isnt hugely relevant. 

Tiebrakers if teams are equal on points are...

- Head to head record between the teams

- Goal difference in games between the teams

- Most goals scored in games between the teams

Then overall goal difference.

One point against Spain and, because of the head to head and who has still to play each other, we've qualified. 

43 minutes ago, StewartyMac said:

In fairness, he still went on to win the league cup with us. He's the type of person who will have thousands of incredible stories but he doesn't want to do interviews, which is completely fair. The polar opposite of how things are today.