Cyprus V Scotland 8.9.23

velo army

1 hour ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Archie MacPherson always was, and absolutely remains, a hopeless idiot.  

No amount of nostalgia changes that. 

As much as that is true, he had a very distinctive commentary voice. Too many of the current crop all sound the same. And that's much the same for the English contingent as well. Darren Fletcher and Guy Mowbray might as well be the same person. Same with Liam MacLeod and Rory Hamilton up here. 

• Replies 755
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

In fairness, was that not just the name mangling nonsense of a daft old goat? 

He did that sort of stuff throughout his career.  

I'm not naturally inclined to defend him, but a charge of racism on that evidence seems a bit harsh.

I vividly remember him doing the commentary for Romania Sweden in USA 1994 (I think it was on Eurosport) and pissing myself laughing at the sheer number of different pronunciations he had in the same game for the same player, namely Florin Raducioiu.

Ra-DOOCH-ee-oh! Radu-CHOI-oo! Raduchi-OH! 

His mispronunciations weren't sinister IMO, just general haplessness.

4 hours ago, BTFD said:

I was assuming we'd eased up because the results against the bottom side were being discarded in the event of a tie on points, but it doesn't look like that's the case.

They are not discarded for purposes of deciding the group, but they are for purposes of ranking the qualifying nations. 

@RandomGuy.

I disagree about GD not being particularly relevant. It's highly unlikely we are going to end up tied with two other nations on points, so assuming we do end up tied with Spain having lost the return fixture 2-0, it will be overall GD that determines who wins the group.

I can understand why they appeared to let up a bit from the 2nd half kick-off, but I would have liked to have seen them push a bit more for 10-15 minutes at least just to see if they could have pinched another couple of goals. Cyprus had a few shots from range, but only really created one decent chance, so I don't think there was much in the way of risk to consider tbh.

Aye getting players' names wrong isn't racist. That's a daft thing to call him unless there is some evidence of him having called Darcheville a "lazy thick n****r" or something. 

I'm in the minority who actually likes Liam McLeod, but aye, having commentators who are articulate and seek to add colour to their commentary through clever bons mots or imagery. Jock Brown was great, I liked Archie, but I couldn't stand Gerry McNee who sounded like a Dalek.

Anyway, back to this team. I'm glad I don't have to wait very long to see them play again. That last three months went bloody slowly.

44 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

In fairness, was that not just the name mangling nonsense of a daft old goat? 

He did that sort of stuff throughout his career.  

I'm not naturally inclined to defend him, but a charge of racism on that evidence seems a bit harsh.

Repeatedly calling him Darkieville after, presumably, being told or at least not checking the pronunciation seems more than off to me.  Senility I guess.  

But this is a complete non issue.  We both seem to support a good team.  And it’s been a long long time since either of us could say that.  

4 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

It was a beautifully worked goal, but if our goalkeeper had done that, I'd be a bit mad.  I've no idea how he got wrong footed.  Everything about McGinn's shape said it was going to that side.

I thought that he thought the defender was covering that side and he would get the middle to left, he was wrong.

22 hours ago, GroundskeeperWillie said:

Every time I see these, I instantly think of the magnificent (well maybe not) Graeme Souness Vector Soccer for the Amiga.  Fairly sure the goalkeepers in that game had a similar reaction speed

image.png.01490f992318fd7e356934f25d20e538.png

It's "Striker" for me (ZX Spectrum classic)

zx-spectrum-striker-screenshot.png

4 hours ago, Savage Henry said:

Repeatedly calling him Darkieville after, presumably, being told or at least not checking the pronunciation seems more than off to me.  Senility I guess.  

I think it's a painfully tenuous stretch to call that racism, especially when it's mainly your spelling of his pronunciation that makes it look sinister. 

Pronouncing the "che" as "key" is completely consistent with his clumsy style, as pointed out by other posters with the likes of his butchery in pronouncing "Florin Raducioiu".

Edited by Gordopolis

3 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Possibly, but I didn't think you were that old.

Well I withdraw my claim then. It’s detracting  from the celebratory mood and it’s neither here nor there.  I’m happy to leave it as a butchering of foreign names by someone who should do better. 

Edited by Savage Henry

10 hours ago, 2426255 said:

Probably been mentioned, but even if either Norway or Georgia win on Tuesday it would mean the loser will not be able to qualify. That will leave us with a game against a team with little to nothing to play for. Not the best outcome for us, but not a bad booby prize.

edit: Georgia have a playoff place already, so probably better that Norway win on Tuesday if either have to as they would have that to play for at Hampden.

In the event of Tuesday not being a draw between the two sides, I would rather Georgia won than Norway. Norway are better than Georgia and the Norwegians face Spain at home rather than away, which makes it an ever so slightly easier ask.

It's most likely all going to be irrelevant anyway because we'll get a result somewhere, but aye, if it's not a draw then the Georgia win would be preferable.

Edited by Nightmare

14 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

Well I withdraw my claim then. It’s detracting  from the celebratory mood and it’s neither here nor there.  I’m happy to leave it as a butchering of foreign names by someone who should do better. 

In the world of P&B, that simply won't do. 

You're obliged to defend your position to the death, even if you no longer believe in it.  I do it all the time.

1 hour ago, Gordopolis said:

It's "Striker" for me (ZX Spectrum classic)

zx-spectrum-striker-screenshot.png

Glad it wasn't just me.

That needle moved faster than the eye could register by the time you got to international games  :shutup

33 minutes ago, Willie adie said:

Jock Brown was a great commentator.

Along with David Begg and Alistair Alexander.

These are great shouts. I would occasionally listen to a match on the radio rather than watch it, simply because their commentary was better than anything on telly. Bonkers behaviour tbh.

56 minutes ago, Nightmare said:

In the event of Tuesday not being a draw between the two sides, I would rather Georgia won than Norway. Norway are better than Georgia and the Norwegians face Spain at home rather than away, which makes it an ever so slightly easier ask.

It's most likely all going to be irrelevant anyway because we'll get a result somewhere, but aye, if it's not a draw then the Georgia win would be preferable.

Norway also have a player who could win 3 games in a row almost single-handedly, Georgia, as good as "Kvaradona" may be, don't.

28 minutes ago, BTFD said:

Glad it wasn't just me.

That needle moved faster than the eye could register by the time you got to international games  :shutup

The game always crashed out at some point too - I could never get through a full career.

It pissed me off so much I actually wrote a new version of the game 😂🤓

26 minutes ago, Gordopolis said:

The game always crashed out at some point too - I could never get through a full career.

It pissed me off so much I actually wrote a new version of the game 😂🤓

Holy shit - get it uploaded!