Queen's Park vs Ayr - Friday Night Fitba'!

22 minutes ago, Stuntiethumper said:

Quite a few Ayr fans were calling for Lee Bullen to get sacked. Last night's result probably saved his job. How do Ayr fans feel about that? Was he ever at risk of getting the bullet?

It's not a straightforward situation at Ayr this season. This isn't all on him but change needs to happen and removing him would probably help the most. Certain milestones mask a very poor situation and definitely a case can be made for more time to be given. One of these ones where it will all come out in the wash and a situation needs to play out. Probably not good for the average fan but hopefully our new stand opening will compensate in the future

Our MD won't sack him yet as not seen much evidence of him making difficult decisions. For me staying in this division by a point is the objective for this season. Still think he will be gone in the next few months

43 minutes ago, AyrExile said:

It's not a straightforward situation at Ayr this season. This isn't all on him but change needs to happen and removing him would probably help the most. Certain milestones mask a very poor situation and definitely a case can be made for more time to be given. One of these ones where it will all come out in the wash and a situation needs to play out. Probably not good for the average fan but hopefully our new stand opening will compensate in the future

Our MD won't sack him yet as not seen much evidence of him making difficult decisions. For me staying in this division by a point is the objective for this season. Still think he will be gone in the next few months

I just don’t get this at all - what kind of club finishes second one season and then is happy to avoid relegation by a point the next? 

That certainly isn’t the sign of a coherent on field plan that will see us kicking on in the future. 

8 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

I just don’t get this at all - what kind of club finishes second one season and then is happy to avoid relegation by a point the next? 

That certainly isn’t the sign of a coherent on field plan that will see us kicking on in the future. 

Sorry that is my personal opinion of where we can get to and not that of the club. The club will have much higher goals

2 minutes ago, eez-eh said:

No one at the club has said that have they? Just a few on here.

It was either Bullen or Mathie a few weeks ago saying the aim was top 4.

Just now, AyrExile said:

Sorry that is my personal opinion of where we can get to and not that of the club. The club will have much higher goals

Yeah, the club has said it is aiming for top four. I just meant I’ve seen a few people on here saying it. 

I can understand it given the start and recruitment obviously if it is taking that into account!

39 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

We were nearly promoted by accident. If we had been genuinely serious about going up, there’s no way Murray would have been allowed to leave. The foundations started to crumble on January 31, the arse fell out of it shortly afterwards and has never been welded back on. 

Edited by an86

1 hour ago, No_Problemo said:

In my opinion, we are treading water until extra income is generated by the off field ventures (new stand and hospitality) aligned with the hub, increase in advertising and potential player sales.

Only then, again in my opinion, will we see expenditure on the team to match a true challenge for the title and promotion.

14 minutes ago, AUFC 1910 said:

In my opinion, we are treading water until extra income is generated by the off field ventures (new stand and hospitality) aligned with the hub, increase in advertising and potential player sales.

Only then, again in my opinion, will we see expenditure on the team to match a true challenge for the title and promotion.

Yeah - but there’s a difference between challenging for the title/promotion and challenging for fourth place - where to be blunt you are never getting promoted from. 

Finishing somewhere around the playoffs gives you something to build upon, finishing eighth requires wholesale changes to your team again and would be a major failing of management and recruitment. 

1 hour ago, an86 said:

We were nearly promoted by accident. If we had been genuinely serious about going up, there’s no way Murray would have been allowed to leave. The foundations started to crumble on January 31, the arse fell out of it shortly afterwards and has never been welded back on. 

I don’t think it’s ever as simple as that. If Murray wanted to go then there isn’t a whole lot the club can do about it. He’s not a young player who could afford to wait and take a chance on QP getting up. It was very likely his last chance at playing in the top flight. 

We saw a dip with Dipo post January as there were apparently difficult conversations with him when we didn’t sell him but ultimately he started to perform again and we ended up second. There’s no guarantee that Murray could’ve been convinced to stay and there’s a fair chance he put his foot down and forced the move. 

Players have too much power ultimately these days and if someone wants to leave so much that they can’t be talked round then the club is ultimately powerless to resist. 

45 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

I don’t think it’s ever as simple as that. If Murray wanted to go then there isn’t a whole lot the club can do about it. He’s not a young player who could afford to wait and take a chance on QP getting up. It was very likely his last chance at playing in the top flight. 

We saw a dip with Dipo post January as there were apparently difficult conversations with him when we didn’t sell him but ultimately he started to perform again and we ended up second. There’s no guarantee that Murray could’ve been convinced to stay and there’s a fair chance he put his foot down and forced the move. 

Players have too much power ultimately these days and if someone wants to leave so much that they can’t be talked round then the club is ultimately powerless to resist. 

It really depends on who you believe. He’d signed a pre-contract and said he was quite relaxed about staying. Others within the club claim otherwise. However, lots of claims have been made over the past couple of years from people within the club, so I know who I’m inclined to believe.