Coaching Carousel 2024

lichtie23

1 hour ago, Nightmare said:

Bill Belichick leaving NE.

Not unexpected, but still a big deal.

Got to imagine that’s the final HC domino fallen now. Vrabel or Mayo to take over there seem like strong possibilities, but the bigger question is where does BB land?

Seen an absolutely off the wall suggestion than Belicheck will replace Nick Saban at Alabama. Absolutely no chance of that happening in my eyes.

19 minutes ago, Craig fae the Vale said:

Seen an absolutely off the wall suggestion than Belicheck will replace Nick Saban at Alabama. Absolutely no chance of that happening in my eyes.

Nah, not when he’s only 15 wins off the NFL win record.

Just now, Nightmare said:

Nah, not when he’s only 15 wins off the NFL win record.

I think our Atlanta correspondent might have cracked their plan tbh. Put Belichick in a fairly weak division, find the answer at QB (Fields, Cousins, draft etc) and take advantage of their talented players on offense. That could easily be a playoff team.

I’m slightly devastated by Bill leaving New England. The last few seasons haven’t been great but I was more than happy for him to stay long enough to pass the overall wins record held by Don Shula. Even this season we still had the 6th best overall defence so there is something to work with for next season. 
Not sure who to be mad at this but for the moment I’m going to stick with Eli Manning. 

5 hours ago, Nightmare said:

Got to imagine that’s the final HC domino fallen now. Vrabel or Mayo to take over there seem like strong possibilities, but the bigger question is where does BB land?

Pouring one out for the sellers of sports balls in the North East USA.

Belichick, Brady, Gronkowski, Edelman, Amendola & Co now all gone from the Patriots. The dynasty is officially dead.

Good. Cheerio, and GTF. 😛

Edited by pozbaird

1 hour ago, pozbaird said:

Belichick, Brady, Gronkowski, Edelman, Amendola & Co now all gone from the Patriots. The dynasty is officially dead.

Good. Cheerio, and GTF. 😛

And that special teams captain Slater, was acting like he's retiring too....

10 hours ago, Nightmare said:

Must be Vrabel, surely 

Had a suspicion that I'd be participating in this thread this year, but not quite as soon as this. Suppose the Hawks want to move quickly before the better candidates are snapped up.

Lots of Pats fans wanted Belichick fired and I think they’ll be made to look like fools pretty soon. Had one of the best defenses in the league this season despite injuries and 2 QB’s who turned it over 100 times a game. Hopefully at  least get a decent pick for him 

At what point does BB carry the can for the state of the Pats O though? He is the GM who drafted both of those QB's, he also spent a first round pick on N'Keal Harry, and reached on the likes of Cole Strange instead of actually finding viable offensive weapons.

There's no debating his greatness as a coach, but the mess the Pats O is in is entirely his doing given that he also controls the appointment of his assistants, and felt comfortable having Matt Patricia oversee his offense.

1 minute ago, peasy23 said:

Apparently written into his contract that he would get the HC job if/when Belichick left. Never heard of that before.

They must be confident in his ability then. 

He was a cracking player in this day 

He's played a big part in building the 49ers roster over the last few years. He's not going to be GM in Washington though, reports are that he will be President of Football Operations with his first task to appoint the new HC.

Edited by peasy23

On 11/01/2024 at 12:21, Nightmare said:

Mayo got the job. Were you in the know? 😉

16 hours ago, The Golden God said:

Lots of Pats fans wanted Belichick fired and I think they’ll be made to look like fools pretty soon. Had one of the best defenses in the league this season despite injuries and 2 QB’s who turned it over 100 times a game. Hopefully at  least get a decent pick for him 

I not so sure about that to be honest.

Everyone runs their course eventually, regardless of their past achievements. He should go down as a legend for what he's achieved but a change was definitely needed. Him also having the GM role could be argued was his eventual undoing.

The elite teams these days can easily put 30 points on opponents when they're on top form, you just never felt that Belichick's teams in recent years were ever getting close to reaching that output.

34 minutes ago, BukyOHare said:

Mayo got the job. Were you in the know? 😉

Kraft has talked glowingly about him for years, and Mayo got a new contract last year when he possibly could have taken other jobs, which suggested the Pats had told him he’d be next man up. And so it has proven.

Doesn’t feel like the most inspiring hire. Continuity at a time where they probably should have gone in a different direction.