Cosmetic Surgery

2 hours ago, RuMoore said:

That's what I think @BFTD looks like. 

That man/woman put more thought into their appearance in that three hour tattoo session alone than I have in the past twenty-five years.

7 hours ago, Gnash said:

I'm considering getting a minor procedure on my face that should improve things a bit.  It's something that should make me look a little younger,  definitely not 'enhancing' anything.

For context I'm a man in his 40s who's dating after separating from my long term partner.  Definitely wouldn't be considering this if I wasn't dating, but photo-based dating apps are fúcking brutal.

I read this in an Alan Partridge voice - sorry 😅

16 hours ago, GHF-23 said:

My wife is from the States as well and a few of her friends - women 28-32 or so - get botox fairly regularly in target areas round the eyes etc for wrinkles. Seems a bit odd to me at that age but you wouldn't notice if you didn't know tbf. One of her cousins has had her lips done and it looks horrendous. 

16 hours ago, TxRover said:

Botox is an interesting case, as use over time has cascading impacts. Repeated Botox in the same area weakens the muscles and can thin the skin too. As the muscles weaken, they “recruit” adjacent muscles, which then need treatment and get weaker too. This is what results in what has become known as Botox face, or a preternaturally immobile face as the use loses the ability to control facial muscles and generate facial expressions.

Thinking about it, that would explain the sameness of expression over multiple events and years on people like Melania Trump, for instance.

I had it twice in Hong Kong over a period of a year or so.  Not for vanity reasons though, to cure a muscle twitch right under my eye which was annoying as f**k. It was ok the 1st time but after the 2nd it took weeks before I could smile naturally and it was months before the tightness wore off (settle Kenneth).  Almost as uncomfortable as the condition it was curing.  

10 hours ago, Ross. said:

Went out with a girl a long time ago who was, without question, an absolute worldy. 10/10 looks with no make up, flawless skin, long legs, magnificent arse, small waist and toned stomach. She stood out as spectacularly gorgeous even in groups of incredibly attractive women, and was constantly being chatted up by men(and women, for that matter). She only had a b cup and always said she wanted to get them done, which she eventually did(after we’d parted ways). She absolutely didn’t do it to attract anyone. I think in her case it was because it was the only thing about her anyone could possibly say anything negative about, which, given her looks was not that unusual due to the levels of jealousy she would cause others to feel.

Presumably she had terrible eyesight and no sense of smell.

26 minutes ago, Melanius Mullarkant said:

Presumably she had terrible eyesight and no sense of smell.

I struggled to see what was in it for her to be honest, not that I was complaining.

1 minute ago, Ross. said:

I struggled to see what was in it for her to be honest, not that I was complaining.

No judgement on her, but there's something deeply sad about somebody being considered aesthetically pleasing by society, yet still feeling that they need cosmetic surgery in the hope that it'll make them feel better about their looks. Reminds me a bit of the phenomena around wealthy people genuinely feeling like they never have enough money. 

Also, it's been a while since we've had a good humblebrag, so well played  :P

5 minutes ago, BFTD said:

No judgement on her, but there's something deeply sad about somebody being considered aesthetically pleasing by society, yet still feeling that they need cosmetic surgery in the hope that it'll make them feel better about their looks. Reminds me a bit of the phenomena around wealthy people genuinely feeling like they never have enough money. 

Also, it's been a while since we've had a good humblebrag, so well played  :P

On the first part, I think the two examples you use are quite apt. A lot will come down to the circles you mix with and how you perceive yourself amongst your peers. She had done a fair bit of modeling work so probably compared herself to the girls she knew from that background, rather than the lot she went to Uni with(I knew one of them, which is how I met her). Likewise, I know a couple of guys over here who are billionaires, or certainly close to it. If that was me I’d have jacked in work and flung myself balls deep into spending it, but they compare themselves to the guys the founded companies with, or competitors in that respect, and they still feel they need more to compete.

"just started a new metalwork course at the community college - look what I made from some leftover tin after class lol"

21 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

No chance. I would at least get a bit of grudging respect if I elected to surgically have my hair restored. 

If I showed up with a fully superglued mop on my head to the game tomorrow though, acting like nothing was out of the ordinary, I'd rightly get hounded relentlessly.

A chap at my last church wore a wig and it was so obvious. One year he returned from his holidays with no wig and he looked so much better.