The Annan, Kelty, Stirling & QoS who's gonna bottle it thread

1 hour ago, Kelheart said:

, The game at Stirling is huge and may swing the momentum for one of them , I genuinely think Annan have enough about them to pull it off and stay safe so one of SA or QoS for me at this stage 

That is my worry about the Stirling game they play  a physical game we have players who disappear when the going gets tough .

Stirling will be 100 % up for the game some of our players will not.

I really can see all teams level next Saturday night still think Queens don't have the desire or bottle to keep away from 9th .

4 hours ago, Greenacres said:

That is my worry about the Stirling game they play  a physical game we have players who disappear when the going gets tough .

Stirling will be 100 % up for the game some of our players will not.

I really can see all teams level next Saturday night still think Queens don't have the desire or bottle to keep away from 9th .

Like a broken record 

On 13/04/2024 at 19:21, DoonhamerDon said:

Assuming both Stirling and Annan beat Edinburgh then we're all level really and it will be a straight shootout from the other games

Edinburgh had a good result to beat Montrose tonight.

Maybe Annan and Stirling both beating Edinburgh isn't the certainty that many are assuming.

9 minutes ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

Maybe Annan and Stirling both beating Edinburgh isn't the certainty that many are assuming.

Agreed but similarly the Cove defeat by Annan on Saturday and tonight's Montrose defeat makes both those teams games against Queens more vital in the chase for play off points. Tougher games for Queens.

At the end of the day it's down to your owns teams attitude and application - sprinkle in a little luck too.

Annan are on a good run of form ATM, very important especially at this stage of the season. 

Feel our 3 games will all be about fight, desire and leadership, that's what really frightens me about most of our lot and our leader!

9 hours ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

9 hours ago, WattersIsGod said:

I'm taking taking nothing for granted

You and me both

14 hours ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

In the context of fighting to stay up I want us to be assuming that Annan and Stirling have those 3 points locked in. Any slip up would be a massive bonus obviously but it needs to be seen as that.

If we are relying on other sides slipping up to that extent then we really are in trouble. 

1 hour ago, DoonhamerDon said:

In the context of fighting to stay up I want us to be assuming that Annan and Stirling have those 3 points locked in. Any slip up would be a massive bonus obviously but it needs to be seen as that.

If we are relying on other sides slipping up to that extent then we really are in trouble. 

Yep, not for a moment suggesting we should remotely be relying on this. Just making the point that it wouldn't be the major shock that some are suggesting if one of Annan or Stirling don't beat Edinburgh.

Edited by Distant Doonhamer

As most people have predicted, Kelty have pulled themselves from trouble 

Some absolutely massive head-to-heads in the remaining fixtures between the other three:

Cove Rangers vs Alloa Athletic
Edinburgh City vs Annan Athletic 
Falkirk vs Kelty Hearts 
Montrose vs Hamilton Academical
Stirling Albion vs Queen of the South

Alloa Athletic vs Hamilton Academical
Annan Athletic vs Falkirk 
Edinburgh City vs Stirling Albion
Kelty Hearts vs Montrose
Queen of the South vs Cove Rangers

Cove Rangers vs Edinburgh City
Falkirk vs Alloa Athletic
Hamilton vs Kelty Hearts
Montrose vs Queen of the South
Stirling Albion vs Annan Athletic

Looking at how results might pan out it may well all come down to goal difference between two teams or possibly all three. Stirling would appear to be at a clear disadvantage in that regard, and the -16 just from their two visits to Falkirk and Hamilton isn't looking too clever now 

I reckon whoever finishes 9th will have too much for the League 2 sides, though having to negotiate two 2-legged ties just to stay in the same division always feels pretty perilous 

Edited by NavyBlueArmy1876

Continuing to grasp wildly at any last pathetic straw available ... I think one thing that may be in Queens favour is that two of the remaining three games are away from Palmerston where our truly appalling home record (Embra and Annan aside) offers the square root of SFA hope regardless of the opposition.

So saturday's game at Stirling is our huge opportunity - win it and I think we'll be fine, lose it and it's a case of ... "Achtung iceberg" ...!

[By way of explanation - I had the dubious pleasure of watching Titanic overdubbed in German multiple times on TV a few years ago whilst working abroad ... sorry, in advance.]

14 minutes ago, NavyBlueArmy1876 said:

I reckon whoever finishes 9th will have too much for the League 2 sides

Dumbarton are unbeaten in their last 5, winning 4 and drawing 1, with 4 straight clean sheets. Peterhead are also unbeaten in their last 5 and have a knack for stealing important goals late in games. Dumbarton have also already put 5 past Annan in the Scottish Cup this season. As I've said previously it may well be that 9th stays up but I think the League 2 sides will put up a very good fight and it's a brave man that calls it before a ball is kicked. 

3 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Dumbarton are unbeaten in their last 5, winning 4 and drawing 1, with 4 straight clean sheets. Peterhead are also unbeaten in their last 5 and have a knack for stealing important goals late in games. Dumbarton have also already put 5 past Annan in the Scottish Cup this season. As I've said previously it may well be that 9th stays up but I think the League 2 sides will put up a very good fight and it's a brave man that calls it before a ball is kicked. 

No way I'd be confident of a 9th placed side winning through the playoffs (of course it does/can happen) because a lot of it is about momentum and confidence - you have lower league sides who are generally (as you correctly point out) used to winning and now playing a side that's low on confidence, under pressure and finding wins hard to come by.  That often levels up any perceived difference in quality - not that I'd imagine there is much difference in quality.

28 minutes ago, NavyBlueArmy1876 said:

I reckon whoever finishes 9th will have too much for the League 2 sides, though having to negotiate two 2-legged ties just to stay in the same division always feels pretty perilous 

Every season I read this from people...and I'm not sure how they think that. Since the Play Offs were introduced, I tend to find the team with the most momentum are the one that achieves the aim. It's not fool proof of course, but as a generalisation.

10 minutes ago, Otis Blue said:

So saturday's game at Stirling is our huge opportunity - win it and I think we'll be fine, lose it and it's a case of ... "Achtung iceberg" ...!

Would have to agree with you on this one, a win for you and I think it would come down to ourselves and Annan. I really don't want this threat to go to the last day, so I hope you crumble on Saturday but I'm sure both teams will be up for it.

Looking at how the 9th place side have faired historically (red for relegated) since the play-offs were introduced, there is around a 70% chance they are doomed. Three of the five that did survive were then relegated the following season. The other two were also relegated within 5 years. Seems like it might be a bit cursed actually and 9th would be best avoided at all costs 

05/06 Alloa Athletic
06/07 Stranraer
07/08 Cowdenbeath
08/09 Queens Park
09/10 Arbroath
10/11 Alloa Athletic
11/12 Albion Rovers 
12/13 East Fife 
13/14 East Fife 
14/15 Stenhousemuir
15/16 Cowdenbeath 
16/17 Peterhead
17/18 Queens Park
18/19 Stenhousemuir
19/20 No play-off (Covid-19)
20/21 Dumbarton
21/22 Dumbarton
22/23 Clyde

Edited by NavyBlueArmy1876

2 hours ago, BB_Bino said:

I'm sure both teams will be up for it.

If it boils down to which team is more "up for it" we might as well not bother. Bartley expects his players to be automatons, follow the game plan to a T,  I doubt that he does rousing speeches that instils a bit of fire in their bellies, and it's a fair bet he'll tinker about again with defence or formation, he just can't help himself. 

2 hours ago, The Moonster said:

The promotion place-off side will put up a better fight than us. If we finish 9th we may as well start planning for L2. No chance we'll win the playoffs.