The Annan, Kelty, Stirling & QoS who's gonna bottle it thread

6 hours ago, NavyBlueArmy1876 said:

Looking at how the 9th place side have faired historically (red for relegated) since the play-offs were introduced, there is around a 70% chance they are doomed. Three of the five that did survive were then relegated the following season. The other two were also relegated within 5 years. Seems like it might be a bit cursed actually and 9th would be best avoided at all costs 

05/06 Alloa Athletic
06/07 Stranraer
07/08 Cowdenbeath
08/09 Queens Park
09/10 Arbroath
10/11 Alloa Athletic
11/12 Albion Rovers 
12/13 East Fife 
13/14 East Fife 
14/15 Stenhousemuir
15/16 Cowdenbeath 
16/17 Peterhead
17/18 Queens Park
18/19 Stenhousemuir
19/20 No play-off (Covid-19)
20/21 Dumbarton
21/22 Dumbarton
22/23 Clyde

The two Alloa examples here provide a good insight. The 05/06 team were a shambles under Tom Hendrie in the first half of the season. Allan Maitland came in but we were 12 or 14 points adrift of 9th in late January. He tightened the team up and we started scraping points. As we got closer the arse fell out of Dumbarton's season and we secured 9th on the last day. With the momentum and feel good factor growing we got past Arbroath in the semi and pumped Berwick 4-0 in the first leg of the final. It was a good Berwick team, they'd got 76 points and lost the title on goal difference, and probably had a better squad than the Wasps, but Alloa were just flying by that point. 

The 2010/11 Alloa team had much better players and were in the top 4 at Christmas but had fallen apart and hit 9th on the last day. They had much better players than the pretty weak Annan side who beat them in the play off semi but they had no confidence, belief or fight. Momentum and form, or lack of it, is crucial, more so than overall quality of player I think. 

Of the sides currently battling it out to avoid 9th Annan might well be best placed in that respect, they've been doing really well to get back into the mix. Stirling or QoS might well find it a bit harder to get a head of steam up for a potential play off battle. 

Edited by Waspie

7 hours ago, Otis Blue said:

you have lower league sides who are generally used to winning and now playing a side that's low on confidence, under pressure and finding wins hard to come by.  That often levels up any perceived difference in quality - not that I'd imagine there is much difference in quality.

I disagree with the bit in bold.  

Surely the better sides in League 2 have more quality than us?

14 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

I disagree with the bit in bold.  

Surely the better sides in League 2 have more quality than us?

... Ah, but remember, we're full time! 😏

Peterhead have a very good attacking front line with Rory McAllister, Shanks, O'Keefe, and Hamish Ritchie, all guys who could play at League 1 level IMO. Dumbarton have guys like Finlay Gray and Mikey Ruth (I suspect this might make QoS fans feel better) who will no doubt go on to a decent level next year, Durnan returning to our defence has made a world of difference too. Spartans are a good side, they maybe don't have names that jump out at you other than James Craigan and Marc McNulty but guys like Rhys Armstrong and Cammy Russell are having good seasons and are tidy players I could see playing further up the pyramid. I really don't think there will be much between any of the teams. 

2 hours ago, Waspie said:

The two Alloa examples here provide a good insight. The 05/06 team were a shambles under Tom Hendrie in the first half of the season. Allan Maitland came in but we were 12 or 14 points adrift of 9th in late January. He tightened the team up and we started scraping points. As we got closer the arse fell out of Dumbarton's season and we secured 9th on the last day. With the momentum and feel good factor growing we got past Arbroath in the semi and pumped Berwick 4-0 in the first leg of the final. It was a good Berwick team, they'd got 76 points and lost the title on goal difference, and probably had a better squad than the Wasps, but Alloa were just flying by that point. 

The 2010/11 Alloa team had much better players and were in the top 4 at Christmas but had fallen apart and hit 9th on the last day. They had much better players than the pretty weak Annan side who beat them in the play off semi but they had no confidence, belief or fight. Momentum and form, or lack of it, is crucial, more so than overall quality of player I think. 

Of the sides currently battling it out to avoid 9th Annan might well be best placed in that respect, they've been doing really well to get back into the mix. Stirling or QoS might well find it a bit harder to get a head of steam up for a potential play off battle. 

Agree with this, Waspie. It's interesting and informative looking back at those two Alloa sides and what happened to them.

I agree Annan look best placed, of the three candidates for ninth, to come through the play offs. Probably just as well as I reckon they will finish 9th.

Also think Stirling will beat QotS on Saturday.

23 hours ago, The Moonster said:

Peterhead have a very good attacking front line with Rory McAllister, Shanks, O'Keefe, and Hamish Ritchie, all guys who could play at League 1 level IMO. Dumbarton have guys like Finlay Gray and Mikey Ruth (I suspect this might make QoS fans feel better) who will no doubt go on to a decent level next year, Durnan returning to our defence has made a world of difference too. Spartans are a good side, they maybe don't have names that jump out at you other than James Craigan and Marc McNulty but guys like Rhys Armstrong and Cammy Russell are having good seasons and are tidy players I could see playing further up the pyramid. I really don't think there will be much between any of the teams. 

Peterhead not have Pawlett now also? I'd fancy them to do some damage potentially.

6 hours ago, leomessi1984 said:

Peterhead not have Pawlett now also? I'd fancy them to do some damage potentially.

We have scored 66 goals in all competitions this season shared between 14 players. Pawlett is just getting his fitness back and has already contributed four goals. A horrendous injury list this season coupled with Stenny's unbeaten run (stopped by us) might have made it a closer title race.

We have already beaten Annan this season in the cup and it's not as if we've no experience of League One.

1 hour ago, StewartyMac said:

My response to this thread is quite simple 

We're fucked. 

Ok, carry on...

QoS: hold my beer

1 hour ago, ShaggerG said:

I'd like Annan to beat Embra and Stirling to beat QOtS. Not that I've anything against Queens, just that it would make it really interesting at the bottom. 

I'd like Annan to beat Embra and QOTS to beat Stirling. Not that I've anything against Stirling, just that it would make Annan slightly less of a threat against us next week. 

Still a few twists and turns yet - no team can take anything for granted but without boasting Annan's current play is pretty good.

Then again everyone watch the Edinburgh City penalty award & goal to see the big lampost fall down for no reason.

Probably the biggest injustice in League 1 all season.

Football can be strange and unfair.

15 hours ago, the philosopher said:

Still a few twists and turns yet - no team can take anything for granted but without boasting Annan's current play is pretty good.

Then again everyone watch the Edinburgh City penalty award & goal to see the big lampost fall down for no reason.

Probably the biggest injustice in League 1 all season.

Football can be strange and unfair.

Moans about a player diving. Watches Aidan Smith every week...

Edited by 19QOS19

42 minutes ago, the philosopher said:

U are a tube

Yeah definitely me. FWIW, I assume you missed your man barging into the 'big lampost', aye?