Dead bodies lying undiscovered

No, not WaffenThinMints spare room, it’s a cheery story for Sunday night.

More and more British people are dying alone and then not being found for a significant time. A study published in the Journal of The Royal Society of Medicine tracked the figures for bodies found in this way and estimated that the numbers have risen by five times since the early 1990s.

The reasons for the rise are multiple: social changes mean more people live alone, with 30% of households in England and Wales consisting of a single person compared to 17% in the early 1970s. Family breakdown probably contributes with middle aged men the group whose ‘lives alone’ rate increased the most between the early 1990s. That probably ties into other social reasons for the increase - things like pubs, social clubs etc have reduced in number over this time period, so the pool of people who might pick up that Davie hasn’t been in for his pint in a week or something like that is reduced.  

Maybe it’s just my perception but I think people are a bit less close to their neighbours - when I was a kid my parents neighbours would come in and out of our house for cups of tea and chats, we’d run round and play with their kids as well. One of my brothers lives in an estate that’s kind of like that - all the kids playing football in the street etc - but I think it’s rare now. A lot of people dislike unannounced visitors and even don’t answer impromptu phone calls.

Have any P&Bers ever died alone and been found by a boiler repair man?

What can we do as a society to make ourselves more neighbourly?

Which P&Bers are most likely to found six months after last posting, dead on the toilet?

My next door neighbour (in a tenement) moved in about five years ago. Might have been the year before covid. I've seen him in person probably five times at most. I couldn't tell you what he actually looks like. Apparently he spent 12 weeks in the hospital at the end of last year because of insomnia. He had a parcel left outside his door last week which, according to the tape on it, contained Chinese Budo Equipment.

If you're reading this, hi. 

7 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

the pool of people who might pick up that Davie hasn’t been in for his pint in a week or something like that is reduced.  

Which P&Bers are most likely to found six months after last posting, dead on the toilet?

Your concern is appreciated.

I'm not too worried about this TBH. If people are just taking a while to be found, it's only really a concern for the poor coroner and the folk clearing up. If folk are stuck needing help and dying because they can't reach anyone...well, that's a different matter.

Dunno if my opinion will change as I drift closer to the void, but my old age nightmare is being continually pestered by nosy parkers demanding to know if I've kicked off yet. I just want to sit in my pants and rip the heid off to the centennial scud flick Liz Hurley got her geriatric son to film. Not too much to ask, surely.

A dead body was found floating in the river. The police recovered it, and found a wallet with the body. They found out that the wallet belonged to Mr. Smith. But they still weren't sure if the dead body was of Mr. Smith or not.

So they did some investigation and found out about the twin brothers Mark and Harry, who were very close friends of Mr. Smith. They are summoned. At first the police shows them the wallet, then a wrist watch and asks them if they belonged to Smith. They said yes.

The police further asked them if there was any other detail by which they could 100% verify if the corpse was of Smith or not. The twins presented a weird request.

They wanted to see the ass of the corpse. The police were surprised, but agreed. After having a close look at the ass, they screamed "This is definitely not Smith! Smith had two assholes not one!"

The police inspector asked them, "How is that possible? Did you actually see his ass when he was alive?"

The twins replied in union, "We never actually saw his ass, but everytime we both and Smith went out together, someone or the other would always say: Here comes Mr. Smith with two assholes."

1 hour ago, scottsdad said:

A dead body was found floating in the river. The police recovered it, and found a wallet with the body. They found out that the wallet belonged to Mr. Smith. But they still weren't sure if the dead body was of Mr. Smith or not.

So they did some investigation and found out about the twin brothers Mark and Harry, who were very close friends of Mr. Smith. They are summoned. At first the police shows them the wallet, then a wrist watch and asks them if they belonged to Smith. They said yes.

The police further asked them if there was any other detail by which they could 100% verify if the corpse was of Smith or not. The twins presented a weird request.

They wanted to see the ass of the corpse. The police were surprised, but agreed. After having a close look at the ass, they screamed "This is definitely not Smith! Smith had two assholes not one!"

The police inspector asked them, "How is that possible? Did you actually see his ass when he was alive?"

The twins replied in union, "We never actually saw his ass, but everytime we both and Smith went out together, someone or the other would always say: Here comes Mr. Smith with two assholes."

image.thumb.jpeg.ad2851bcc9217c3a748bdcf9eb3234fe.jpeg

When we first moved to Stirling we ived in a flat on Broad St - an old fashioned tenement type affair. Never really saw our neighbours. About six months after we moved in, they had to smash in the door of the flat below us. Poor woman had been deid for months and the stink was unbelievable. The smell lingered in the close for weeks.

Anyway, that was probably why we never saw our neighbours.

A student moved in and I was speaking to him a month or so later. He didn't know, so I gave him all the details. He moved out.

Quiet wee tenement so it was.

I watched a documentary about Joyce Vincent a while back.

She was the woman who went undiscovered for more than 2 years. She was wrapping Xmas presents when she died. But nobody noticed for more than 2 years until the housing association investigated unpaid rent.

I live on my jack, but I'm employed. If I keeled over I like to think that my employers would check on me.

Wee wummin 2 doors fae me is 100 year old (or maybe 101 now). But the house has never not got carers, family or ambulances in it. 

Guy round the corner died recently, think he sat for a wee while but haven't found out the details yet.

Edited by Busta Nut

9 hours ago, MazzyStar said:

Nothing to do with this story in particular but the economist must be the worst publication out. 

What have you got against the economist?

Listened to this story on the way into work, think it's a social fabric thing. When I was younger it was encouraged to check on elderly neighbours and see if they needed anything (or maybe it wasn't, but that's what I'm nostalgicly thinking anyway).

5 hours ago, SH Panda said:

What have you got against the economist?

Listened to this story on the way into work, think it's a social fabric thing. When I was younger it was encouraged to check on elderly neighbours and see if they needed anything (or maybe it wasn't, but that's what I'm nostalgicly thinking anyway).

I remember elderly neighbours being old cùnts, always complaining. You were glad when they died or got put in a home.

I was speeding and got pulled over by a policeman. I rolled down the window and said,

"Officer, I have to be honest. I have a dead body in the boot, as well as a hammer covered in blood, rope and duct tape."

Within minutes loads of police arrived and surrounded me and the car. They popped the boot, and it was empty. 

The policeman's superior officer came to me and said "My officer said you had a dead body, hammer, rope and duct tape in your boot."

"I bet he said I was speeding, too," I replied. 

On 28/04/2024 at 21:46, tongue_tied_danny said:

I watched a documentary about Joyce Vincent a while back.

She was the woman who went undiscovered for more than 2 years. She was wrapping Xmas presents when she died. But nobody noticed for more than 2 years until the housing association investigated unpaid rent.

I live on my jack, but I'm employed. If I keeled over I like to think that my employers would check on me.

She obviously had friends/family if she was wrapping presents.

So only people who knew her were cursing her as she never sent cards or presents any more, and no-one visited.

I give you modern society.

27 minutes ago, MEADOWXI said:

She obviously had friends/family if she was wrapping presents.

So only people who knew her were cursing her as she never sent cards or presents any more, and no-one visited.

I give you modern society.

They were probably for cats