General Election 2024

1 hour ago, Granny Danger said:

Have the various parties been asked about their position on the genicide in Gaza and the West Bank or is foreign policy not featuring in this campaign?

Foreign policy is about foreigners.  The clue's in the name. 😉

1 hour ago, Granny Danger said:

Have the various parties been asked about their position on the genicide in Gaza and the West Bank or is foreign policy not featuring in this campaign?

Are you expecting any answers other than "I believe Israel has a right to defend itself" across the board?

I very much doubt REFUK are quite ready to come out with "we should help them murder the Muslims" yet.

2 hours ago, Jedi2 said:

And good to see him in a car that doesn't comply with the LEZ, while in...the LEZ.

He's outside the Parlour at 17 Vinicombe St, G12 8BH. You can also see Papyrus (corner of Byres Road) next door.

Here it is on a map

Screenshot2024-07-0111_09_58.png.a23676ae20393a1f112f67cdf7daad9c.png

That looks outside the zone to me.

I'm also amazed that Jedi can tell that the car fails the emissions test from such limited evidence. Isn't he truthful & clever!

Decided to read the letter and leaflet from that wee rat Andrew Bowie before putting it in the bin.  When I say read, I counted the SNP references and the Scottish Conservative and Unionist party references.  A little bit surprised as only 26 mentions of SNP and 3 mentions of the other lot.  Thought there would be far more SNP mentions......only 26?

On 29/06/2024 at 09:30, Cheese said:

I appreciate that it's universally slaughtered, but that Richard Osman tweet really is the worst post on any medium in the history of the internet. It should have landed him in the Hague, or stoned to death, and the fact that it didn't, means this island deserves everything it gets, tbqhwy.

5 hours ago, Leith Green said:

BBC R4 doing vox pops in a Carluke garden centre.

They have managed to interview prospective SNP, Labour, Green, Reform, Lib Dem voters so far. 

Christ, talk about covering all your bases.......................

There are very few things more embarrassing than being a reform voter in Scotland. 

Edited by MazzyStar

2 minutes ago, MazzyStar said:

There are very few things more embarrassing than being a reform voter in Scotland. 

Believe it or not, they found two, I was gobsmacked that these fuds admitted it.

I can only assume they are ex Tories with awful views who think the current tories have too many brown faces etc.

1 minute ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

On what planet is "a four day week" being used as an example of A Bad Thing?

You'd think it's a "the country can't possible afford this!" thing, but that's just a smokescreen - the right has always had this idea that the plebs have to be kept busy or they'll get up to all sorts of deviant stuff, like drinking, smoking, fornication with loose women, and thinking about their lot in life/whether or not they need a ruling class to keep them in line.

It's the same terror that emerges when Universal Basic Income is brought up - the working class needs to be kept too busy to ask impertinent questions of their betters.

23 minutes ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

Daily Heil stretching it screaming about Putin underneath a massive banner advert with Putin's favourite British political tool. 

Edited by Oceanlineayr
Newspaper name correction

13 minutes ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

Same thing as the France Twitter video from the Tories innit.

More favourable conditions for workers = SCARY BAD

I also love the Heil suddenly being very worried about (presumably) the unfairness of FPTP because suddenly their darlings are about to take a total kicking because of it.

I wonder why they didn't show any concern when Thatcher and Johnson were getting big majorities with well under half of the popular vote.

13 hours ago, Boo Khaki said:

My concern, other than just simply having no enthusiasm for being led from Westminster in the first place, is that Labour are delusional enough to believe that this signals some sort of appetite for Labour politics, because I can not see them achieving much of anything over the next 5 years, and that is going to be against a backdrop of either Farage, or the lunatic rump of the Tory party led by some ubercunt like Badenoch or Braverman sniping away with complete impunity. I think that would inevitably lead to England's true identity as an inherently right-wing nation rearing it's head once again in 2029, and we'll be faced with an incoming government that is even more right-wing, more batsshit, more cruel and self-serving, and even more inexcusable than the shower we've been putting up with since 2019.

I'm in no way suggesting that everything was fine being led by Tories prior to 2019, but I don't honestly believe you can make a lot of comparisons between Cameron and May's time, and the arse absolutely falling out of everything since Johnson got his feet under the table. There is a venality, a cruelty, and a flagrant disregard for any form of decency and/or respect for convention that appeared as soon as that 2019 GE was over. You can see by the number of old-timer Tories who chucked it prior to that election that they saw it coming after the HoC descending into a shitshow for the entirety of the Brexit debates, May debasing the office of PM by allowing herself to be held hostage by a small group of lunatics, and agitators like Johnson just desperate to fan the flames for their own gain. 

I have no doubt that however the Tories reinvent themselves after this scudding, it will invariably lead to some version of the party that is even more repugnant and insufferable than even the current lot are. Even if they don't get their shit together between now and 2029, that leaves the door open for Farage and his bunch of racists/fascists, so whatever happens, I'm fearful that unless Starmer can start pulling magic rabbits out of his arse and somehow convince England they genuinely are better for the UK than the realistic alternatives, 2029 onwards is going to make 2019-24 look like a halcyon period.

It's becoming ever more apparent that what it means to be a Tory has shifted massively in the past 10 years and as you suggest, it's only going to get worse. 

Old duffers like Heseltine and Ken Clarke must look at this lot and think 'holy f**k, is this really what this party has become'

I very much doubt the Tories will be able to get their shit together, if Labour can be steady, if not spectacular, over the next 5 years and avoid any massive clusterfucks, then they should get another crack at it. The Tories and reform can't simply bang on about immigration for 5 years as if its the only issue facing the country and hopefully Labour stick to actually running the country rather than trying to appease a lunatic minority. 

1 hour ago, Sherrif John Bunnell said:

I received this, apparently from some speccy Tory loser. Sadly the Lib Dems are probably going to win this seat.

IMG_20240701_120906.thumb.jpg.e76a947c9bff335a8ed51155b165b3e9.jpg

if you ever wondered what the offspring of Morrissey and Ian Hislop would look like...