Affairs

BukyOHare

2 hours ago, BFTD said:

It's more expensive to pay for maids/childminders/cooks/prostitutes.

Bear in mind that (IIRC) 4% of the population are psychopaths.

‘Are you a psychopath?’ thread incoming shortly.

Cheated on girlfriends in the past but haven't had an affair since being married. Tbh it often sounds like an enticing prospect but i have some practical issues. 

The prospects. Part of the marriage deal is that you get to let yourself go. My reduced physical attractiveness reduces the likelihood of anyone wanting to have an affair with me. 

The effort. A colleague of mine had multiple extra marital girlfriends and was a nervous wreck from logistical planning and winging it. 

The cost. Dates, pesents etc. I have seen the effects of this through analysing people's credit card histories for work. It can be ruinous. 

Suppose i kind of don't want to hurt the wife either, but that comes and goes. 

5 minutes ago, BFTD said:

I genuinely thought we had one years ago  :lol:

I suppose if you have a crowd of 400 at the Recs and 4% are psychopaths then that's 16 people (well, it's bad statistical mathematics using the original data but you get the idea)

13 minutes ago, tamthebam said:

I suppose if you have a crowd of 400 at the Recs and 4% are psychopaths then that's 16 people (well, it's bad statistical mathematics using the original data but you get the idea)

No, I meant that I thought we had a psychopath thread. We absolutely have a number of psychopaths on P&B!  :P

I grew up in a smallish village and can think of 3 affairs off the top of my head where everyone knew it was going on except for the person being cheated on. I can imagine the gossip part of it being just ad bad as the betrayal itself.

The most difficult part of it is that one person is so deeply hurt and then most other people view it as gossip and find it funny. Truly awful business but it happens and will continue to happen until the end of time.

Somebody I know* cheated on his wife (Woman A, who he was unhappy with) with then-single Woman B (who knew about the situation) for a while.  He & Woman B think it was acceptable because he eventually divorced Woman A and then married Woman B a few years later.

Would be interesting to see folks' opinions on that one.

*wasn't me.

Edited by Hedgecutter

22 minutes ago, Hedgecutter said:

Somebody I know* cheated on his wife (Woman A, who he was unhappy with) with then-single Woman B (who knew about the situation) for a while.  He & Woman B think it was acceptable because he eventually divorced Woman A and then married Woman B a few years later.

Would be interesting to see folks' opinions on that one.

*wasn't me.

Surely Woman B always has that thought in the back of the head that he has done it once he can do it again, cant make for a healthy relationship 

I was involved with a married woman for a while and it was class, tbh. I loved the lack of commitment required from me. Also being younger and less mature ( I was about 25) I loved the ego boost of "winning" given that she was choosing me over her hubby. She was also pretty uninhibited, which was marvellous. She's not a great person and her husband is a class guy, so I do feel a bit bad now. They're not together either and he was well rid.

Vrouw Army had several when she was married and regrets none of them (it was a shitty marriage in the end and she only strayed when he became unsafe and abusive). I don't judge people for affairs as you don't know what their story is. Judging by the Dave Grohl thread people still get affa triggered about sex and attribute all sorts of extra character traits to people who stray outwith their relationships. 

Cheated on partners prior to being married. I was a p***k as a younger guy. Have never and would like to think will never do it to my wife. Not to mention the fact I’m now mid 30’s and a boring c**t. 

Looking back I’m pretty ashamed of being so casual about it. These things happen and it doesn’t make me terrible, but I had trust issues with women for quite a while after. Not because of anything they did but because I couldn’t be trusted myself, who could I? And there was probably a part of me felt I deserved it. Wasn’t worth the angst, guilt and hurt it caused. 

I remember when my brother's marriage collapsed. His wife put a full on post on Facebook about how she had found out about him and his mistress. He had been having an affair for ages. It wasn't a surprise to me - he cheated on pretty much every girlfriend he ever had. 

The marriage ended really badly. He came and stayed with my folks for a few days and by the end my mum was telling me how it was all his wife's fault really...

Anyway, that was about 10 years ago now. He now lives with the mistress but says he'll never marry again. 

20 hours ago, CarrbridgeSaintee said:

Affairs just aren’t worth it.  Some people seem to thrive on the excitement, but it’ll only end in heartbreak.

I genuinely don’t think I’d be able to handle more than one woman anyway! 😂

You always assume it ends in heartbreak because you are talking about affairs that were uncovered. How many affairs get successfully hidden would be the interesting stat here which we’ll never know. There must be people all of us know who have cheated and got away with it.