Treble Chasing Motherwell vs St Mirren - 28/09/24

It seems to be working okay so far but I still have a bit of the fear about our makeshift midfield 3's lack of speed, strength or height. United dominated us their a lot on Friday and I'd expect O'Hara, Boyd Munce and Phillips to be difficult too. Adding in the KVV/Scott/Mandron dimension I'm not overly confident.

1 minute ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

Adding in the KVV/Scott/Mandron dimension I'm not overly confident.

Realise you've named them as your former players, but Olusanya really is looking very dangerous at the minute. Most fans hoping he and KVV will start up front together very soon.

3 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

Realise you've named them as your former players, but Olusanya really is looking very dangerous at the minute. Most fans hoping he and KVV will start up front together very soon.

Oh aye, he's been your best striker (player?) this season from what I've seen. I don't usually buy into the former players scoring against you theory but when there's f**king four of them it does feel a bit inevitable :lol:

1 hour ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

Oh aye, he's been your best striker (player?) this season from what I've seen. I don't usually buy into the former players scoring against you theory but when there's f**king four of them it does feel a bit inevitable :lol:

KVV looked really sharp and motivated against Hearts. He is way more mobile than Mandron. Hope he starts at the weekend. 

I watched a lot of the St Mirren v Hearts game and they did remind me so much of our cup final(s) side. Hardly surprising when you have the same Manager but there were a lot of big physical players mixed in with speed up front. 

This game will tell us more about this season than any previously imho. A win and a deserved one and I think top 6 even this early is a distinct possibility. 

I think it will be our toughest game outside of Rangers at Hampden. Including the Dons away. They have a physicality that will cause us problems. Defensively we are better than last season and should cope better. Up front I think Robinson, Watt and Stama will deliver also. I just think we will get outmuscled in midfield which will possibly be quite telling.

Still really looking forward to the game and expect a decent crowd home and away fans. 

1 hour ago, welldaft said:

I watched a lot of the St Mirren v Hearts game and they did remind me so much of our cup final(s) side. Hardly surprising when you have the same Manager but there were a lot of big physical players mixed in with speed up front. 

This game will tell us more about this season than any previously imho. A win and a deserved one and I think top 6 even this early is a distinct possibility. 

I think it will be our toughest game outside of Rangers at Hampden. Including the Dons away. They have a physicality that will cause us problems. Defensively we are better than last season and should cope better. Up front I think Robinson, Watt and Stama will deliver also. I just think we will get outmuscled in midfield which will possibly be quite telling.

Still really looking forward to the game and expect a decent crowd home and away fans. 

Phillips definitely gives us a bit of added dig in midfield, but O'Hara isn't exactly man mountain, although his pressing is excellent. Unfortunately Boyd-Munce couldn't outmuscle a wet paper bag.

Midfield is our least settled area, due to injury and illness IMO. At the most, we've had a couple of weeks at best with the same midfield.

If we had Adeniran in place of CBM, I'd concede your point. Unfortunately, he seems to be permanently injured. 

At the back, now that Tanser seems to be fit, I think we'll see a settled defence. However, Gogic hasn't been as good as he's been over the past couple of seasons.

Up front Olusanya is on fire. The only question is whether Mandron or KVV will start alongside him.

58 minutes ago, ron said:

What chance of a cash kiosk for away fans. I had a quick try at buying online and it became so fkn complicated for an auld fud like me that I gave up. 

Try phoning Fir Park and see if they can help you 01698 333333, tell them you are an auld fud, we are a community club, they should sort you out.

1 hour ago, ropy said:

Try phoning Fir Park and see if they can help you 01698 333333, tell them you are an auld fud, we are a community club, they should sort you out.

I did exactly that and the brilliant woman who answered arranged 4 tickets in 5 minutes In my email inbox within another minute Your online system is a nightmare but your human staff are ace.

3 hours ago, FTOF said:

Phillips definitely gives us a bit of added dig in midfield, but O'Hara isn't exactly man mountain, although his pressing is excellent. Unfortunately Boyd-Munce couldn't outmuscle a wet paper bag.

Davor is 5'3, Halliday is miles off it, Miller is about 15. 

Maybe we should both just agree to bypass the midfield?

54 minutes ago, Danny said:

I did exactly that and the brilliant woman who answered arranged 4 tickets in 5 minutes In my email inbox within another minute Your online system is a nightmare but your human staff are ace.

I believe we use TicketMaster

5 hours ago, FTOF said:

At the most, we've had a couple of weeks at best with the same midfield.

Hope you realise you're greeting to the wrong set of fans about injuries when we've had yet another go down in the past week with a 10-12 week scheduled return.

That's the 9th guy in our squad who's injury puts them out the game for over a month.

10 hours ago, Vietnam91 said:

Hope you realise you're greeting to the wrong set of fans about injuries when we've had yet another go down in the past week with a 10-12 week scheduled return.

That's the 9th guy in our squad who's injury puts them out the game for over a month.

Not greeting.

It is what it is.

Just pointing out that we, like yourselves, have been playing different makeshift midfield formations since the start of the season.

We couldn't really do anything about Kiltie and McMenamin requiring surgery, but our midfield signings all arrived at the club totally lacking in match fitness, as they hadn't played for their clubs for about six months, due to injury or not being deemed good enough. One of them seems to have continued his injury woes with us. However, that's of our own making.

Added to that, both O'Hara and Boyd-Munce have been in and out due to injury too.

Like yourselves we've had to sign players to cover our injuries. By my reckoning we've now got nine midfielders competing for 3 places, which is too many IMO.

Our midfield has been better, but I doubt it will steamroller yours.

Edited by FTOF

27 minutes ago, FTOF said:

Our midfield has been better, but I doubt it will steamroller yours.

Obviously massively tempting fate here but I agree I don't think many sides will steamroller us - if only because the second it looks like that might happen, we'll happily concede the ball and retreat to our shape.

You can be, as much as is possible at our level, very confident we'll be organised, disciplined and hard-working in pretty much every game.

Whether we actually have some inspiration in trying to win rather than just not lose is a different matter.

2 hours ago, Handsome_Devil said:

Obviously massively tempting fate here but I agree I don't think many sides will steamroller us - if only because the second it looks like that might happen, we'll happily concede the ball and retreat to our shape.

You can be, as much as is possible at our level, very confident we'll be organised, disciplined and hard-working in pretty much every game.

Whether we actually have some inspiration in trying to win rather than just not lose is a different matter.

Aye we seem to be a team with a bit of a split personality at the moment.

Our starting 11 is definitely set up not to lose a goal and try and grind out results.

When we make our subs and drop Miller deep its as if the shackles come off and we look a different beast.

Be nice if we could find some middle ground.

FYI for anyone driving around the Motherwell area - Roadworks on the road going by the College, single lane traffic at some points.
Also digging up the road at the ASDA busstop and long ques from Tony Macaroni's all the way round, probably quite bad at the other side if coming in from Hamilton too.

I don't drive and won't make this game anyway but might need to add a few more minutes to your travel time if coming by car.

15 hours ago, AnderooMFC said:

FYI for anyone driving around the Motherwell area - Roadworks on the road going by the College, single lane traffic at some points.
Also digging up the road at the ASDA busstop and long ques from Tony Macaroni's all the way round, probably quite bad at the other side if coming in from Hamilton too.

I don't drive and won't make this game anyway but might need to add a few more minutes to your travel time if coming by car.

The lights at Asda are a shambles and should be avoided at the best of times never mind a busy Saturday afternoon. 

I stay in Ravenscraig and being down to 1 lane hasn't really affected it, though that could obviously change with the football being on and if there's anything on at the sports centre on Saturday. 

19 hours ago, Ron Aldo said:

The lights at Asda are a shambles and should be avoided at the best of times never mind a busy Saturday afternoon. 

I stay in Ravenscraig and being down to 1 lane hasn't really affected it, though that could obviously change with the football being on and if there's anything on at the sports centre on Saturday. 

This. Just don't go through that roundabout unless you're going to ASDA, Aldi or the Brandon Parade car park and don't have any choice. At the start of the works there was a fair delay getting through there, it's borderline dangerous now IMO.

Like most football fans, always a bit apprehensive when a former hero player returns (see Moult 7 days ago) but feeling quietly confident about the team we're building atm. We look more of a threat now which is good as at the start of the season, it was just set pieces when we ever looked like scoring as the team started to gel. 

Hoping Robinson can go on a bit of a run after a confidence boosting goal against Utd and Tony Watt against a former team feels like a situation he'd thrive in. Would love to see Miller drop back into his deeper role but don't see it, think we'll see a very similar team to that which played Utd.