Cashless society

96 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Pay by card/phone for almost everything these days out of convenience. Try to keep £10-20 on me in case I need it but I’ll the barbers or picking up a takeaway.

A local restaurant recently changed to cash only, saying the card fees were too much. Fair enough, but knowing the owners I wouldn’t be shocked if there were other reasons. You expect it from a manky wee takeaway but it feels a bit odd from a nice restaurant. I don’t think it will help them that the only cash machines nearby (that actually work) charge for a withdrawal.

As with most others use phone to pay for almost everything but keep a couple of notes for cash only places.

Cash definitely still has a place but I'd be up for doing away with 1,2, and 5p pieces. Round them all up, melt them down and make a statue of John Hughes or something.

Edited by Fuctifano

Being the only person with cash when a card machine is out of order is one of life's great joys.  Especially when the folk asking you for a lend have previously been calling you a dinosaur for preferring cash [smug gif goes here].

I for one prefer buying cheap goods with cash.  Usually I'll take £50 out of an ATM at a time, and that way anything on my bank statement that isn't £50 or the 'big shop' sticks out like a sore thumb (handy if looking out for dodgy transactions).  A separate entry for every single pub transaction?  No thanks.

1. Take £500 out the atm. You’ll feel like millionaire. Replace all your card purchases by instead paying with cash. You’ll soon discover what you’ve been wasting your money on; and

2. If cash didn’t exist it wouldn’t take any sort of forensic accountant to decide they’d decline my life insurance at next renewal. 

2 hours ago, Central Belt Caley said:

Card is so much easier than fiddling about with notes and coins but there is still a place for cash. 

Additionally, if someone uses the term “cash is king” there’s a 100% chance they’re a bawbag. 

The COVID conspiracy and anti 15 minute cities mob seem to have moved onto the 'cash is king' thing.

I'm glad that they decided to register an on Facebook to let us know that card payments are just an excuse for evil companies to harvest your data.

We have to keep cash so those for whatever reason the state exiles from the system, like asylum seekers, can earn an honest crust. And for those who just want to live off the grid. Who knows what future government we might have, giving up cash would give them total control down to a micro level.

Yeah its pretty simple to conclude that whilst I usually prefer card/phone for ease, its pretty stupid and asking for trouble to remove the option. For both customer and business. 

Cash only businesses and card only businesses annoy me equally tbh. 

20 minutes ago, Gibby82 said:

It's dying because young people now prefer to snort their recreational drugs from a key or small spoon rather than a crisp £20 note.

Woke nonsense. 

I imagine some people only use Google pay now so even the old edge of a bank card is a simple pleasure lost to the ages 

4 hours ago, gav-ffc said:

Work with residents who don’t have access to card so everything going cashless would be a nightmare as we can’t use our own cards and claim the money back.

When I worked in a Post Office, one of the more limber residents from the local care home would be in every other week to withdraw cash for half a dozen others. She'd go through their cards one at a time, take out the money, and we'd return each withdrawal in a change bag to go into her purse. All in full view of the queue, and we had several regular nogoodniks and ne'er-do-wells who hung around outside. To my knowledge, nothing bad ever happened, but it never felt very good seeing her go out with a few grand in her bag.

Frankly, I was surprised that making withdrawals from other people's accounts was allowed anyway, but we were just told to get on with it  :unsure:

9 hours ago, eez-eh said:

Pay by card/phone for almost everything these days out of convenience. Try to keep £10-20 on me in case I need it but I’ll the barbers or picking up a takeaway.

A local restaurant recently changed to cash only, saying the card fees were too much. Fair enough, but knowing the owners I wouldn’t be shocked if there were other reasons. You expect it from a manky wee takeaway but it feels a bit odd from a nice restaurant. I don’t think it will help them that the only cash machines nearby (that actually work) charge for a withdrawal.

I always find this argument a bit suss. For the likes of a newsagent where small purchases are often made, I can understand having a minimum spend to use card. But for a restaurant, where the average bill will be of a decent size, it doesn't stand up.

Card is undoubtedly much easier, but I’d hate to see cash phased out completely, which is what I believe is happening.

I’ve started using cash a lot more, as have many others I know.

The government being able to monitor what we spend our money on ain’t good at all tbh.

It’s also nice to put physical cash for charity tins and buskers and the likes.

Edited by CarrbridgeSaintee

Like most, I use card for most purchases but always keep around £50 in notes in my wallet anyway. Covers going to the barbers and the odd occasion where the card machine in the pub isn't working.

Amazes me the amount of people who use wallet pay for everything then are f**ked if it declines and have no other mode of payment 

8 hours ago, Bairnardo said:

card only businesses

I suspect this will eventually be tested by some nut in the courts but I suspect anywhere that let’s you have a debt against them cannot legally refuse cash.

It is fundamental in society to have a means a payment open to all to buy and sell goods and settle debts.

11 hours ago, eez-eh said:

A local restaurant recently changed to cash only, saying the card fees were too much.

I run a small business, and the "card fees" explanation is utter pish, they are miniscule.

Anyone running a business could easily absorb these tiny fractions of a %age via increasing costs by a small amount - believe me, if I can do it, its no difficult.

My business is one where traditionally people ask "do you want paid in cash, son?".

Now I dont mind being paid in cash, or bank transfer - whatever works for the punter.

But anyone demanding cash as a payment method is dodging tax - at best - and in the case of some restaurants / car washes etc are paying undocumented workers less than minimum wage in cash.