Petty Things That Get On Your Nerves...

16 hours ago, Torpar said:

I know exactly the area you mean, it's bizarre piece of town planning in that area, you drive along the street below Rosemount, think it's Howgate Street which is one way going in one direction, it then meets Church St up to the Camera Obscura which is a one way street going in the other direction, I may be imaging this but I think years ago Church Street was a two way street, which seems even more bizarre. 

I remember one day driving out of town along Glasgow Road, there is a big roundabout where it meets Lochfield/Side? Road, there are two lanes of traffic. We were in the left lane, a woman turns off the roundabout into the right lane and drives the wrong way up the street, we drove out and didn't look back.

I have only been to Dumfries once (i think it was a cup game when Goram played for you) and I ended up coming off a roundabout and driving the wrong way up a road. 

I always thought it was down to my incompetence but this makes me think it is actually a design flaw.

14 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

That's the area. Aye crazy! The best I've seen was a few months back. You know the Glasgow Road dual carriageway? I was heading away from the town and there was an old guy driving towards me. Couldn't believe it or figure out how the hell he got on that part of the road!

What was the toy shop btw? Was it Beatties (sp?) at Burns Statue or was it Newall's Toy Shop(sp?) down the vennel? Sad state of affairs but it's turning into a Ghost Town :(

Probably the same way the woman we saw did it, turned in the wrong road on the roundabout.

I believe it was Beattie's and 'The Venue' was above it, or near by.  Didn't realise there was one in the Vennel. Is there still that sports shop on the Whitesands? I remember it being a place where you could actually sports equipment rather than just trackies and trainers. Wrong thread for this I know, but I love Dumfries, great wee town!

5 minutes ago, supermik said:

An old workmate of mine did not have a clue what Subbuteo was either. He was in his late 50’s at the time! 

I once made the mistake of trying to explain Subbuteo to an American colleague. You could literally see the fear in his eyes and I have no doubt he wrote a post on the "Weirdos you've worked With" thread on the Hot Dogs and Bud Forum that very night.

I have only been to Dumfries once (i think it was a cup game when Goram played for you) and I ended up coming off a roundabout and driving the wrong way up a road. 
I always thought it was down to my incompetence but this makes me think it is actually a design flaw.

Here's me thinking it's the locals when in actual fact tourists are the problem!

Probably the same way the woman we saw did it, turned in the wrong road on the roundabout.
I believe it was Beattie's and 'The Venue' was above it, or near by.  Didn't realise there was one in the Vennel. Is there still that sports shop on the Whitesands? I remember it being a place where you could actually sports equipment rather than just trackies and trainers. Wrong thread for this I know, but I love Dumfries, great wee town!

Aye that's the place. It's called Toy Town now and it's shit. Most of the stuff is prams and actual baby equipment. There are a lot of board games but nowhere near as many actual toys as Beatties.

Aye there was one at the bottom of The Vennel right next to the car park entrance. I don't think anything has been in there since and it shut around 20 years ago. The Vennel itself is full of empty shops. The Venue is still there but it's for Under 18s [emoji38] The sports shop is probably Knox Sports. It's still there as well but now shares half the store with a flower shop. Sign of the times.

5 minutes ago, coprolite said:

I'm a Dunfermline fan, back in the Pars good old free spending SPL days, before the whole pisky administration thing I saw Queens as my wee team, but now they are very much on the same level I'm not longer a fan

2 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

Here's me thinking it's the locals when in actual fact tourists are the problem!

Aye that's the place. It's called Toy Town now and it's shit. Most of the stuff is prams and actual baby equipment. There are a lot of board games but nowhere near as many actual toys as Beatties.

Aye there was one at the bottom of The Vennel right next to the car park entrance. I don't think anything has been in there since and it shut around 20 years ago. The Vennel itself is full of empty shops. The Venue is still there but it's for Under 18s emoji38.png The sports shop is probably Knox Sports. It's still there as well but now shares half the store with a flower shop. Sign of the times.

Talk about convenience for the local youths!  

22 minutes ago, Torpar said:

I'm a Dunfermline fan, back in the Pars good old free spending SPL days, before the whole pisky administration thing I saw Queens as my wee team, but now they are very much on the same level I'm not longer a fan

it's this sort of failure to pay attention that may have been the issue in the first place. I apologise.

Only bumpkins from “rural” areas have been allowed to leave my work early. Keeping my fingers crossed tomorrow will be deemed too dangerous

Used to piss me off when worked for DSS in Aberdeen.

They would let the folk that lived out with the city leave early and folk who lived in the city were expected to cover and would happen 2 or 3 times a year.

The suggestion was put forward that as a thank you one day a year out with winter the country folk would work all day and the city folk could get a half day. Just to say thanks and a bit of payback for the provided cover.

All the managers, who incidentally lived out with the city, said no.

c***s

31 minutes ago, NJ2 said:

Only bumpkins from “rural” areas have been allowed to leave my work early. Keeping my fingers crossed tomorrow will be deemed too dangerous

I always imagine you to have the vacant look of a bumpkin. Just leave, you'll get away with it.

People who get up and stand at the front of the bus well before the buses actually reaches the stop, quite often they get up as soon as it leaves one stop with the intention of getting off at the next even though it will take at least 2 full minutes to get there. I usually sit at or near the front of the bus and c***s doing this always means I end up off last because a queue has built up right infront of me and I need to wait for about 8 people to get off. Had a woman do it last week who wasn't even getting off at the next stop meaning I had to squeeze past her as she stood right at the door just so she could be first off at whatever stop she eventually got off at. If you want to get off quick, sit at the front, if you sit at the back get up as the bus pulls into the stop not 10 fucking miles before

9 hours ago, The Golden God said:

People who get up and stand at the front of the bus well before the buses actually reaches the stop, quite often they get up as soon as it leaves one stop with the intention of getting off at the next even though it will take at least 2 full minutes to get there. I usually sit at or near the front of the bus and c***s doing this always means I end up off last because a queue has built up right infront of me and I need to wait for about 8 people to get off. Had a woman do it last week who wasn't even getting off at the next stop meaning I had to squeeze past her as she stood right at the door just so she could be first off at whatever stop she eventually got off at. If you want to get off quick, sit at the front, if you sit at the back get up as the bus pulls into the stop not 10 fucking miles before

This is an incredibly petty and irrational gripe. well done.

So much this. [emoji122]

14 hours ago, The Golden God said:

My PTTGOYN is people who use public transport then complain about it.